General Discussion Race Reports! » Family Fitness Weekend PowerAde Sprint Duathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Family Fitness Weekend PowerAde Sprint Duathlon - DuathlonStandard

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Sarasota, Florida
United States
Family Fitness Weekend
83F / 28C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 20m 13s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 3/4
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 4:15. Ate a MET-Rx Peanut Butter Cookie Dough bar, got changed and took a poop. Packed the car and headed out just before 5:00. It is about an hour drive down to Sarasota. Had to stop for gas on the way. Got to transtition about 6:00. Got numbered, squeezed my bike on a rack. They were racking by age, which I think is weird. When over to the bathrooms and there was a line at the mens room. The tri pre-race routine, every one poops. Did that and headed over to get my chip. The race started at 7:14, a little later then expected.
Event warmup:

No warm-up needed.
Run
  • 16m 59s
  • 2.2 miles
  • 07m 43s  min/mile
Comments:

It was a pretty easy run. They took us by 2 really nasty smelling dumpsters. Water station at the turn around, but didn't feel I needed anything yet. There were a lot of ramdon people out running, which I think they shouldn't have been aloud to run in the same area that we were, they could have run on the opposite side of the street.
What would you do differently?:

Probably could have run harder/faster.
Transition 1
  • 01m 27s
Comments:

I was 4 racks in from the first run, so it was easy to find my bike. Off with the shoes, slipped into the bike shoes pretty easily. I did put my gloves on because my hands were feeling really sweaty. Helmet on and straped. Run out of transition was easy with bike shoes on already.

Work on getting on bike faster out of transition.
Bike
  • 42m 9s
  • 14.2 miles
  • 20.21 mile/hr
Comments:

I felt really good out on the bike. Got on and as I was getting started I saw my friend Brian and said nice transition, then I was off. First part of the race was going through the shopping district so had some cornering, which i felt very comfortable with. Was pushing pretty good so out with a tailwind. Average about 20.5-21. Turned around and right into a headwind. Wasn't real bad, still able to average 18-19mph. Once I got over the bridge the wind died and pushed it to over a 20mph. Got to a low gear coming in and spun the legs a little bit.

Was pissed during the race because there were younger kids out there, about 14, who were drafting. Not that they should be giving out penalties, but at least yelling at him to back off.

More training will help. Think I'm getting some aero's soon. Just got tired of being down on the road bike and had to come up sometimes.
Transition 2
  • 01m 52s
Comments:

Came in and the legs were a little jello. Coming the other way, didn't know how many racks and I ended up passing my rack, by only one. Bike shoes off good, running shoes on got stuck a bit.

Practice.
Run
  • 17m 47s
  • 2.2 miles
  • 08m 05s  min/mile
Comments:

Took about the first 5 mins to get the legs going normally again. I ended up passing a lot of people. I know I can be strong at the end if I play the cards right, so I always try to save a little.

Push harder/faster.
Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed my camera to catch my friend coming in. Found a girl I knew from UF. She is on our swim team, so talked to her for a little bit. She won the female U23 group.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not much.

Event comments:

The volunteers were fantastic, they had plenty of people out on both the run and bike courses.

My issues with this race are, first I checked the finishers list that they posted, said I finished 1st in my age group. Then when they are handing out the awards, I end up 3rd. How does that happen. If the people finished before me they should have had there times before me. Don't post if the results are not accurate.
Second, they didn't have anything to do post-race for 2.5hrs until the awards ceromony.

Last updated: 2006-06-13 12:00 AM
Running
00:16:59 | 02.2 miles | 07m 43s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/4
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Course: Out and back on a dead end road. Really flat and easy.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
T1
Time: 01:27
Overall: Good
Run with bike? Good
Jump on bike? Below average
Getting up to speed and into shoes: Good
Biking
00:42:09 | 14.2 miles | 20.21 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind: Some
Course: Out and back the opposite direction of the run. Over one small bridge.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:52
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:17:47 | 02.2 miles | 08m 05s  min/mile
Performance: Good
Course: Same out and back as first run.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-06-17 9:40 PM

User image

Elite
Hattiesburg, Mississippi
Subject: Family Fitness Weekend PowerAde Sprint Duathlon

2006-06-18 6:05 PM
in reply to: #457631

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Family Fitness Weekend PowerAde Sprint Duathlon
Sounds like you had a pretty good race! Sorry to hear about your place change. My daughter has had that happen to her a couple of times. Both times the participants that came in ahead of her were erroneously placed in the wrong division in the computer. It's a bummer; one time we went an hour home and came an hour back just four hours later only to find she didn't finish 2nd like she thought, but 4th, so no award. Oh well...

As far as the younger kids drafting, did you know that there was a Junior/Under 23 Draft legal race going on also? You mentioned the girl from UF who won, I assume it was Ashley Carusone. She raced in the draft legal race. I think they were going to start 15 minutes prior to the start of the regular race. My daughter had planned on doing this race, but she is swimming at UF for the month of June and was not feeling up to racing.
2006-06-18 7:09 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

Great race!!! hoe you had a good fun time too!!! I can't imagine being able to run that fast

2006-06-18 7:51 PM
in reply to: #458076

Champion
South Jersey
Great race. You're fast . Sorry to hear about the place change - that's really a bummer. But, third is still great!!!
2006-06-18 9:16 PM

User image

Master
Plant City, FL
Race bling, is race bling!!  You had a great race, and you got something to show off for it!!    Great race Jeff!!
2006-06-19 11:22 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nashville TN

great race jeff.

uh where was the swim??? just kidding!!

uh and thanks. glad to know you pooped not once but twice. I feel so much better now.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Family Fitness Weekend PowerAde Sprint Duathlon Rss Feed