United States
Pursuit Racing
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 20m 35s
Overall Rank = 108/383
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 14/28
Pre-race routine:

After a light & early breakfast we got to the race sight early and I got my transition set up. Enjoyed watching the sunrise and relaxing for a while before the race. Had a couple of stinger waffles about 45 minutes before the start.
Swim
  • 09m 29s
  • 586 yards
  • 01m 37s / 100 yards
Comments:

The water was a little rough before the race but started to calm down a bit as it got started. Really enjoyed the swim and felt good throughout.
Transition 1
  • 03m 18s
Comments:

Slower than I'd like. For some reason the running barefoot through transition was a bit more painful. Rougher pavement? Colder feet? Not sure, but it slowed me down a bit. Other than that it went pretty well.
Bike
  • 42m 47s
  • 14.5 miles
  • 20.37 mile/hr
Comments:

Fantastic course. My goal was to average 20 and I hit that, so I was very happy. Held a nice steady pace and did a lot of passing.
What would you do differently?:

I think I can increase the effort a bit more without effecting my run, so probably push a little harder if riding a similar course.
Transition 2
  • 01m 18s
Comments:

T2 went well.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing
Run
  • 23m 44s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 31s  min/mile
Comments:

Felt very good. Left food was a bit numb and cold from the bike but not terrible. Checked my pace after a couple of hundred yards and was right where I wanted to be. Started to push my pace after the turn around.

5k PR ! That felt great to do that in a tri.
Post race
Warm down:

Found my wife and then got some food. Stayed around the finish to cheer on some other finishers and a few other racers I knew.

Event comments:

I've done a half marathon at this location as well and the volunteers at both that and the tri have been fantastic. Wonderful people and a beautiful location.

Last updated: 2012-03-04 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:29 | 586 yards | 01m 37s / 100yards
Age Group: 14/28
Overall: 116/383
Performance: Good
Suit: Sleeved
Course: Triangular swim around two buoys.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:18
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:42:47 | 14.5 miles | 20.37 mile/hr
Age Group: 10/28
Overall: 92/383
Wind: Some
Course: Great loop course along the ocean for the first mile and the last 6. The rest were back roads. Roads were in good condition. Still a little damp in some areas due to some overnight rain, but I didn't see any puddles.
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:18
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:23:44 | 03.11 miles | 07m 31s  min/mile
Age Group: 15/28
Overall: 142/383
Course: Out and back from Wallis Sands beach to Odiorne Park.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %?
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2012-09-24 9:55 AM

User image

Veteran
Maine
Subject: Wallis Sands Triathlon
Overall it was a fun day!  Got to meet BT member GreenMtnLabbit which was great.  Especially since she was the one who told me about this race back in January.  Looking forward to doing this race again next year.

Edited by cdkayak 2012-09-24 10:11 AM

2012-09-24 7:19 PM
in reply to: #4424811

User image

Expert
, New Hampshire
Subject: RE: Wallis Sands Triathlon

CHRIS!! Are you sure we did the same race? "The water was a little rough before the race but started to calm down a bit as it got started. Really enjoyed the swim and felt good throughout." Nonono, we were definitely not at the same race. Or perhaps MY wave had the rough waters and 3 minutes later, they magically disappeared?

You did great! I'm so impressed. That swim was something else. I think if I had seen photos of a swim like that, I would never have signed up! So nice to read your race report, and congrats on the 5k PR.

I hope we meet again at another race. Seacoast Half Marathon...November 11, are you doing that one?

I heard someone cheering me on around the last mile from the finish...was that your mom? I looked around, and I knew the girl behind me was named Janet because someone else had cheered for her. I was alone, so I must have been the Jessica she was referring to!

So nice to also see you along the course. I'm glad you shouted out to me because I was really focused on making it through the run (I'm not fond of running - why do they save the worst for last?) and I wouldn't have noticed you if you didn't say something.

Knowing you were at the race and out there on the course really raised my confidence. I've done my training alone for the most part, and showing up at a race where I don't know anyone is nerve wracking. Your support really meant a lot to me. Thank you for being there and making the effort to say hello. You really helped make my race day an amazing one!

Congrats on a great race.

Edited by GreenMtnLabbit 2012-09-24 7:20 PM
2012-09-25 7:53 AM
in reply to: #4425754

User image

Veteran
Maine

You should have seen the trouble they had getting the buoys out for the swim.  I was there early so I got to watch after setting up transition.   They tried 3 times before getting them out there successfully.

You did fantastic in the swim!  For someone who has learned to swim for tris just this past year, that must have been an intimidating swim.  That is impressive to me!  It was rough getting through the breakers, but I grew up going to the beach so I kind of enjoy that.

That was my mom you heard.   They really enjoyed watching the race from that location.  They didn't have to get to the beach early to park and they had a great view for the bike and run section.

I won't be at the Seacoast Half marathon this year, I may try for that one next year.  I hope you have a great race, that is a beautiful course.  I'll be doing a small half on a multi-use trail from Biddeford to Kennebunk & back towards the end of October.  Running is my weakness in these so I've been working on it a lot this year.  It's been really great that a friend of mine has been working towards some longer distance goals and I've been able to do some running with her; it's helped both of us.

I'm glad I saw you on the run too, I was hoping I wouldn't miss you.  If you ask my wife and my friend I run with they'll tell you I can have a bit of tunnel vision when running.

Edited by cdkayak 2012-09-25 7:55 AM
2012-09-25 1:01 PM
in reply to: #4424811

User image

Veteran
Maine
Some pre-race photos my wife took.

(DSC_0110.JPG)

(DSC_0111.JPG)

(DSC_0129.JPG)

(DSC_0083-001.JPG)