General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How to use flaxseed on foods? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-09-28 8:57 AM

User image

Regular
Subject: How to use flaxseed on foods?

So, I just found out that my cholesterol is a bit high and my triglycerides are very high.  BMI, BP, Blood sugar, resting HR, etc was all fine.  The practitioner told me I should start exercising.  I told her I already do at least 8-10 hrs/week of cardio.  I have regularly exercised my whole life.  Both my parents have the same problem.  My mom has Metabolic Syndrome and is very overweight and is a type2 diabetic.  My dad is normal weight and normal BP, but has high cholesterol and Triglylcerides.  They both opted for medicine.  I really don't wish to take medicine.  So I am trying to reduce my blood lipids with diet and the exercise I already do.  My plan is to cut red meat, simple carbs, and full fat dairy.  I am adding a fish oil supplement and I was told to add flaxseed.  I am just not sure how to use it.  I already had a diet full of nuts/seeds and good fats like avacodo.  Give me some pointers on this flaxseed use please.  Thank-you in advance!

jami 

2012-09-28 9:04 AM
in reply to: #4431698

User image

Newmarket, NH
Subject: RE: How to use flaxseed on foods?
I use ground flaxseed in a recipe for muffins that I often eat for breakfast, and I also mix it in with oatmeal and smoothies.  Make sure you either buy the ground flaxseed or, if you buy the whole seeds, grind them before you use them.  Unlike chia seeds, you can't really digest them well if they're whole.
2012-09-28 9:19 AM

User image

Veteran
Hopkinton MA

I've been in a similar situation, re: lab work. It's frustrating to get those results when you're already training a lot and are in apparently good condition.  May I suggest, before you totally give up on red meat and dairy, read "Wheat Belly" and/or "Why We Get Fat," which explain metabolic syndrome, high triglycerides, etc.  Carbohydrates are the biggest culprits.  Quitting flour and sugar, and reducing or eliminating alcohol, are great starts.

http://www.amazon.com/Wheat-Belly-Lose-Weight-Health/dp/1609611543/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1348841442&sr=8-1&keywords=wheat+belly+by+william+davis

http://www.amazon.com/Why-We-Get-Fat-About/dp/0307474259/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1348841471&sr=8-1&keywords=gary+taubes+why+we+get+fat+and+what+to+do+about+it

We add flax seed to yogurt and salads.

Best of luck,

-Erin

2012-09-28 9:45 AM

User image

Veteran
Texas
You can pretty much put the flax seed on anything you eat!  I've sprinkled on salads, mixed it in pancake mix, smoothies - just whatever!
2012-09-28 10:09 AM

User image

Elite
Ontario, Canada
This morning I tried adding ground flaxseed in my yogurt blend (3/4 cup plain greek yogurt, 3/4 cup frozen berries, 1tbsp honey) and it was alright. It really thickened the mix, so tomorrow I am going to try 1tbsp instead of 2tbsp.
2012-09-28 10:12 AM

User image

Elite
Ontario, Canada

Also, it's best to buy whole seeds and grind them when you're ready to use them. I have a clean coffee grinder that I use as a grain/seed/nut grinder. I've tried a mortar and pestle... be ready for an upper body workout and set aside 20 minutes if you want it finely ground.

2012-09-28 10:38 AM

User image

Regular

I bought the individual packets of milled flaxseed.  I just added a packet to some chicken salad made with Fage 0% yogurt, grape tomatoes, honey crisp apple, dill pickle and walnuts.  It wasn't bad.  And I ate it right out of the bowl-no bread needed.  Had the rest of the apple and a yellow bell pepper on the side.  Now I wish I had remembered the almond butter in the fridge for the apple.  A mix of sparkling water and a splash of cranberry juice for the beverage.  Maybe I can do this healthy eating thing afterall.

jami

2012-09-28 7:42 PM

User image

Elite
Ontario, Canada
2012-09-28 9:31 PM

User image

Expert
Maui, Hawaii

I don't know if this is more cholesterol information than you might want to know, but Chris Kresser has taken a great deal of information and distilled it down into a program he offers and you can use it to interact with your doctor as well.  I haven't subscribed to his program, but his blog and podcasts are insightful and full of information.  You might want to check it out especially if you'd rather take the natural path instead of taking the statins.

