General Discussion Triathlon Talk » dentures & triathlons Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-09-27 3:25 PM

User image

Subject: dentures & triathlons
Hello all;

I just got a set of upper dentures (long story). My triathlon season has finished for this year, but I am already looking towards next year.

My question is this this...are there any triathletes out there that wear dentures? If so, do you wear them while swimming, or put them on it T1? Thanks!!

2012-09-27 3:55 PM
in reply to: #4430889

User image

Elite
Cleveland
Subject: RE: dentures & triathlons
Didn't ever really want to admit that I have them, but I do... and I have always worn them on the swim.
I have had those little thoughts of just how much it'd suck to lose one during an OWS, but it hasn't even come close to happening.

That said, mine are partials, not full.... I don't know what to tell you if you have fulls.
2012-09-27 5:23 PM

User image

Wetaskiwin Canada
I have dentures top and bottom and never have had a problem with them, i have even gone scuba diving with them. if you have the feeling that they are a bit loose go to the dentist and get them refit something you should do on average every 2 years anyway.Laughing
2012-09-27 7:01 PM

User image

I don't wear dentures, but I am a dentist. Drago is right. Dentures do need to be relined (refit) every few years. The reason for this is when the teeth are gone, the bone "melts" away. Most of this happens during the first six months to one year, but it continues the rest of your life. By far the best option for you would be dental implants. There are two main. Benefits to this. First, the denture snaps into place over the implants. You won't have to worry about it coming out during a race (especially the swim). The second benefit is when implants are placed the bone is stimulated just like when teeth are present, so the bone loss stops. This may cut into you triathlon budget, but will pay off many times over the rest of your life.
2012-09-27 11:39 PM
in reply to: #4431190

User image

Elite
Cleveland
2thhacker - 2012-09-27 8:01 PM

I don't wear dentures, but I am a dentist. Drago is right. Dentures do need to be relined (refit) every few years. The reason for this is when the teeth are gone, the bone "melts" away. Most of this happens during the first six months to one year, but it continues the rest of your life. By far the best option for you would be dental implants. There are two main. Benefits to this. First, the denture snaps into place over the implants. You won't have to worry about it coming out during a race (especially the swim). The second benefit is when implants are placed the bone is stimulated just like when teeth are present, so the bone loss stops. This may cut into you triathlon budget, but will pay off many times over the rest of your life.

**if you're a viable candidate to receive them
2012-09-28 8:18 AM
in reply to: #4431097

User image

Drago - 2012-09-27 5:23 PM

I have dentures top and bottom and never have had a problem with them, i have even gone scuba diving with them. if you have the feeling that they are a bit loose go to the dentist and get them refit something you should do on average every 2 years anyway.Laughing

I already have a visit scheduled for a re-line in like 4 months I think it is. Do you use a denture adhesive for your tops to help there be more secure while swimming (that is my biggest concern). Do you do open water swims with them as well?

2013-06-03 12:39 PM
in reply to: 2thhacker

User image

at $2,500 an implant.....sorry, I just don't have that kind of money
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » dentures & triathlons Rss Feed