General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Shin pain from running resolved by cycling Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-09-25 4:05 PM

Subject: Shin pain from running resolved by cycling

Hey BT'ers,

I was curious if anyone out there could explain what I have observed in my training recently.  I've never actually done a triathalon before, so I am training for my first one and giving myself an abundance of time to do it.

I've been in the gym for about 2 months and just took my running outside for the first time 3 weeks ago.  I've been running about 3.5 miles every Saturday.  I find I get a rather horrible pain in my shin after those outdoor runs which lasts for several days.  If I press on the bone/shin the pain gets much worse, so it doesn't feel muscular.  However, I have noticed that bike rides alleviate the pain during the ride and for a few hours thereafter, but the pain generally comes back at about the same intensity as it was prior.

I'm waiting to see my doctor, so I've cut out running until I do, but should I cut out biking as well? If it alleviates the pain, it can't be doing causing more damage, right?

Anybody ever experience something similar?

Anybody knowledge about physiology able to explain what's going on?

Any help would be appreciated.

2012-09-25 7:41 PM
in reply to: #4427300

User image

Veteran
Broomall, PA
Subject: RE: Shin pain from running resolved by cycling
Where exactly does it hurt. Sounds like shin splints to me. What's the current condition of ur shoes? Do you over pronate?
2012-09-28 6:59 AM

Shoes are in good shape. 3 months old. Had the same pair prior to these.

Pain is on the interior side of leg. (same side as instep on my foot)

I have no idea if i overpronate or not. How does one tell definitively?

2012-10-10 8:09 AM

Guyute - 2012-09-25 5:05 PM

Hey BT'ers,

I was curious if anyone out there could explain what I have observed in my training recently.  I've never actually done a triathalon before, so I am training for my first one and giving myself an abundance of time to do it.

I've been in the gym for about 2 months and just took my running outside for the first time 3 weeks ago.  I've been running about 3.5 miles every Saturday.  I find I get a rather horrible pain in my shin after those outdoor runs which lasts for several days.  If I press on the bone/shin the pain gets much worse, so it doesn't feel muscular.  However, I have noticed that bike rides alleviate the pain during the ride and for a few hours thereafter, but the pain generally comes back at about the same intensity as it was prior.

I'm waiting to see my doctor, so I've cut out running until I do, but should I cut out biking as well? If it alleviates the pain, it can't be doing causing more damage, right?

Anybody ever experience something similar?

Anybody knowledge about physiology able to explain what's going on?

Any help would be appreciated.

I have exactly same thing! I know that my shins start to hurt when i run with "cold muscules". That is when  muscules start to rip the top layer of a bone that causes shin splints. I found the answer in biking as you said. Everytime i go for the run i do 10-15 minutes of biking as a warm up and run with no pain after. Plus it is also beneficial in terms of transition from bike to run.

In my case i implemented a biking "warm up" and dicreased a milaege till i got my proof that it works.

I hope it will work for u too!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Shin pain from running resolved by cycling Rss Feed