Good luck!

P.S.  If you buy ground flaxseed, buy it in small quantities and keep it in the fridge in an airtight container to keep it fresh.  I like 1-2 tablespoons in my smoothies.  It's also good sprinkled on salad or steamed veggies.

2012-09-28 10:22 PM

User image

Pro
jdotten - 2012-09-28 8:57 AM

So, I just found out that my cholesterol is a bit high and my triglycerides are very high.  BMI, BP, Blood sugar, resting HR, etc was all fine.  The practitioner told me I should start exercising.  I told her I already do at least 8-10 hrs/week of cardio.  I have regularly exercised my whole life.  Both my parents have the same problem.  My mom has Metabolic Syndrome and is very overweight and is a type2 diabetic.  My dad is normal weight and normal BP, but has high cholesterol and Triglylcerides.  They both opted for medicine.  I really don't wish to take medicine.  So I am trying to reduce my blood lipids with diet and the exercise I already do.  My plan is to cut red meat, simple carbs, and full fat dairy.  I am adding a fish oil supplement and I was told to add flaxseed.  I am just not sure how to use it.  I already had a diet full of nuts/seeds and good fats like avacodo.  Give me some pointers on this flaxseed use please.  Thank-you in advance!

jami 

Just out of curiousity , what does your diet look like?  I'm asking because I get a full blood workup every year and years ago, during a break in regular exercise, I developed some high triglycerides. I started hitting the workouts good again and it went down almost immediately with no diet change.  I can't imagine working out 8-10 hours per week and having high triglycerides.  

2012-09-29 4:49 AM

User image

Expert
Tallahassee

I work out a LOT too and my Cholesterol is high.  My diet is almost flawless, no processed foods, etc.  I have gotten mine to come down w/o meds.  What I did was start taking Niacin NO FLUSH, this dropped it 28 points in 6 weeks.  I get mine at a vitamin shop for like $7.  I also eat a lot of quinoa, raw, mix it in your food, I eat tofu for breakfast mixed w/ honey, oatmeal, milk and protein powder and it makes like a pudding.

Again, cut out fried food, when you eat red meat, cut off the fat, eat all your food in its most natural state.  I eat no pasta but get carbs from sweet potatoes, peas, brown rice etc etc.

Good luck and let us know how it is going.

2012-09-29 2:48 PM
in reply to: #4432998

User image

Regular
Left Brain - 2012-09-28 10:22 PM
jdotten - 2012-09-28 8:57 AM

jami 

Just out of curiousity , what does your diet look like?  I'm asking because I get a full blood workup every year and years ago, during a break in regular exercise, I developed some high triglycerides. I started hitting the workouts good again and it went down almost immediately with no diet change.  I can't imagine working out 8-10 hours per week and having high triglycerides.  

Actually my diet is pretty good.  Maybe a little heavy on the filet mignon and I do like a little chocolate now and again.  I already eat plenty of nuts/seeds/olive oil/avacodo.  However I did find out that my mom's Triglycerides were over 600 and my dads were over 500.  My mom is terribly unhealthy eating lots of refined carbs.  My dad, however has always been active and really watches his diet.  So it's gotta be genetics. 

2012-09-29 3:21 PM

User image

Regular

I looked back at my logs and last week I only hit 7 hours.  Some weeks have more training in them.  It depends on schedules and such.  I have been injured the better part of a year.  I developed PF June 2011.  By October 2011 I had to see a doc.  I tried to run through it, but couldn't and ended up taking some time off.  When I came back to running I followed the C25k plan so as not to do "too much too soon" and ended up with a calcaneal stress fracture.  So while I have tried to keep up with 3 bikes, 3 swims over the summer I only came back to walking in Aug.  I am now walk/running, but taking it incredibly slow.  So my training has been off a little.  And if stress has anything to do with cholesterol and triglycerides then that totally explains the numbers.  Giving up the running threw me into a pretty serious depression.  So I guess a lot of factors are at play.  But I was shocked.  My weight is normal, BP is low, Blood sugar was 79, resting HR was 51.  And I have been running and or cycling/swimming on a very regular basis since 2003.

jami    

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How to use flaxseed on foods? Rss Feed