BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Fred D Mentor Group Part III Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 115

2012-09-30 10:53 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2012-10-01 7:57 AM
in reply to: #4433790

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
Subject: RE: Fred D Mentor Group Part III

WHEN CAN YOU START: Immediately

NAME: Experior / Michael Dickson

STORY: I am an adult-onset athlete.  Until age 40, setting aside a few early-aborted attempts to start running, I was not particularly healthy.  I looked at myself in the mirror (on my 40th birthday no less, so all clichés apply) and didn't like what I saw, the model I was setting for my kids, and generally how I felt.  I went out and ran a mile and it nearly killed me.  For some reason, I did it again the next day, and after a while it stuck.  Not long after that, I got injured from too much running too soon, and so looked into biking and then swimming, and that's how I stumbled onto triathlon.  In fall 2008 I read about Ironman in a magazine while being treated for an injury I got running my first marathon and said "I'm gonna do that" and signed up for Ironman Kentucky.  My first races were in the spring of 2009.   I made a lot of other pretty big changes in my life, and now -- excluding the truly important things like family and trying to be a good person -- training is my priority.

FAMILY STATUS: I have been married for 18 years.  I have three children, aged 11, 9, and 7 (two boys and girl, in that order), a dog, an itinerant cat, two hermit crabs, and three roaches (my wife's -- I'm not into roaches as pets...).  We live in Columbia, SC, where my wife grew up (and where I was an undergraduate).  We moved (back) here in 2004, from Indiana.

CURRENT TRAINING:  I finished Ironman Wisconsin a few weeks ago and I'm not fully back on track, but a race this past weekend has put the fire back in my belly.  During the first part of the off-season, I will be run-focused (probably my strongest discipline -- it sure ain't the swim!) until December when I hope to PR at the half-marathon distance.  Next Spring I'm racing two 70.3 events.  I relearned, this past weekend, how much my lack of swimming ability is holding me back right now, so I will try to get focused on the swim this winter.  That will be a big mental challenge for me.

2012 RACES: In 2012, my big focus was on Wisconsin.  I raced a HIM in the spring, and a handful of shorter races.  One more to go -- Kiawah half marathon, where (knock on wood) I'm looking for a PR.

2013 RACES:  Florida 70.3, then two weeks later (was that dumb??) Raleigh 70.3.  As usual, I'll do some of the local shorter races as well. and some running races.

WEIGHTLOSS: When I got into this business I was quite overweight.  I lost 40 pounds or so in several months, and a bit more over the next year, and now I hover around 140, give or take 5 pounds.  At the moment, I'm carrying a little extra post-IM weight, and looking to get down to 135 for my race in December.  

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MEMBER OF THE GROUP:  I love endurance sport, and I spend an inordinate amount of time reading about it, discussing it with others, trying to learn from others, and trying to help others learn about it.  I admit that I'm obsessive about it (to the point of taking courses, working with ex phys people at my school, etc.), but better about that than the things I used to obsess about.  I believe that we all have things to learn from one another.  I've run several active and successful mentor groups in the past, and I might even run another.  My groups (last couple co-mentored with slowrnow/Randy) tend to be more beginner-focused.  I love helping these beginners and even meeting up with them at races -- but I also crave the kinds of discussion that can happen only with experience, and like Fred, I've given up on the main forums.  Except on days when work overwhelms me, I check in to BT multiple times per day, and love responding to questions, posing questions, and looking in on how the mentor group members are doing.  I log all of my training here.

2012-10-01 11:36 AM

Elite
PEI, Canada
I'm in!  I'll post a new bio later today.
2012-10-01 11:48 AM

Master
, California

I'll paste this in from the old thread and update a few things:

Name:  Mark

Story:  I played club soccer at a pretty high level for many years.  Gave it up, finally, after my 3rd knee surgery.  I started doing triathlons as a way to occupy my time and keep me off the soccer field.  In high school and college I played water polo and I have some cycling background as well.  I enjoy long course racing and my focus is on HIM / IM distance.

Family Status:  Single.

2012 Races:  IM Canada.

2013 Races:  IM Lake Tahoe, possibly Rev3 Portland (half).  Hoping to get out for an east coast race sometime but that might be 2014.

Weight goals:  6'2", pretty steadily 150-160lbs regardless of what I do.  I try to focus on just eating healthy foods with a lot of variety.

Health: I suffered from a pulmonary embolism June 30, 2012 and as many of you know, barely managed to race in Canada.  Doctors currently plan to have me on coumadin for a full year.  This has put a dent in my power numbers and aerobic output in general, so I'm working on recovery.

Off-season plans: I typically self-coach, but due to my injury I decided to sign up with a local coach starting in January.  I think it'll be beneficial and safer to have someone keeping an eye on me.  Currently I'm planning on heavy swim focus Oct - Dec.  Bike will be 100% indoor trainer until summer when I'm done with my treatment.
2012-10-01 11:48 AM
in reply to: #4435053

2012-10-01 11:50 AM

Payson, AZ

WHEN CAN YOU START: Immediately

NAME: bzgl40 / Kimberly Smith (Kim really)

STORY: Been an athlete pretty much all my life.  During school it was team sports, mostly basketball but when I went to university I didn’t want to do 40 hours of basketball on top of school.  So I started running off and on.  Did the occasional race, the Terry Fox runs and what not but really just dabbled in it.  Eventually I got turned on to marathons.  My first attempt at training lasted two weeks.  I then went back to mountain climbing.  But the next year for some reason it stuck.  I then got sucked into a cycling group and somehow ended up doing DU’s.  One of my friends decided to do a tri and that was all the motivation I needed to finally learn something other than the dog paddle.  I still remember standing at the start line wondering if I could do that swim, and it was just a tri-it.

FAMILY STATUS: Live with my significant other, 2 dogs, and 1 cat.  My partner is mostly supportive, even searching out races for me, regardless if I am wanting to race or not.  There does come a point though when it gets to be to much and I have to go birding. 

CURRENT TRAINING:  Since moving to Payson I haven’t been training much.  My last race was the DU Nationals back in Tucson.  I’ve been running and sometimes biking but no access to swimming here.  Biking here is not that safe so it has not been a focus.  I have been focusing on strength training and leaning up as of late.  My winter goals are to increase my running to at least 20MPW and hopefully improve performance around there and just get my base back on the bike, even if it means the trainer

2012 RACES:  The 2012 season ended early for me with the Galveston HIM, followed by the National DU’s.  I had planned on more but you know what they say about the best laid plans

2013 RACES:  I am unsure what I will do in 2013.  I know there is a move in my future so I will see what access that brings me to biking and swimming.  If nothing else I will do some running races, maybe even another marathon

WEIGHTLOSS: I am at a healthy weight but I want to lean up some.  I want to look like the athlete I feel I am

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MEMBER OF THE GROUP:  I love to talk about training in general and of course specifically sbr.  I also like to share my experiences so that others can learn from either my mistakes or successes but also like to encourage others.

2012-10-01 11:57 AM

Champion

My bio:

NAME: Melissa Dymond.

STORY: This is my 4-5th year doing triathlon. I'm a former competitive swimmer--hit about jr national level and swam varsity for UofAlberta. I started triathlon for 2 reasons: to lose weight and to get involved in competitive sport again. I spent a few seasons doing shorter distances and then decided to set my sights on IMLP in 2011 and finished in 14:02. I had a fairly successful 2011 season with finishing the IM and podiuming a few times in sprints/olys. 2012 has been fairly light training and racing wise due to rotations and call. I'm in the midst of applying for residency right now--letters, letters and more letters. I'm applying to emergency medicine as my primary choice and anesthesia and family medicine as my seconds. I've just finished 7 weeks on emergency medicine and now I'm starting a surgery block for orthopedics, ENT and plastics. This year will be quite travel loaded due to electives, personal travel/races, and residency interviews. Excited and anxious.

FAMILY STATUS: Single

CURRENT TRAINING: I've been training recently for a HM this weekend. I am coached by Mike Ricci via online coaching/TPs. So far things have been going well and I am looking forward to continue with him. I'm in a bike/run focused block right now because swimming is my strength.

2012 RACES: 2012 was a bit of a light racing year due to school/rotations: Alberta Challenge Oly (3rd AG), Victoria Half Marathon (next weekend)

2013 RACES: Feb HM, California 70.3--March 2013, Hawaii 70.3--June 2013, IM France--June 2013. My big A race will be IM France. I'm heading off to Kona prior to the HIM for my last heavy training block before France. I think right now I am aiming for a sub 13hr. 

WEIGHT LOSS GOALS: I would like to lose around 10-15lbs over the year before IM France. I'm on the stocky side at 5'6" and currently around 166lbs. I've never been particularly lean though and my lowest weight when swimming was around 145lbs in grade 10-11. 

WINTER TRAINING GOALS: My main goal over the next few months is to maintain consistency. It is my main limiter for sure and working with a coach has def held me more accountable even with a busy schedule. I will mainly be focusing on bike/run over the next few months. I'm heading to Maui at Xmas for 3 weeks, so that should be a good block of training for me! 

WHAT WOULD MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE: My triathlon experience isn't nearly as vast as the majority of the members of this group and I am not the most active poster due to time constraints but I do learn a lot from the conversations that happen on here. I like hearing the different perspectives on training and following you all throughout the season in your races!

2012-10-01 12:31 PM

NC

Thanks again for having me Fred.  Bio with updates:

Name:  Marshall

Short Story:  In 2009, I found myself a fat, lazy, high blood pressured father of two young kids.  My primary care physician essentially told me I needed to get it together . . .  soon (I love her).  I started with a couch to 5K a run group at the local running store and progressed up to a really slow HM in late 2010.  Started swimming in late 2010.  I was DFL in my AG at my first duathlon in 2011.  I think it was like 16mph.  I did a few sprints in 2011 and ended up with a Olympic.  I was pleased to have done it, but not pleased with finding myself in the bottom third of results.  I worked my tail off on the trainer this past winter and have seen a vast improvement on the bike.  Finished in the top 20% in a 50 mile timed bike ride in the mountains this summer.  Considering I can't descend or corner, I was pleased, but man that was a brutal ride.  At my second sprint this year, I took 13 minutes off my time from last year.  However, a 26:xx run split absolutely kills me (although I realize it's better than last year's 30:xx).  Currently battling a lot of foot pain.  According to the chiro, my feet are "designed for pain."  Awesome.  Riding a CAAD10.5.  I'm working on getting as un-aero as possible.

Family Status:  Married (wife races) with 2 kids.  6 and 3.  The 6yo has had the fastest swim split in his triathlons this summer and won a few.  I am constantly reminded that I have not.  The 3yo is going to be a better cyclist than all of us.  She's fierce.

Current Training:  No real plan.  Target 3x bike (two group rides 30 & 50 and one computrainer at the LBS), 3x Masters swim and 5x run.  I got walking pneumonia in early August and that really shelved training for me for about 5 weeks.  I working on getting some of that back.

2012 Races:  Did a few sprints and saw improvements in all my races.  Still slow, relatively.  I had to pass on my last couple of races becaue I was sick.

Weight loss goals:  I've dropped 70lbs since I started running.  6'4" and holding between 168-170 [this is currently holding at 173, so I need to get that down a hair].  I'm happy to keep it there.  I seriously can't afford another new wardrobe.

Winter goals and 2013:  I just need to get consistent.  I would like to work back up to 20-25 mpw and get in a bunch of trainer time.  I have a 8 mile tough trail race planned for February, so the running needs to pick up.  In 2013, I'll probably do a few sprints and hopefully a couple Olympics and maybe an HIM, but no real rush to go longer.  I would like to get in a few more long bike rides in the mountains.

