RedMan Triathlon
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 10m 10s
Overall Rank = 79/589
Age Group = M50-54
Age Group Rank = 4/40
Pre-race routine:

Had some un-forseen business trips a few weeks before this race which caused me to modify my training a little. Thought a trail half marathon and olympic tri the week before might help me peak as I can usually recover fairly quickly. This was a great experiment as I learned not to do it again. Coffee and clif bar for breakfast then my buddy Wade, who was doing the full, and got to transition early to set up.
Event warmup:

None,
Swim
  • 41m 7s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 57s / 100 yards
Comments:

I ended up in the first wave since I qualified in the Long Course Nat'l Championship. A first for me so had a little anxiety. Probably took it too easy on the swim as I was 6 minutes slower then my swim at Galveston in April. was swimming over almost every small marker ball between the bouys. Had to avoid several errant swimmers but no more then usual. Got one punch in the goggles from one of those throw your hands around swimmers. Got out of the water seeing 40 minutes on the watch and knew I had some catching up to do on the bike.
What would you do differently?:

I am so frustrated with my swimming. The improvements in the pool are not transferring to the OWS. I thought for sure my time would be better then the 35:00 I had at Galveston. Just need to keep working on it over the winter.
Transition 1
  • 02m 43s
Comments:

Was a long run to T1 since the lake was so low so took advantage and ran pretty fast to transition but then dicked around getting my helmet and glasses on. Think someone had knocked my helmet off and put it back because the straps were messed up. Run out of T1 and on bike was good.

Not going to worry about it at this distance.
Bike
  • 2h 36m 47s
  • 56 miles
  • 21.43 mile/hr
Comments:

My expectations were much higher for this after riding at 23.7mph at River Cities a month earlier. I expected a min of 22 mph. The plan was to ride the first 20 miles at 140 bpm HR then push to 145 the rest of the way. I simply had no muscular endurance to get my HR up after the first half. Very similar to Playtri Festival when I had raced CapTexas the week before. To add to the misery I had a pulled core muscle in my side from mountain biking the wednesday before. This made the aero position uncomfortable but not bad enough to inhibit perfromance. I saw my goal of sub 5:00 fading as my ave speed continued to decrease and was calculating what pace my run needed to be to get there before I hit T2.

Don't race the week before, period.
Transition 2
  • 02m 8s
Comments:

after getting blisters going sockless on a few trial runs in the new shoes I decided to wear socks. This added some time as did moving the guys bike and wetsuit across the rack from me so I could get my bike racked.

nothing,glad I went with the socks.
Run
  • 1h 47m 27s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 12s  min/mile
Comments:

I calculated I needed better then 1:38 to get under 5:00. I do this fairly easily in the heat as standalone so I thought it would be achievable. Felt great for the first 4 as I averaged 7:15 for those but then the wheels came flying off. Not sure if it was just the heat, the lack of hydration, or tired legs from the half marathon the week before. found myself walking thru the aid stations in the last half of the race. Saw one more guy in my age group with about 1/2 mile to go so i was able to muster enough to pick my pace up to 8:41 for the last mile and put him behind me.

No racing the week before, better hydration on the bike.
Post race
Warm down:

really wanted an ice bath but they had none so ate and drank a little then went back to car to get my chair and cooler of beer to watch my other friends come in.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Poor decision trying to put tough workouts in close to race. Poor hydration on the bike may have screwed me on the run.

Event comments:

Very well run race. Pavement absolutely sucked. Walk from parking was very long. Volunteers were fantastic. Although I was really disappointed in not getting under 5:00 I was surprised to see I had finished 4th in AG. Some consolation.

Last updated: 2012-05-18 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:41:07 | 2112 yards | 01m 57s / 100yards
Age Group: 13/40
Overall: 209/589
Performance: Below average
200M splits from Garmin were anywhere from 4:18 to 3:45. Garmin also showed course a tad long but that could just be GPS accuracy.
Suit: sleeveless wetsuit
Course: counter clockwise triangle
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:43
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
02:36:47 | 56 miles | 21.43 mile/hr
Age Group: 6/40
Overall: 97/589
5 mile splits, 23.7 ave mph (142ave bpm) 23.0 (142) 20.7 (142) 21.9 (140) 21.1 (140) 22.6 (138) 20.5 (138) 20.9 (134) 21.8 (135) 19.3 (136) 21.2 (137)
Wind: Some
Course: basically and out and back north then west then back east and south.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 02:08
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:47:27 | 13.1 miles | 08m 12s  min/mile
Age Group: 6/40
Overall: 78/589
Performance: Bad
Mile 1-4 were at 7:15 pace (149 ave HR), 5 at 7:38, 6 at 7:50, 8-9 about 8:30, 10-13 over 9:00.
Course: two loops on out and back along lake. pancake flat.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes