General Discussion Race Reports! » 3 Disciplines Triathlon Festival - Olympic Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

3 Disciplines Triathlon Festival - Olympic Triathlon - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
East Tawas, Michigan
United States
3 Disciplines Racing
65F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 19m 31s
Overall Rank = 2/93
Age Group = M 30-34
Age Group Rank = 1/6
Pre-race routine:

This race was 2 weeks following a HIM that I completely failed. This was just supposed to be a nice race to end the season.

We got to Tawas on Thursday and got setup in our cottage on Lake Huron which we have rented the last couple years for this event (minus last year). The place is awesome and view is even better.

Friday I got checked in very quickly and that went well. We grilled up some chicken on the grill and had a pretty low key night.
Event warmup:

Got to the race site about 7:00 and had to setup fairly quickly before transition closed. The HIM athletes were going off first and then the Olympic wave so had some time. I got my wetsuit on before leaving the TA but also left a jacket on as it was fairly cold still. I took a GU about 20 minutes before start time. I also got in about 10 minutes of EZ swimming which was nice.
Swim
  • 28m 32s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 44s / 100 yards
Comments:

This was a beach start. It was basically a 100 meter run to the first buoy and then a right turn for the rectangular course. After running to the buoy you can dive in and swim easily. I was near the front of the group and stayed to the left right on the buoy line. The buoy line was pretty empty and I had clear water the whole way. I kept the effort pretty steady all the way around and felt pretty good. When I was sighting I did not see many folks in front of me so knew I was near the front.

The course did seem to be a bit long with the fastest time at 24:30 which is pretty slow. I am usually a 25:00 Olympic swimmer. As I exited the water I ran up the beach to the concrete landing and stripped the wetsuit prior to the long to the Transition area.
What would you do differently?:

This was a good swim and happy with the steady effort here.
Transition 1
  • 03m 9s
Comments:

It took about 15 seconds longer than it should have to get my helmet buckled..always seem to have trouble with that. Otherwise, I was right at the bike out and was out fairly quick.

Long transition time due to the long run from beach and really long TA.

Get my helmet buckled faster.
Bike
  • 1h 05m 34s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 22.74 mile/hr
Comments:

The best bike split of the day. I was a little worried about how I would feel coming off the HIM 2 weeks ago but I felt great. My effort was good and pace was there.

The out portion was in to a 10-15mph headwind and it is a gradual climb. I was staying tucked and still flying pretty good. As we reached the turnaround there was nobody in site yet on the way back. Finally, the 1st place female (started 10 minutes ahead) came by and then the 1st place male. I had moved my way up and was 2nd at the turnaround and he was up the road aways. He put 4 minutes into me on the swim and I only got 2 minutes back on the bike.

The section back to town was FAST. We had a tailwind the whole way back and the gradual descent back to town. I was absolutely hauling. Once we got near TA I was ready to chase down the top spot.

Great bike course - one of my favorites.

Nothing - good effort.
Transition 2
  • 00m 37s
Comments:

Good fast transition. I got my shoes on and took off with my race belt and visor in hand.

Nothing.
Run
  • 41m 41s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 06m 43s  min/mile
Comments:

I came out of transition feeling very good and settled into a good quick pace. The sprint athletes were on the course and was nice to have some company. As I came up on the second aid station (past the sprint turnaround) the volunteers had to run back to it because they were not ready. This made me think that I may have passed the 1st place guy in transition. That was not the case but I hoped so. I took one cup of water at the first aid station and that was it. The weather was nice and cool and I got all the fuel I needed on the bike.

Finally near the turnaround I saw the 1st place male coming back. He still had a substantial lead on me and was likely not going to catch him. I kept the pedal down though. The 3rd place guy was well behind me and knew he was not going to catch me.

I cruised into the finish line keeping a fairly consistent pace throughout the run and was ecstatic with the 2nd place OA to end the season.

Nothing. The 1st place guy ended up winning by 2 minutes. I put another 15 seconds into him on the run but too much to make up from the swim.
Post race
Warm down:

Just chatted with the 1st place guy and got some drinks. I found Rachael and Keelyn and they congratulated me. I really like having them on the course cheering me on. Keelyn yells 'dada' when she sees me come by.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

time in the pool - the bike and run were about what I would have expected..maybe a little faster run.

Event comments:

I love the Tawas area and the venue for this race. The swim and bike course are one of the best in MI. We will keep coming back.

The OA award was sunglasses or gear of my choosing from Rudy Project woot!

Last updated: 2012-07-30 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:28:32 | 1640 yards | 01m 44s / 100yards
Age Group: 1/6
Overall: 8/93
Performance: Average
Suit: Blue Seventy Helix Sleeveless
Course: Rectangular out and back in Lake Huron. Beautiful clear water.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:09
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:05:34 | 24.85 miles | 22.74 mile/hr
Overall: 1/93
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: Excellent Out and back course on Monument Road through the Huron National Forest. Rolling course on nice roadways.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:37
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:41:41 | 06.21 miles | 06m 43s  min/mile
Overall: 3/93
Performance: Good
Course: Flat out and back course.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2012-09-28 9:55 AM

User image

Expert
Norton Shores, MI
Subject: 3 Disciplines Triathlon Festival - Olympic Triathlon

2012-09-28 9:38 PM
in reply to: #4431849

User image

Champion
Calgary
Subject: RE: 3 Disciplines Triathlon Festival - Olympic Triathlon
wow, nice job.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » 3 Disciplines Triathlon Festival - Olympic Triathlon Rss Feed