What makes me a good mentee:  I have plenty of room for improvement.

2012-10-01 12:42 PM

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
Hello all!

WHEN CAN YOU START: Immediately

NAME: gsmacleod / Shane MacLeod

STORY: I have been involved in sport for a long time although primarily as a recreational athlete. I discovered triathlon in 2004 and starting training in August 2004 for my first race in June 2005. I found BT with a search shortly after I decided to get involved in the sport and have been posting here ever since. I've enjoyed some success as an athlete in the sport, primarily at the local level although I have competed on the national and international stage with the Canadian Forces on a few occasions. My focus as an athlete has been around the olympic distance, both draft legal and non-draft legla. As I've been a coach in a variety of sports (started coaching in 1994), becoming involved in the sport as a coach was a natural progression and in 2007 I started coaching triathletes and since then have coached athletes both online and in person. In 2011 I was named the Canada Games triathlon head coach for Nova Scotia for our 2013 Canada Games and my focus for the past two years has been on working with our youth and junior development athletes in preparation for the games in 2013 and 2017.

FAMILY STATUS: Married for eight years this month and have a 2 year old daughter, Alexis.

CURRENT TRAINING: Primarily bike commuting and running with x-country athletes. No serious training for the past few years as my focus has morphed to primarily coaching.

2012 RACES: Triathlon - one sprint distance race, terrible swim, ok bike, pretty good run; Bike - one crit and cyclocross starting soon, Run - one 5k with a stroller

2013 RACES: Not sure; maybe a few races but focus will be on Canada Games in August

WEIGHTLOSS: Following university I continually gained weight until I was about 250lbs; lost of bunch of weight and then started triathlon; weight is normally between 170-180lbs these days.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MEMBER OF THE GROUP: I love gaining and sharing knowledge with others.

Shane
2012-10-01 12:51 PM

Expert
San Luis Obispo, CA

NAME: Byron

STORY: This is my third year of triathlon.  When I found BT I was 245 lbs and had let myself go physically.  After starting the Couch to Sprint program I raced my first race in 2010.  LOVED IT!  I suffered a major bike accident on August 25, 2012, and had to cancel my last two races.   I have my sights set on HIM’s in 2013.

FAMILY STATUS: Dating

CURRENT TRAINING: I’m combining HM training and HIM base training.  Running trails, swim Masters and OWS, and only riding TrainerRoad (not ready for the open road quite yet)

2012 RACES: Wildflower Olympic (PR, but not happy due to IT problem).  Folsom Sprint-3rd Place AG (First podium).  Canceled due to crash: Pacific Grove Olympic, Morro Bay Olympic.  North Face Challenge HM – Dec 2.

2013 RACES: Palm Desert Olympic, California 70.3, Wildflower Half (team – swim), Vineman 70.3, Trans Tahoe Relay (Swim)

WEIGHT LOSS GOALS: I’m very happy with my weight.  I’m 6’4” and weigh 175 lbs.  I’d like to add some lean muscle, so I’m adding a couple of weight training sessions a week. 

WINTER TRAINING GOALS: Build an aerobic base and get my body ready for HIM’s. 

WHAT WOULD MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE: Since I’m moving up to the 70.3’s next year I will be gleaning as much as possible from the more knowledgeable members of this group.
2012-10-01 1:00 PM

Melon Presser

Hi, I'm lost. I noticed there were a bunch of other big losers here (WEIGHT, people, WEIGHT) so it's as good a place as any to call home ... oh, and I bring {MELON PRESS}.

Name's Arsiyanti Ardie, but go by Yanti.

Sports background: Growing up in Indonesia, I swam with my high school and national teams. After going to the U.S. for college, I first competed in badminton at a national level, then coached/competed in martial arts at the world level (pro to the tune of beer and food money), but after an injury became sedentary and eventually morbidly obese. Fast forward … a student suckered me into doing a charity marathon—then I learned how to ride a bike and picked swimming back up! After 15 years in the States, I've been back in Indonesia for 3.5 years (mostly on the paradise island of Bali).

