General Discussion Triathlon Talk » laid off 4 days ago, Ironman Florida in 5 weeks Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-09-28 3:17 PM

Subject: laid off 4 days ago, Ironman Florida in 5 weeks

Hey everybody. Well, I was laid off from my job of 5 years on monday. Our whole department was completely blind sided. We came back from lunch with an email from one of the bosses bosses bosses bosses boss for a meeting in an hour. We then got the news that our positions were going to be terminated. Quite a bummer. I still have a couple months until my last day so I have a little time to find a new job. To make matters worse my car broke down today on my way to work. All of this 5 weeks before my Ironman. ugghhh. So if anybody knows of any companies hiring in the Baltimore area in the accounting/financial field I would love to hear about them. Any bit helps. I can send you my resume if you would need it.

-Brent

2012-09-28 3:21 PM
in reply to: #4432530

User image

Elite
Laguna Beach
Subject: RE: laid off 4 days ago, Ironman Florida in 5 weeks

This is bad news. I'm sorry to hear this.

I'm not sure what industry you specialize in but OutdoorIndustryJobs.com is a good resource in the cycling/endurance sports/outdoor industry. Here's the link:

http://www.outdoorindustryjobs.com/

2012-09-28 3:25 PM

User image

Veteran
Somewhere training in Rocklin, CA
Sorry to hear that, happened to me 4 yrs ago after being with the same company for 10 years. Having been through it once I often say to my training partner that I'm only a layoff away from training for my first IM. Training is a great way to escape the stress of it all so keep after it and Stay positive!
2012-09-28 3:26 PM

User image

Master
Falls Church, VA

That sucks. Especially the way it was handled.

Unfortunately I have no advice for you, just want to say i'm pulling for you and good luck.

2012-09-28 3:27 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tucson
Hang in there, stay focused and smile anyways!  Best wishes to you!
2012-09-28 9:05 PM

I don't think this is necessarily "bad", although it really sucks at the moment. I was fired from a job I had for four years back in April, and I still don't have a job (but I did work a bit part time in the summer). At least you have a couple months notice! I would not be doing triathlons if I was still working. I was going to school and working, both full time, for the past four years. So maybe think of this as a blessing in disguise. You now have more time for yourself, and I think time is much more valuable than money. Go back to school, train more, sleep in, live off unemployment for a bit if need be. Cut back on the luxuries, if any, like cable and eating out. Ride your bike to places instead of drive. Sure, you will eat into your savings, but the right thing for you will eventually come your way. Best of luck.

2012-09-28 9:07 PM

User image

Master
Royersford, PA
I feel for you. I got laid off the Friday before Thanksgiving back in 2003, right after getting a decent sized bonus for doing a good job. The fact that I was in the home stretch preparing for my first marathon was actually a blessing because it gave me something positive to focus on and a good way to divert my highly negative feelings into something positive.

While I ended up have to move from Southern California to Philadelphia, I ended up interviewing for and landing a much better and more rewarding job a few days after that marathon and the interviewer later said the way I handled my lay off in a positive manner was one of the things that set me apart.

Good luck to you, but have faith you will come out of this a better person!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » laid off 4 days ago, Ironman Florida in 5 weeks Rss Feed