General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Great Floridian Ultra Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-09-19 8:53 PM

Subject: Great Floridian Ultra
Hey Floridians,tell me about this race.It looks like a really nice race to finish the year with,especially with it being a full.Would like some comments regarding it.It's either this or Ameliaman half for me to finish out my year.Thanks

2012-09-20 9:33 AM
in reply to: #4419579

User image

Extreme Veteran
England
Subject: RE: Great Floridian Ultra

I did the intermediate distance at this race in 2010.  Its a great race, well organised and a friendly vibe.  I would do it again this year but Im out of the country.

For a lot of Floridians (myself included) it can be a challenging bike course. Its not Florida flat, there's rolling hills and Sugarloaf is a pretty good climb.

2012-11-06 6:13 PM

User image

Veteran
STATESBORO, GA

Hello all!  I am going to see Mickey next weekend.  i am signed up for the iron distance 2013.  I would like to ride the bike course saturday.  Questions  1) Would the course markers (road paint or other) still be out/visible?  2) What is traffic like mid day on a Saturday for any locals?

Thanks in advance.

2012-11-07 9:07 AM
in reply to: #4486925

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lakeland

Got to give a shout out to my fellow K-stater, Go CATS!!!!

Not sure about mile markers but that is a very popular area for AM rides, out around the Sugarloaf area lots of activity. Alot of the rides start at the beach front park.

2012-11-07 9:24 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lakeland

runrustyrun - 2012-09-19 9:53 PM Hey Floridians,tell me about this race.It looks like a really nice race to finish the year with,especially with it being a full.Would like some comments regarding it.It's either this or Ameliaman half for me to finish out my year.Thanks

Very apples to oranges course comparisons on those two events. Clermont is a nice area Sommer Sports does a nice job with their races. It is a challenging bike course. Atlantic 70.3 also a nice event nice stay over vacation area, DRC also puts on a nice event, Ocean swim(cancelled this year rip current) flat bike. You wouldn't go wrong with either I've done both.

2012-11-07 9:29 AM
in reply to: #4486925

User image

Orlando

First things first, THANK YOU for registering for the 2013 Great Floridian ULTRA Triathlon.

We use chalk paint to mark our courses, and we have had some rain since the Great Floridian, so please, do not go by any marking that you will see on the roadways. Other event companies use actual paint to mark their course, which in addition to breaking several laws in doing so, makes it a real pain for honest event companies that play by the rules set forth in their event permits. Clermont and Lake County make it very well known in their permits that using anything other than chalk paint is illegal.

As a courtesy, we archive previous GFT course maps online at http://greatfloridian.com/Details/CourseMaps/tabid/75/Default.aspx

As far as traffic is concerned, yes, there are vehicles on the road, and the Hwy 19 bridge can be a bit nerve raking. Be safe out there, enjoy the mouse house, and enjoy your time in Central Florida.

Let me know if I can be of any other assistance.

See you in Clermont,
Mark 

2012-11-19 7:12 PM

User image

Veteran
STATESBORO, GA
For anyone riding the course my $.02. At mile 32.3 when turning to hwy 50 from Blakstill Lake road if you turn on the bike path you can ride it to the transition area. This is a safer route avoiding the high traffic roads and only miss 4 miles of the course. The rest of the route does not have heavy traffic or has a bike lane. Much better plan than taking the turn onto hwy 50.
2012-11-20 3:56 PM
in reply to: #4487765

As someone from Lake County (Mt. Dora) who still trains in Clermont, THANK YOU for using chalk paint!!

Because of Clermont's popularity (hills, hills, hills), it's used in a lot of races.  There are (or at least were) sections of road that get really, really marked up.

Dan

TriMarkL - 2012-11-07 9:29 AM

First things first, THANK YOU for registering for the 2013 Great Floridian ULTRA Triathlon.

We use chalk paint to mark our courses, and we have had some rain since the Great Floridian, so please, do not go by any marking that you will see on the roadways. Other event companies use actual paint to mark their course, which in addition to breaking several laws in doing so, makes it a real pain for honest event companies that play by the rules set forth in their event permits. Clermont and Lake County make it very well known in their permits that using anything other than chalk paint is illegal.

As a courtesy, we archive previous GFT course maps online at http://greatfloridian.com/Details/CourseMaps/tabid/75/Default.aspx

As far as traffic is concerned, yes, there are vehicles on the road, and the Hwy 19 bridge can be a bit nerve raking. Be safe out there, enjoy the mouse house, and enjoy your time in Central Florida.

Let me know if I can be of any other assistance.

See you in Clermont,
Mark 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Great Floridian Ultra Rss Feed