Brewers Enterprises
42F / 6C
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 58m 16s
Overall Rank = 1425/4272
Age Group = F 40-44
Age Group Rank = 505/284
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 5am. Had to make Drew's lunch since he was going to Great America with Steve and Terri. Ate 2 waffles with PB and a yogurt. Good bathroom. Left the house around 5:45. Raining out, storm following me to the stadium. Lightening and thunder, strong winds, was thinking about bagging it. Took almost an hour to get into the parking lot.
Event warmup:

Sat in the car until a few minutes to 7 then decided to at least go up to the start to see if they were going to delay or cancel the race. They opened up the stadium to get people in out of the rain, so I used the indoor restroom. Little bit of stretching, then around 7:15 they told us to head outside as the storm had passed. A little drizzle remained, but still pretty windy and cold. Had on my black underarmor and MOO finisher T over that. Started with my blue windbreaker with the hood up over my visor then as I warmed up around mile 3 I took that off and tied it around my waist.
Run
  • 1h 58m 16s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 02s  min/mile
Comments:

Pretty nice route, although we did go through some iffy neighborhoods. Safety in numbers! The initial drizzle did stop which helped, but the wind was wicked and made the 40-degree temps seem very cold! I kept my black sweatpants on over my shorts--glad I did. Was actually fairly comfortable. Took a shotblox at mile 3, had a Blueberry Roctane at mile 6 (seemed to do ok with it), and a second shotblox at mile 9, which I sucked on till the finish. Took a sip or two of water at every other water stop. Becca caught me around mile 4, and we ran together till mile 11 where I slowed down on a hill and she took off. Legs stiffened up pretty good those last few miles, gluteus too. Still not totally recovered from MOO. Cardio felt great--could have gone forever--legs were the limiting factor.
What would you do differently?:

I guess not do an Ironman 2 weeks before!? Actually, just go faster. I just don't know how to pace these short races so I seem to always have a lot left at the end.
Post race
Warm down:

Ha! Nothing warm about this race. I ran to my car to get another sweatshirt and my gray windbreaker for Becca. We had 1 beer and chatted for a bit, but it was so cold we left before her other friends finished. Not may people hung out, was actually hard to find people to give our remaining beer tickets to!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I have a hard time pacing these shorter races. Ironman 2 weeks ago left my legs stiff--I definitely had a lot left in the cardio tank, but legs didn't want to do much more today.

Event comments:

Unfortunately the weather was the bummer for this race. The rain made it hard to get cars into the parking lot, and they had to delay the race start to be sure the lightening had passed. There were more than enough water stops for as cold as it was. I would definitely do this one again.

Last updated: 2012-09-04 12:00 AM
Running
01:58:16 | 13.1 miles | 09m 02s  min/mile
Age Group: 55/284
Overall: 1425/4272
Performance: Good
Course: Fairly flat course through the Menomonee valley and past some historical Milwaukee landmarks like the Potowatomi Bingo, Harley museum, Saz's, Miller Brewery, and of Course the stadium.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes