General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Cannondale Slice Seat Angle Adjustment Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-09-27 9:32 AM

Regular
Austin, TX
Subject: Cannondale Slice Seat Angle Adjustment

Does anyone know how to, or can you direct me to a resource that will show me how to, adjust my saddle angle nose down a bit?  I'm on my 3rd saddle on this bike in the past year and a half, and I think the current position is just too nose-high.  It's smashing on my soft lady-bits, and not allowing for any of my actual bone structure to come in supportive contact with the saddle when I'm in aero.  I have saddle sores on both of inner thighs toward the front.  I'm hoping that by angling the nose down slightly, it will better distribute my weight on the saddle a bit more rear-ward and relive some of the pressure I'm getting on the soft tissues.

I unscrewed the side bolts last night, but all I could do is move the saddle forward or backward, I was not able to adjust the nose angle at all.  Bike shop has always done the swapping/adjustments, but I just don't want to keep going into my LBS for these adjustments.  Would really like to learn how to just do it on my own.

Thanks!

2012-09-27 10:17 AM
in reply to: #4429937

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington
Subject: RE: Cannondale Slice Seat Angle Adjustment
I pulled up the C'dale site to take a look at the seatpost arrangement... Looks like it should just rotate once those two side bolts are loosened. If it doesn't, maybe loosen just a little bit more and/or give that lower half-cylinder a tap from below -- maybe it's binding onto the seatmast somehow.
2012-09-27 12:22 PM

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
If you're on your 3 saddle and you keep having the same issue, I bet it's not a saddle issue, but a bike fit issue... If you had a bike fit already, go back to the fitter and discuss your problem. It should be very solvable. If you haven't had a bike fit already, it will fix this problem and probably make you both faster, more efficient and more comfortable in general...
2012-09-27 1:05 PM

Regular
Austin, TX

Thanks for the suggestions!  Maybe I just need to take the entire saddle off the bike to get it re-adjusted where I want it to be?  It has some weird housing over the clamps that attach to the saddle rails.  Maybe I need to get that off, just don't see how it comes off.  I'll tinker with it again tonight.  Just thought there would be more people with the same bike on here that have encountered the same adjustment issue.  The owner's manual is quite unhelpful.

Yes, I have been fit with this most recent saddle, though not a Retul, which I would like to get.  Wasn't fit with the others.  My issues are all soft tissue though, nothing with back, shoulder, neck, knee pain, etc....so I feel comfortable with the overall fit.  Also, on a regular basis I feel quite comfortable on the bike for 50, 60, 70+ miles...the only thing that hurts is my girly soft tissue.  I also use chamois cream, and have been through a bunch of shorts.  Most of my saddle sore issues have been resolved, but the pressure on my soft tissue areas has not...thus the many saddles trying to find one that will keep my weight on the bony structures of my pelvis and not the soft tissue.  :-/  I really think this current saddle will work if I can just nose it down a hair.  If I have to take it to the bike shop I will, just feel silly taking it there for a very minor saddle adjustment.  I do everything on my road bike, but it seems that everything is more complicated with a tri bike!!  LOL!! 

2012-09-27 2:16 PM
in reply to: #4430512

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington

Mrs Bru - 2012-09-27 11:05 AM If I have to take it to the bike shop I will, just feel silly taking it there for a very minor saddle adjustment.

Don't worry about feeling silly. As a part-time bike mechanic, I could entertain you for quite a while with the stories... You'd be amazed at the simplest of adjustments that people bring in to the shop. I always try to educate the bike owner on how they can make those adjustments on their own.

2012-09-27 2:31 PM
in reply to: #4430685

Regular
Austin, TX
briderdt - 2012-09-27 2:16 PM

Mrs Bru - 2012-09-27 11:05 AM If I have to take it to the bike shop I will, just feel silly taking it there for a very minor saddle adjustment.

Don't worry about feeling silly. As a part-time bike mechanic, I could entertain you for quite a while with the stories... You'd be amazed at the simplest of adjustments that people bring in to the shop. I always try to educate the bike owner on how they can make those adjustments on their own.

LOL!!  EXACTLY!!  I don't want to be in one of those stories!  I do try to ask them to show me things when I have my bike in, and I've learned a lot from them.  In all fairness, between my husband and I we've dropped a fair amount of money on bikes there in the past year, so I guess I shouldn't feel too bad!  They never make us feel stupid or that we are wasting their time, it's just me.  Love our LBS!!!

2012-09-27 6:22 PM

Once you unscrew the 2 screws under the seat, it helps to squeeze the 2 pieces of that clamp the rails of the seat sit in together while trying to adjust the angle.  It can be a pain as the setup does like to bind.
2012-09-28 10:39 AM
in reply to: #4431140

Regular
Austin, TX
Thanks!  I actually just took the whole dang thing off last night, and was then able to move it into the position I wanted.  Now...trying to get it tightened again while maintaining that position was a total pain.  Gonna try it out on 20 miles Sun and see how it feel.  Did a very short 10 last night and seems to feel a lot better.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Cannondale Slice Seat Angle Adjustment Rss Feed