General Discussion Race Reports! » Margarita Island Half-Iron Triathlon "L" Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Margarita Island Half-Iron Triathlon "L" - Triathlon1/2 Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Margarita Island,
Venezuela
Fundaventura
Total Time = 6h 37m 35s
Overall Rank = 77/92
Age Group = 30-39
Age Group Rank = 3/4
Pre-race routine:

On Saturday, I went to the race site and got the package and did a short brick. Then I went to the pasta dinner and off to bed early. I was very careful with my hydration the whole day.

On Sunday morning, I had a peanut butter and honey sandwich with Gatorade and a salt tablet. I was ready for my FIRST TRIATHLON!

Event warmup:

After putting on anti-chaffing cream and sunblock, I set up my transition area. I went to the bathroom a lot, maybe the nerves or just good hydration. Then I jumped in the water and realized that there were a lot of rocks in the shallow area. This would make entry and exit difficult. The water temperature was OK.
Swim
  • 55m 41s
  • 1900 meters
  • 02m 56s / 100 meters
Comments:

The whole group took off together. My goggles were foggy, so it was initially difficult to see the 4 bouys.

I felt better in the first lap than in the second. I thought I had a good pace but had a hard time reaching the shore. My friend Carlos from the pool helped me, and we drafted from each other. He was nice enough to wait for me in both laps.
What would you do differently?:

I wanted to exit the water in about 50 minutes. So I was sad to find out that I was 5 minutes behind my plan. I forgot to start my stopwatch. Luckily, FĂ©lix was there to tell me my times.

I felt bad, but I knew that there was still a lot of race to go. Later, I realized that with only 6 months of swim training, just completing the course was good.
Transition 1
  • 03m 22s
Comments:

T1 was a little far from the water and we had to run on sand, pavement and through the hotel. I drank half a can of Ensure as I put my shoes and helmet on. The staff was really cool and helpful.

The only little mistake was that I had forgotten my sunglasses, but I just realized after a couple of hours on the bike. I knew I was missing something!

I would be a little more careful. Maybe I would pass on the Ensure and would stick to gels.
Bike
  • 3h 22m 38s
  • 90 kms
  • 26.65 km/hr
Comments:

In the first 11km through the city, I got lost for about 2 minutes because I missed a turn. A little kid shouted to show me the right way. Then I managed to pass my friend Carlos.

Once on the highway, I fell into pace and hit a comfortable cadence that I could hold for the 90k. I also forgot to reset both my stopwatch and bike computer, so I didn't know how I was doing.

I had told Felix before the race that I didn't want to know what position I was in. So I found out I was second after passing a girl in the beginning of the second lap. I had seen her in training before and she was very intimidating then, a really good runner. I began to wonder if I was going too hard.

Towards the end of the third lap, one of the strong cyclists passed me. I had no idea she was behind me after the swim. The return through the town was pretty fast; I tried to stay close to the girl who had just passed me, the cyclist, but she was riding really hard. So, I just kept my pace and tried to get some distance on the other girl, the runner.

Not much really, probably ride with my own bike (I used Felix's). I beat my projected time by 8 minutes and held a good pace even on the climbs.

I had only trained in the aero position for about a month, but never on the downhills. This time I didn't hesitate to go aero at all times.
Transition 2
  • 02m 4s
Comments:

The volunteers were excellent again, and I got through it very fast. Got some sponges and water splashed on me. I forgot something this time around also: my race belt and number.

Luckily, organizers weren't strict and I received my number for the remainder of the run and was not disqualified.
Run
  • 2h 13m 50s
  • 21 kms
  • 06m 22s  min/km
Comments:

This was my best part of the race. I had planned for 2:30 since my previous best stand-alone 21k was 2:06.

When the run began, second place was 3 minutes ahead and fourth place had not arrived from the bike. Again, I didn't know what was going on and Felix told me the times.

My strategy was to fall into pace on the first lap and see where second place was and keep a good distance on the fourth place girl, whom I knew was a good runner.

On the return of the first lap, I realized that the second-place girl had picked up the pace and had about 8 minutes on me. And I knew I was another 8 minutes ahead of fourth place.

I tried to keep my pace and make sure I saw the other girls at least in the same place every lap. I drank a lot, used the sponges and got showered with water at every aid station.

I really liked the fact that I felt so good that walking never crossed my mind, not even on the big climbs. In the last lap, I picked up the pace and didn't want to get caught so close to the end.

As I approached the finish line, the longest part for me was the final 300 meters from the hotel entrance. I ran fast because I wanted to see if I had beaten my goal of 7hrs.

My favorite and most exciting moment was to look at the official watch to see 6:37!

I don't know. I'm officially a triathlete. It was a perfect race for me.
Post race
Warm down:

As soon as I finished, I began to notice that I was really tired, but never felt it during the race.

I received a wonderful massage that brought me back to life. Then a refreshing dip in the pool and a great pizza dinner with Felix's family and my first beers in about six months!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Swim: Need to improve my speed. I know that I can cover the distance and swim in open water.

Bike: I'm getting better. More kilometers on the road bike.

Run: I had a good run, but can always improve.

I realized that the persons who one usually sees at the head of the pack are human and not entirely out of reach. I never felt down because it was my first time. I learned to race and am coming back next year.

Event comments:

This is the sixth edition of this race. And it is probably up to international standards. I highly recommend it. People from Argentina, the US and Germany have raced here before.

I would like to thank Felix, who is my soon to be husband and trainer because he makes me get up in the morning to train, is patient with me and has made this journey the most exciting race ever. This is not a hobby for us anymore; it is a lifestyle. This achievement is his as much as mine.

By being consistent, anything is possible.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2006-06-13 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:55:41 | 1900 meters | 02m 56s / 100meters
Age Group: 3/4
Overall: 0/92
Performance: Average
Suit: No wetsuit
Course: 2 laps starting to the right and out and then to the left with the current and back to shore.
Start type: Run Plus: Shot
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:22
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed:
Biking
03:22:38 | 90 kms | 26.65 km/hr
Performance:
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: 11 km through the city + 3 22.5k laps + 11 km back to transition area. Very hilly and windy.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 95
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks:
T2
Time: 02:04
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
02:13:50 | 21 kms | 06m 22s  min/km
Performance: Good
Course: 3 laps. 1st KM on dirt, then 1 hill out and 2 hills back. A total of 9 hills throughout the run.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2006-06-18 5:11 PM

User image

New user

Brisbane, Queensland
Subject: Margarita Island Half-Iron Triathlon "L"

2006-06-18 6:19 PM
in reply to: #457982

User image

Extreme Veteran
Melbourne
Subject: RE: Margarita Island Half-Iron Triathlon "L"
Congratuations on all accounts Mayde, your first race, a placing and providing us with a great read! It's fabulous to see that all the hard work paid off.
2006-06-18 9:43 PM

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
Congrats! You did so great. A podium finish in your first is incredible. As always, your race reports are excellent. Very happy for you!
2006-06-18 9:48 PM
in reply to: #458044

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tokyo, Japan

Wow Mayde, great job!!  I knew you had it in you.  But not only a great time, 3rd in your AG...AWESOME!!

BTW, you also did a GREAT job on your RR.

2006-06-19 12:43 PM

User image

Congratulations Mayde!!! The race report was a fun to read and very informative.  I am really impressed with how you handled everything that you dealt with in the race.

Pam and I both really enjoyed reading your race report and your blogs, the way you two do so much together and how you enjoy life together, very inspiring!!!!

Again, Congratulations TRI GIRL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Margarita Island Half-Iron Triathlon "L" Rss Feed