General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How prepared do you have to be physically for a century? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-09-22 10:50 PM

User image

Expert
McAllen
Subject: How prepared do you have to be physically for a century?

I kinda wanna do 108 miles in one go with a friend of mine; just spend all of next saturday on the bikes. We'd carry two tubes each and a hand pump (and of course lots of snackage + water)

The farthest we've gone nonstop is 50 miles. I just did 45 today and he does 40 now and then pretty regularly.

Would it be safe enough to do? Our location is extremely flat. I've had some 50ft climbs you know... over the course of like a 3% elevation grade. So I'm not worried about burning out the legs by going hard.

2012-09-23 12:16 AM
in reply to: #4423699

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: How prepared do you have to be physically for a century?

I just did my first century on friday. for reference I'll link you to the route that I took so you can decide if yours is comparable:

http://www.mapmyride.com/workout/184332025

Similar to you, my long ride was up to about 50 to 60 miles prior to attempting the century. If you can ride 50 or 60 miles with little to no difficulty, your limiting factor for distance on a bike is pretty much nutrition and hydration. I took a 32oz bottle with two scoops of HEED, and another 32 OZ bottle with two scoops of HEED and a packet of Perpetuem, A camelbak with 2L of just straight water, and five gels. I used everything but 2 of the gels. I drank the bottle of straight up HEED first with ordinary water in between sips of the go juice, then switched to concentrated bottle when that ran out, always washing down swigs of that with a good bit of water. I took gels at mile 20, mile 50, and mile 70. I was freaking starving when I finished.

My HR and speed info is all there in that link, as you can see, I wasn't exactly burning rubber but I wasn't riding at sightseeing pace either.

I learned that having a good nutrition plan is pretty crucial to enjoying the ride. I had a great time on my ride and planned it out so it would be a nice ride with the high energy fun (read: hill climbing) at the beginning and a 10 mile downhill descent towards the end. Another thing I recommend is to be prepared for sudden shifts in the weather. You are going to be out there for 5+ hours and temperatures and weather can change a lot in that time. I got rained on from mile 50 to mile 80 and the temperature dropped about 15*F during that time. I would have been really uncomfortable if I hadn't brought arm/leg warmers. Also bring a cell phone for sure, just in case that third flat happens at mile 65. ProTip: keep it in a ziplock bag if you don't have a waterproof case.

I'd say go for it, I had a blast, I'm sure you will too!

Edited by MikeK_PA 2012-09-23 12:17 AM
2012-09-23 5:56 AM

User image

should not be a problem. I have not put many miles on my bike for the last two months but still feel that I could ride 108 mile without a problem. It just would not be a fast century.

A lot will have to do with what you think you can do. Just make sure you eat and drink enough while doinng it. Bring money to stop at stores if need.

Enjoy the ride. In the past I would offten ride 60 plus miles on my own without problems,

2012-09-23 7:01 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fort Worth, TX
Since you can ride about 50 now, I think you will be fine. The main things that can blow you up will be pacing too hard at any stretch (you could blow up towards the end), not eating and drinking, or too much exposure (to wind/rain/sun). The good news is that you can plan and prepare for all of these

To complete a century ride (not race it, but complete it) you just need to be disciplined with how you ride it. You need to eat and drink during the whole ride, not wait until you get thirsty or hungry. Keep your tanks filled. I typically eat 2-3 gels each 70 minutes and go through 15-30 ounces of liquids/hour (depending on heat). This combination keeps me moving well; century rides will give you experience finding what works for you. Don't eat/drink, though, and you'll probably bonk. I see it at century rides each year - someone who is weaving, or has a "thousand yard stare," - around the post-65 mile mark.

Find a good gear that you feel you can spin all day without getting your heart rate up too high and stay there as much as possible. Don't baby it to the point you are going slow, but find a gear that keeps strain (no mashing big gears) off your legs, but allows you to spin a good cadence. A lot of times, new century riders make the mistake of jumping into the big gears and pushing the pace for a while around the 30-mile mark because they are "feeling good." It comes back to punish, or stop, them later.

I would encourage you to stop and smell the roses, too. If there is a great place to stop and have a beer, piece of pie, or lunch, put it into the ride. Make the day fun Sometimes, just stopping during the second half of a ride at a small country store in the middle of nowhere and sipping on a can of coke, or eating a Little Debbie, can make you feel like a newly crowned king.

Last thing I would recommend is getting CO2 cartridges/rig to air your flats. It is worth every penny. EVERY PENNY. Good news is that it's not expensive! You'll save lots of time and energy (from using a hand pump).

Have fun!
2012-09-23 7:55 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
You'll be fine. Good advice given already, and I would add that you should plan your route to go past a convenience store at least a few times. You don't want to be 40 miles from home and out of water.

I did 110 this May with a previous long ride of around 60 and finished strong.
2012-09-23 8:39 AM

Malvern, PA
Agree you can do it.

Don't forget to eat.

2012-09-23 8:53 AM
in reply to: #4423847

User image

Expert
McAllen

Sweet. Thanks for the tips & encouragement! I'm not much for the concentration of gels I'm thinking about just wrapping real food and stuff. Not like crazy solid but easy stuff like a sandwich sliced in 1/2. gu chompz work pretty well too

and two full water bottles and we'll stop somewhere to refill them.

2012-09-23 9:50 AM

User image

Master
Central Indiana
I've helped many ride their 1st century, and agree with others.  Take it easy 1st 25-50mi and stay hydrated/fueled.  Enjoy the ride.  You'll be fine.
2012-09-23 10:02 AM
in reply to: #4423851

Good idea on the nutrition -- real food is always nice to have.

Your signature line says McAllen.  If you are in fact down in South Texas, you can't over-emphasize staying hydrated.  Maybe tuck a third bottle in your jersey.  Good luck!

2012-09-23 10:18 AM
in reply to: #4423851

Malvern, PA
odpaul7 - 2012-09-23 8:53 AM

Sweet. Thanks for the tips & encouragement! I'm not much for the concentration of gels I'm thinking about just wrapping real food and stuff. Not like crazy solid but easy stuff like a sandwich sliced in 1/2. gu chompz work pretty well too

and two full water bottles and we'll stop somewhere to refill them.

Agree with real food.  PBJ's are good.  So are fig newtons.   Remember to drink approx 1 water bottle per hour.   I would start snacking after about 1 hour and have a bite/nibble every 15-30 minutes thereafter.

Enjoy the ride.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How prepared do you have to be physically for a century? Rss Feed