Me and a small group of endurance athletes here decided triathlon was the perfect sport for a place where no one knows how to swim and the rest can't afford a bike, so we've literally started triathlon from scratch and now there are over 500 Indonesian triathletes, 4 triathlons, and I'll hopefully be taking the first contingent of Indonesian triathletes abroad for official international competition (Arafura Games, which is a regional Games held in Australia) next year (CRAP May is coming up FAST!!!). I do a fair amount of coaching, mostly in swim.

Current training: Last 2.5 years have been coming back from 18 (!) bouts of serious illness or injury, including now. I'm still hoping to do IMWA on Dec. 9th--the 5th iron race I signed up for and done most of the training for, so I REALLY want to finish (first 3 had to bail for life events, 4th got pulled from bike due to hypothermia). If not, I'm also signed up for IMNZ in March . Continuously building swim volume for long-term goal (late 2013 at earliest) of crossing the Lombok Strait (about 40K as crow flies, so it'll be plenty longer).

Family status: 36, strange and single, have a black Lab who's smarter than I am and trains the other dog and cats to outsmart me, too. We call it the Funny Farm here. I spend a lot of time with my folks in Jakarta (1.5hr plane flight) as they're old and sick and need a lot of ongoing management of health and affairs.

Weight loss: Down about 130 lbs from my peak weight. Weight's been messy the last couple years from the illnesses where I'll lose a lot of weight, then pudge back up from inactivity and eating everything in sight because I feel like I'm starving. Am currently at (gulp) 150 and looking to be 140ish for IMWA.

What I bring: Some perspectives of doing things a little differently, due both to my personal experiences and helping to start triathlon here. A lot of open-water ocean experience. I also worked as a researcher, writer/editor, and trainer for a global fitness and sports company for several years (SPIN Fitness, as in Spinning(R), SPINeRVALS, they have a bunch of brands now).

2012-10-01 1:16 PM

Pro
NJ

NAME: Kim (2)

STORY:  I started running in my early 40’s to get back in shape. Biking and swimming followed.

FAMILY STATUS  Single

CURRENT TRAINING: I am just starting to bike and run again after a long break due to injuries.  I had a herniated disc (with annular tear) at L4-L5. After 9 months of rest/PT/and a couple epidurals I am going to slowly try running again. I plan to use the BarryP program and have been trying some
short (1-2 miles) runs to see how I feel.  I am also planning to put some significant time on the bike this winter, probably following Jorge’s plan or using TR. I did swim consistently during my down time
and am going to try and keep at least 3 pool sessions a week on my schedule. In the past I have had to travel extensively for work so running was always my default activity.  My work obligations are easing up quite a bit right now, so I have more time and flexibility than usual.

2012 RACES: The only plan I had in 2012 was a fall marathon. That ended early due to severe hip pain from disc issues.

2013 RACES: My goal is to complete a 70.3 this year. I have a deferral for NYC Marathon, so if my back/hip hold up I’d like to do a fall marathon.

WEIGHTLOSS: I am pretty lean right now. At 5’10” my weight fluctuates between 130-135. I am careful about my diet but Halloween through Christmas is the time of year I typically gain a few pounds.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE:  I’ve been following this group for a while and
look forward to training smarter as a result of being part.

