General Discussion Race Reports! » New Forest Middle Distance Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

New Forest Middle Distance Triathlon - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Ringwood, Berkshire
United Kingdom
10C / 50F
Precipitation
Total Time = 6h 45m 44s
Overall Rank = 150/
Age Group = 30
Age Group Rank = 27/
Pre-race routine:

Up at 4, porridge coffee banana, leave half 5 arrive at sandy balls at 6 to get coach to lake, didn't get to lake till 6.45 with race restart at 7, luckily they announced 15 min delay. get at half 6.50 race start 7.15am
Event warmup:

None
Swim
  • 51m 19s
  • 2200 meters
  • 02m 20s / 100 meters
Comments:

Lots of biff, I just stopped and let it pass and spread out, could not see buoys so I was zig zagging, didn't draft anyone as people around me were going off in different directions. V dissapointed with time my training showed I should have done 40mins do It must have been long
Transition 1
  • 06m 20s
Comments:

It was chucking it down !! And blowing a gale, so removed wet Tri top, dried myself, put on Cotten teeshirt and then bike jacket, dried legs put on socks and shoes, this was a long transition but in these conditions I wanted to be confortable
Bike
  • 3h 23m 13s
  • 56.68 miles
  • 16.73 mile/hr
Comments:

I had my new disc cover on, it was very windy, on a road I normally ride at 25mph on I was doing 12mph! But so was everyone!! It chuvked it down for the whole time & was cold! So many people had punctures, I was avoiding the side of the road abd any standing or running water as that's where thr flint would be. I stayed in the saddle for all the hills avoiding cramp kicking in and it worked. My plan for the bike was to ride easy/comfortable so that I could run the whole run. At about 30m my back started to hurt as I have not trained aero at all, so I took some neurofin hitch worked. I consumed 200cal ph by way of gels bananas and cereal bars. Hydration was zero cal and drank 3 bottles. Very pleased with my bike considering the elements and by taking it easy I was ready to run
What would you do differently?:

Train on tt bike
Transition 2
  • 06m 18s
Comments:

Was soaked through, handed bike over to be racked ran into t2 tent, found bag ok, got undressed, soaked through, kept shorts on, tried to get a compression top on, few mins later gave up, put in tech tee with visor and run belt , trainers didn't have elastic laces in so wasted some time doing laces up too. Hands were cold so was an effort to do laces
What would you do differently?:

Not try to put compression top on while wet, have a specific run jacket. Have elastic laces in
Run
  • 2h 18m 31s
  • 13.46 miles
  • 10m 17s  min/mile
Comments:

It's a tough run course, was made even harder due to the conditions, Rained the whole time and blew a gale too, was soaked through at 4 miles, picked up a companion at m5 and ran together for the rest of the run, took 2 gels, banana and 2 bottles of drink. Was running 9m miles slowed to 11. Walked all thr hills Got to last mile feeling really empty but carried on running knowing it was just 1 mile! Pleased with my mental toughness!
Post race
Warm down:

Come, lion bar walkers crisps energy bar shower McDonald's home bed!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Weather lack of aero training longer bike sessions needed and more longer bricks

Last updated: 2012-07-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:51:19 | 2200 meters | 02m 20s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Suit: 2xu
Course: Was meant to be 1900m but it was definately long,everyone said so. Normal loop is 1200m and this was not much less than that but twice! My time is 11 mins slower than last year
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 18C / 64F Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 06:20
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
03:23:13 | 56.68 miles | 16.73 mile/hr
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: New forest loop figure of 8
Road: Rough Wet Cadence: 85
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 06:18
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
02:18:31 | 13.46 miles | 10m 17s  min/mile
Performance: Good
Course: V hilly part road mainly gravel paths some off road, was very wet flooded etc, it rained the whole time was an effort to avoid puddles and mushy in places
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Bad
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-09-24 10:02 AM

User image

Veteran
eastleigh
Subject: New Forest Middle Distance Triathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » New Forest Middle Distance Triathlon Rss Feed