General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike shipping for NYC Tri Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-06-18 12:02 AM

User image

Master
New York
Subject: Bike shipping for NYC Tri
I was wondering how much time to allow for my LBS to dis-assemble & mail my bike up to SBR Multisports before the NYC Tri (July 16th). I am getting into Manhattan on Friday the 14th, and will be able to pick it up Saturday a.m. Is this a process that takes several weeks? Several days? I'm assuming that it will be more time consuming than standard US Post Office service.

2006-06-18 4:24 PM
in reply to: #457677

User image

Elite
Subject: RE: Bike shipping for NYC Tri

We shipped our bikes 10 days in advance last year for NYC tri.  We used EGL (Eagle Transport), which trucked our bikes to the local airport, flew them to NYC, then trucked them to the hotel.  Total cost around $90 per bike round trip.

2006-06-18 4:29 PM

User image

Master
New York
That sounds great, except that I have never heard of EGL...are they an independent shipping company like UPS or DHL? Do they only service certain areas of the country (I'm in TN)? I will definitely look into that if it's widely available.
2006-06-18 5:59 PM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
I will never let anyone else touch my bike again after last week. I dropped it off at a reputable bike shop in San Fran WITH my $300 plastic shipping case, and guess what? They dropped it in a cardboard box, poorly padded, and it arrived with serious (but mostly cosmetic) damage to the bike frame. My fancy expensive, well padded box is still sitting out in California. Luckily, the bike is ridable, no damage occured to the components, but it easily could have.

I know that not everyone has had this experience, but this was my first and last time letting a shop pack and ship my bike. If they only knew teh amount of mental energy, searchign for the right box, ordering it (paying for it), and learning how to pack the bike on my own...only to have them drop in a single walled cardboard box with a single loose wrap of bubble wrap and scotch tape holding things together. Believe me, no one cares about your equiptment as much as you do.

I may ship my bike in the future, but I am never letting anyone else disassemble or pack the bike. All you need is an allen wrench and a pedal wrench. if you are the least bit mechanically inclined it is a piece of cake.

Flying with it is the same cost, and frequently you can get away without paying the typical $80 charge for flying with a bike case.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike shipping for NYC Tri Rss Feed