2012-10-01 1:25 PM

2012-10-01 1:30 PM

2012-10-01 1:43 PM

In, thanks for hosting again Fred.  Will post bio later....
2012-10-01 1:45 PM

Master
Midcoast Maine

So glad to see this Fred! I'd love to join:

NAME: itsallrelative_Maine / Jennifer Wayland

STORY:  Inactive (mostly) until starting triathlon training 3.5 years ago. A local triathlon (in the boonies in Maine) course passes right by my house. I watched one year and thought that there was no reason I couldn't do that with some training...so I trained and DNF'ed due to a bike mechanical. I made myself sign up for another sprint two months out and was able to finish that time - and officially caught the bug. After my initial sprint year, I did another couple of sprints and an Olympic - but had to cut the season short due to family illness. The next year (2011) I planned on completing my first HIM - but was derailed by an injury (the cuboid bone in my right foot slips out of place due to a long ago run in with a car). This year, I completed my first HIM (Patriot HIM in East Freetown, MA in June) and was pumped up after finishing, I promptly signed up for another (Pumpkinman HIM in South Berwick, ME in September). I finished but was crushed by my solidly BOP performance.

FAMILY STATUS  Married (20 years in February) with two girls (12 and 10), an aging cat and the best running buddy yellow lab a girl could ask for.

CURRENT TRAINING: After my HIM performance, I told my husband to sell my bike and wetsuit because I was all done with triathlon. I am now slowly, slowly, slowly finding my way back into training. I am thinking of working on Jorge's Winter Cycling program (I do the bulk of my bike on the trainer due to schedule constraints and the fact that there are no shoulders on the roads up here), continuing to build the strength back in my foot with the help of a PT while using BarryP's running program. Right before the second HIM, I was running between 35-40 mpw, which I really enjoyed. I'd like to get back there - pain free. Swimming....this I struggle with. There aren't any Master's Swim options nearby, I have access to a pool, but am not very good at swimming, so I don't like to do it. I would like to swim 3 times a week, but because it is my least favorite of the three sports, it becomes the first to fall when schedule conflicts arise.

2012 RACES: I completed the Great Bay Half Marathon in April with a dear friend, the Patriot HIM in June (fantastic race - I really liked it) and Pumpkinman HIM in September. Nothing's on the calendar for the rest of 2012, but if the foot holds up, I wouldn't mind doing another half marathon before the roads get really crappy.

2013 RACES: My four year ago goal for 2013 was a full distance, but after my experience on the HIM distance, I'm thinking I need to get this figured out before moving up. Also - I figure I should try to spend time with the kids while they still want to hang around with me...there's always time for the full in a few years.

WEIGHTLOSS: I'd always like to lose a few, but don't have the motivation to be strict enough with my eating. I did Paleo for the first three months on 2012 and didn't notice anything significantly different.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE:  I am pretty active on the boards and always want to learn.

2012-10-01 1:48 PM
in reply to: #4435302

Master
Midcoast Maine

Fred D - 2012-09-30 2:30 PM WINTER GOALS: definitely should post a few priority winter goals. For me, there is really one high goal, which is get my running back on track. I am just starting Barry P's 3-2-1 running plan with one week in the book. I am also doing Finding freestyle swimming and will bike when I can. Many of us are considering the Barry P plan and I have the ST links if interested. Tom also made a PDF file for it as well.

Up 1 mph on bike (using Jorge's plan)

Get back to 35-40 mpw running using BarryP's plan (I've been using it for a year now - it is really good)

Swim - try that balance thing Fred posted on TT awhile back - it really made sense to me...but I haven't had time to work on it yet.

2012-10-01 1:55 PM

Name: Jason

STORY:  Just finished my 3rd full season of endurance training.  Started out in the summer of 2009 training for my first marathon, then caught the tri bug in 2010.  I have since grown a strong passion for the bike, and have gotten more into bike racing the last 2 years.

I've done 3 sprints, 5 Olys, 2 HIMs, 3 marathons, a bunch of bike races, and other various events.  Still no immediate desire to do an iron distance race, but I am strongly considering one in early 2014.

I'm born and raised in Hawaii (lucky me), so I can train year round. 

FAMILY STATUS: GF is also a triathlete.  No kids, she has a cat.

CURRENT TRAINING: I just came off a huge cycling summer where I pretty much forgot how to run and swim.  I don't have any races planned for the fall/winter, so I'm just using this time to base train for next year.

