General Discussion Race Reports! » Deer Creek Fall Challenge - Half Iron Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Deer Creek Fall Challenge - Half Iron Triathlon - Triathlon1/2 Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Mt. Sterling, Ohio
United States
HFP Racing
55F / 13C
Sunny
Total Time = 4h 56m 25s
Overall Rank = 16/101
Age Group = M3034
Age Group Rank = 3/10
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 6am since the race started at nine. I had two Clif Bars for breakfast and sipped Gatorade through the rest of the morning until the race started. Also had a cup of coffee. It was just my brother and I so there were very little distractions once we got to the hotel the night before and we got everything ready to go. Race morning was pretty easy this time around...or maybe we're just getting better at it!
Event warmup:

Peeing in my wetsuit haha!! Really though, I had to go bad and it was close to go time and the line to the port-o-potties was long so I just jumped in the lake, did my thing, and while that seems warm enough I still did a few strokes to wake up my arms from the cold!
Swim
  • 25m 47s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 13s / 100 yards
Comments:

The swim was definitely short. I can usually swim about a 1:40 pace easily so based on that and what is in the race results I estimate the swim to be about 500yds short. I could be wrong though since I don't know exactly how fast I was swimming. But anyway, the swim went well. Took a GU before the start. It was a little crowded on the first loop but coming into the second loop it thinned out after most of the shorter distance racers got out of the water. My arms felt a little numb in the beginning, maybe since the air temp at the start was in the upper 40's and I also haven't swam in a week. That went away though, felt great afterwards just focusing on form and felt like I was cruising at a good pace.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing, it was a good swim and for HIM distance I don't really push the pace anyway.
Transition 1
  • 01m 38s
Comments:

I couldn't find my wetsuit strap for some reason. No big deal though, I got it unzipped before transition so it didn't cause me to waste any time. I brought arm warmers and gloves just like last year but for some reason I didn't feel all that cold so I didn't use them this time. I think I took off like 6min from T1 last year lol!

It was a good T1 for me so I wouldn't change anything. I can probably hurry up a bit but I'm not in a rush for HIM.
Bike
  • 2h 46m 31s
  • 56 miles
  • 20.18 mile/hr
Comments:

My goal was to stay high zone 2 to low zone 3. It was pretty easy keeping it zone 2, even low zone 2 at times, on the first half of each loop since it was flat and there was a tailwind at times. But, on the second half of the loop it's pretty hilly for this Chicagoan plus there was a good headwind, too. Got into zone 4 sometimes getting up those hills and zone 5 up the 2 big hills at the end of the loop.

I was practicing my nutrition strategy for IMCOZ which was to start taking gels at 15min into the bike and every 30min after that. I also had a Stinger Waffle at 1:45 to simulate about how long between eating it and beginning the run at IMCOZ and to see if it would bother me. Seems to have been fine so I'll probably be having two Stinger Waffles during the IM bike, one at 2:30 and one at 5hrs in. I also went through about 40oz of Gatorade so I'll need to plan on that too.

Find a race with no hill!! Ha, not really...I've learned this year that I can race on SOME hills even being from flat 'ol Chicago.
Transition 2
  • 01m 58s
Comments:

I took my time a little here...I really had to use the bathroom! Didn't do anything special, just took my helmet and glasses off and put my socks, shoes, and visor on. Also grabbed 2 gels. I walked to the run out line...it was pretty close so it's not like it took a whole lot of time from me.

Again...maybe just put some fire under my butt, next time!
Run
  • 1h 40m 29s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 07m 40s  min/mile
Comments:

Ah...I exceeded my goal on this one. Last year I walked a bunch and ended up with a 1:52:30. This time I was hoping to stay in low zone 3 and end up with a 1:45...although my training was telling me that a 1:40 was possible so I left that as my stretch goal. I actually went out WAY too fast and it really didn't feel like it. I thought my Garmin was just giving me bad info until I hit the one mile marker and my watch beeped at the same time. That mile split was a 7:10 and I knew I had to stay somewhere in the 7:50's. My HR was up there so I slowed down a bit but was still feeling great keeping it around mid to high zone 3. I kept this up for about 10mi.

During those 10mi though, I could feel the liquids sloshing around in my stomach from stopping at the aid stations. It would slosh around a bit, then go away, I'd stop by another aid station and it would do it again. It didn't slow me down or anything but it was just a little annoying. I skipped a few aid stations for this reason, but I seemed hydrated enough.

Going into the run I was thinking if I felt ok that I would hammer out the last 3mi...and that's what I did. I passed up the 3mi marker (3mi from the start so I knew I had that much left) and upped the pace. That first mile was a 7:10, the second was 6:57, and I was hoping to go faster again but I just couldn't keep that up and ran 7:04 for the last mile.

Oh yeah, at the beginning of the run, right outside of transition, I stopped at the port-o-potty and also stopped my watch. My watch time for the run was 1:38:26...that's 2min and 3sec in the bathroom!! They really need to put that port-o-potty in transition lol. Would have had an official avg of 7:32/mi which is way faster than I had a goal for.

Nada! I'm extremely happy with the run and it's given me some extra confidence for IMCOZ.
Post race
Warm down:

I was wating for my brother to finish so I walked around a bit then laid down with a towel over my face.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Actually, everything seemed to have come together for this race and I'm more than happy with it. Can't really complain when you pick up an Age Group podium spot...3rd place M3034!!

Event comments:

Great race! No huge expo or finish line activities, but for the cost of the race no one can really complain. If I could get out to Ohio with no problem every year I'd do it...but I also like to try new races, too. I recommend it, it's a good small race and a great course!

Last updated: 2012-04-23 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:25:47 | 2112 yards | 01m 13s / 100yards
Age Group: 3/10
Overall: 19/101
Performance: Good
Suit: Xterra Vortex 3
Course: Rectangular 2 loops.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:38
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
02:46:31 | 56 miles | 20.18 mile/hr
Age Group: 4/10
Overall: 35/101
Wind: Some
Course: 3 loops with the first half of the loop being flat and the second half hilly (for me at least!)
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:58
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
01:40:29 | 13.1 miles | 07m 40s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/10
Overall: 10/101
Course: 2 loops, flat.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Too much
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-09-24 11:10 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago
Subject: Deer Creek Fall Challenge - Half Iron Triathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Deer Creek Fall Challenge - Half Iron Triathlon Rss Feed