General Discussion Triathlon Talk » reality check in the pool... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-06-17 6:54 AM

User image

Subject: reality check in the pool...
being new to the trithlon scene (first race will be end of july...), i expect some doses of humble pie... for example, i'm not a fast runner. but for 207 lbs, i feel a 23 min 5k is pretty good. i used to race bikes, both mt. and road... so that's where i feel confident.

well... i've gotten just 3 pool workouts in so far (first time swimming in 3 years, and i'm not at ALL a swimmer!). so at our pool there is a tri group that meets m-w-f for workouts from 5:45-7. i intentiona;;y set up my swim days for t-th to start off. my 1st swim was 2,000 meters at about 60 minutes. 2nd was 2,000 at 52 min. i was feeling pretty good. again, i have no idea what a good swim time would be, but i figured an 8 min improvement in my 1st week was pretty good.

well, missed my thursday this week, so i went yesterday... ant the"real" triathlon people were there! ugh!!!!!!!! everyone there swam 1.5-2 laps per each of my one! i had to stop at one point to see if the guy next to me had flippers on! man, i'm gonna just get smoked in my first tri!!!!!!!! oh well... i guess all i can do is practice and try to improve my speed. i ended up just swimming really slowly (have a cold and only 5 hrs sleep that night before...) and did 3,000 meters. took about 1 hr 30. hopefully i'll make up some time on the bike! just wanted to share... good luck all!

2006-06-17 6:57 AM
in reply to: #457340

User image

Master
Madison, WI
Subject: RE: reality check in the pool...
You do know that it's virtually impossible to win a tri in the swim, right? The fastest swimmers usually get smoked on the bike and run, anyway. You shouldn't be worrying about your speed at all at this point. You just started swimming and you're already putting in more yardage than a lot of people do. You'll be fine.
2006-06-17 7:25 AM

User image

Master
Calgary, Alberta
23 minute 5k run. That's an excellent pace. And you say you used to race bikes so I'm guessing your bike speed is impressive as well. So don't be concerned about your swim times - you'll be passing loads of people during the bike run portion.

Your swim times will come down - especially given the distances you are putting in. Use the log portion of Beginner Triathlete to keep track of your workouts and times and don't hesitate to look at other peoples logs to see what they may be doing re training.

Good luck - keep at it - you're doing great.
2006-06-17 7:47 AM
in reply to: #457348

Elite
Laurium, MI
no kidding, you are already doing better then I was.  My first 5k was a 26 something and it took me a solid month and a half in the pool to hit 2000 yards and be comfortable with it.  BTW, I'm still at 2:10 per 100 sustained or 1:50 per 100 sprint over 50.  I'd say uou have nothing to worry about, just keep plugging away
2006-06-17 10:16 AM

User image

Expert
Manchester, NH

Dude,

you had the tenacity to swim for an hour and a half?  You're my hero!  With that level of 'sticktoitiveness" you're gonna be great at this sport!

2006-06-17 2:22 PM

User image

A very cool place in Colorado :)
i second that - you're ROCKIN'!

2006-06-19 8:20 AM
in reply to: #457463

User image

hey..... you guys are awesome! thanks so much for the good words of support! guess i'll just keep chuggin' along in the pool, and i'll see what happens during my first actual triathlon! i just bought somw swim stuff to help me improve... i got the pull bouy, goggoes and tri shorts. maybe i;ll also get the flippers. there are tri people at the pool, so i'll just see if someone can give me some pointers.

deannas... i'm glad to hear the swim isn't the usual deciding factor! that gives me some hope. no wi just need to get my weight down so i can be faster on the run.

calgaryrunner & vortmax... ya, my bike is pretty strong by comparison to the other two, from years of long days in the saddle. i did that 23 min 5k, but i'll tell ya, it almost killed me. my HR was btwn 180 and 190 for the whole run. i coulndn't do that in a tri... i'd probably be closer to 24:30 for that length run in a tri (i'm guessing).
i', not sure about my speed per lap in the pool... i think i average a minute per 50m. i did a couple lengthe as hard as i could, just to see how fast i could do 25m... and the fastest i could do was 22 seconds. but of course i'd stop and recover after that. i could never actually keep that up for more than 25m.

immyfish and snowgirl... thanks for the support!!!!!! you guys are awesome! yeah, i guess the time thing comes from weekends of 6-8 hrs each day on the bike when i used to race. we'd pull 200-250 miles just on weekends. that was about 7 yrs (and many pounds) ago! but still... 1.5 hrs doesn't seem too bad. i'd actually like to work my way up to a once a week 4,000 m swim. probably take me a good 2 hrs. that'd definitely get my endurance up!!!!!!

have a good monday guys...
2006-06-19 9:30 AM
in reply to: #457348

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
CalgaryRunner - 2006-06-17 7:25 AM

23 minute 5k run. That's an excellent pace. And you say you used to race bikes so I'm guessing your bike speed is impressive as well. So don't be concerned about your swim times - you'll be passing loads of people during the bike run portion.

Your swim times will come down - especially given the distances you are putting in. Use the log portion of Beginner Triathlete to keep track of your workouts and times and don't hesitate to look at other peoples logs to see what they may be doing re training.

Good luck - keep at it - you're doing great.

Exactly.

I am 125 pounds and I would be LUCKY to complete a 5K in 23 minutes!

Although, in some age groups, those people FLY when they run... doing 6-7 minute miles... easy.

And, a tri is NOT won in the swim. I am a fast swimmer, but I get smoked on the bike and run everytime.

Don't worry too much about your times... just go out there and do what you can do... have fun. You certainly will not come in last, so don't worry about.

Of course, if you did come in last, you would get the most cheers!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » reality check in the pool... Rss Feed