2012 RACES:  3 time trials, 4 cycling road races, 1 Oly, 1 HIM, 1 Relay.  Won my first race ever during one of my cycling road races (Cat 4/5), and also won the relay (bike leg) I participated in.

2013 RACES:  Going to be my lightest race schedule to date.  Going to focus on Honu 70.3 as my real A race.  I'll throw in a few other races, but nothing that big.  I'm scheduling assuming I will race Strongman Miyako-jima in April 2014 (3k swim, 155k bike, marathon)...so I don't want to burn myself out in 2013...as training will need to start in October.

WHAT WOULD MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE:  I'm active on the forums, and I'm a sponge for knowledge.  I log every workout, and love to do analysis on my progress.  I've been training with power for over 2 years.

WEIGHT LOSS GOALS:  I'm 5'6" and 160 pounds right now.  I've been 157-162 for the past 3 years, but have constantly tried to get down to 143-148 which would be an ideal race weight for my build.  I know how to get there, it's just about discipline.

2012-10-01 1:56 PM

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA

Name:  James

My Story:  I did my first Triathlon in Korea 1983.  A few years later I moved to Hawaii and got hooked hard on Tri’s during the off season of cycling racing.  I also was heavy into bicycle racing at the time and made it to a CAT II road racer.  In the mid 80's I qualified for Kona at a half iron event in a military slot.  I did the original Ironman course on Oahu in the mid 80’s with a group of other guys finishing in around 13+ hours.  It was a low key with your own support kind of event.

I returned to triathlon training and racing in Jan 2008 after a long break.  Everything was going well until 2010 when a serious illness stopped me in my tracks.  I am all better now with Gods grace and I am now moving forward.

I have many years of racing experience in running, cycling and triathlons.  Since my 2008 return I have done 2 Ironman, 9 half’s and a bunch of other Tri’s.  I have done many, many more Tri's in total in all the years I have raced.  I hope I could share my experiences with others.  I am very serious about my training and will welcome any questions or HTFU.

Family:  Married and we raised 3 fine young adults.

Current Training:  My current weekly training is around 8-13hr a week with builds of much more.  My training is very unorthodox but is working well for me.  Probable with the years of experience I guess.  I use no coach; follow no set plan except the one in my head projected 2 weeks out.  I see the goal and know what I need to get there.  I train primarily with RPE and with HR as a limiter.  I am a natural swimmer, a good cyclist but my running needs a lot of work.  I really love long hilly rides and I am a fan of over mileage on the bike for race prep.  My biggest effort is the long runs were as I struggle to bring it to form. 

2012 Races:  3 sprints, 1 Oly, 2 HIM and aMarathon

2013 Races:  Maybe a couple of sprints, then; Rev3 Quassy HIM, Mont-Tremblant 70.3, Ironman Lake Placid and maybe another HIM

Winter Goals:  Work on the long run, bike FTP and build some leg muscle.

Weight Loss Goals:  None really.  I currently weigh 170lbs’ish would like to get to 165lbs but not a high priority.

Interest in this group:  Fred is a good friend of mind.  I have done a few races with him and plan on a few more.  I want to be part of a group of serious Triathletes to share my experiences.  Although I am a bit more reserved and quite I hope to be active and help or contribute where I can.

2012-10-01 1:59 PM

Pro

NAME: Elaine

STORY:  1st tri in 2006, completed 2 HIMs in the last 2 years, and one marathon. Shipping to Army National Guard Basic Training and OCS - will be gone from mid-January to mid-June.

FAMILY STATUS  Living with the boyfriend and my dog.

CURRENT TRAINING: Coming off a week of rest for an irritated knee. Consistency has been an issue that I'm looking to fix. After that, it's running and strength training to prepare for Basic. And biking and swimming a little, too!

2012 RACES: Tinfoilman sprint - 10/14, Rev3 Florida Relay - 10/28, Ragnar Las Vegas - 11/9.

2013 RACES: My goal is to hit the ground running and qualify for the US Army Tri Team, which means posting a sub 2:35 Olympic race... but I'll likely hit that time in 2014, so for 2013 - get back at Tri training, and be consistent.

WEIGHTLOSS: Could lost 5lbs if I were motivated...

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE:  I have a lot to learn - and this group is certainly knowledgable!

2012-10-01 2:02 PM

My winter focus will be on weight loss and building more swim volume.

2012-10-01 2:04 PM
in reply to: #4435224

Expert
Norton Shores, MI

Really enjoy this group and all the good info...thanks for having me Fred.

NAME: Ryan (rymac)

STORY:  I am 31.  This is my 5th year in triathlon.  I played every sport when I was younger except for swimming, biking and running.  I was primarily a hockey, basketball, soccer player.  My sister did a couple IM's and I got hooked on it immediately after crossing my first finish line.

FAMILY STATUS:  Married with an 18 month old daugther.  I primarily workout very early in the morning and at lunch time so I can have all evening with them.

CURRENT TRAINING: Recovery mode after just finishing up my season.  I am looking at a season plan for 2013 from Endurance Nation.  I will be doing a 4 week preseason before diving into their outseason plan....I think.

2012 RACES:  2 HIM races (Grand Rapids & MI Titanium) and 2 Olympics (Grand Haven & Tawas) with several running races.  Set 10K, 15K and Half Marathon PRs.

2013 RACES:  I will likely be doing a very similar race schedule as this year with Grand Rapids HIM and Mi Titanium HIM as my 'A' races.  I plan on some early season running races.

WEIGHT LOSS GOALS: Currently at 168 lbs but would like to race below 160.  I am watching what I eat quite a bit now but it goes in spurts.  Not overly worried about it.

WINTER TRAINING GOALS: Get Fast!  I am going to push swimming to the back of the bus again this winter and continue to work on Bike/Run through intensity.  The ROI for swimming is low for me* considering all the admin/travel time.  I will still swim 1x week minimum.

WHAT WOULD MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE: I continually learn and pick up different things from this group and love all the input. 

2012-10-01 2:09 PM
in reply to: #4435384

2012-10-01 2:19 PM
in reply to: #4435410

Fred D - 2012-10-01 9:09 AM
tri808 - 2012-10-01 3:02 PM

. What is your swim plan, masters? Coaching? Just swimming more?

I got to masters class once a week...but I've been doing that for a long time.  Other than that, just planning on swimming more.  I haven't thought about a more detailed swim plan yet.  Individual coaching would probably do a lot for me, but swimming is the hardest thing to fit into my schedule as it is.  My plan right now is to just do a lot of 10x100 or 20x50 type sets.

2012-10-01 2:30 PM
in reply to: #4435438

Melon Presser
tri808 - 2012-10-02 3:19 AM
Fred D - 2012-10-01 9:09 AM
tri808 - 2012-10-01 3:02 PM

. What is your swim plan, masters? Coaching? Just swimming more?

I got to masters class once a week...but I've been doing that for a long time.  Other than that, just planning on swimming more.  I haven't thought about a more detailed swim plan yet.  Individual coaching would probably do a lot for me, but swimming is the hardest thing to fit into my schedule as it is.  My plan right now is to just do a lot of 10x100 or 20x50 type sets.

If you want some ideas on fleshing (finning? watering?) out that swim plan, let us know. I'm sure some of the other fishies will jump in to help! Okay, okay, me too.

It's unfortunate but true that the greatest gains come when you consistently do sessions where you feel like a) barfing, b) crying, c) quitting, d) all of the above. Much like long crits

I've also found that doing such swimming poses a serious threat to weight loss (more so than similar cycling or running). It's doable, but can be tough to be really strict with yourself in terms of quality food and scheduling so that you're well-fueled for such workouts but able to resist post-crazy-swim munchies.

Boy, I'm just a ball of sunshine today, huh?

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Fred D Mentor Group Part III Rss Feed  

of 115