BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Fred D Mentor Group Part III Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 115

2012-12-21 1:17 PM
in reply to: #4543178

User image

Elite
Ontario
Subject: RE: Fred D Mentor Group Part III
tri808 - 2012-12-20 3:10 PM
GoFaster - 2012-12-20 9:58 AM
tri808 - 2012-12-20 12:59 PM

20' test was a bit ho hum.  Still not quite used to virtual power as I averaged 311 the first 10' and 334 the second 10' and wasn't even that gassed.  I was pouring on over 500 watts of VP in the last 30 seconds.  HR was also much lower than expected.

http://www.trainerroad.com/cycling/rides/132147

Jason - are you not running the PT at the same time?  I'm curious how the numbers compare.

I did, but the numbers are way off.  I think the PT read out something like 230.  The truth lies somewhere in the middle.  I'd guess it "felt" like 265.

I've come to accept that my outdoor and trainer power will never match for me.  So it's just a matter of creating baselines and improving on them.  Once I switch my trainer tire off my PT wheel, the PT is not going back on the trainer for simplicity's sake.

Hmmm - I always find it odd when people comment that outdoor and indoor power seems to be so variable.  Lots of people mention it, but I find that for the most part power syncs up fairly closely for me.

But I don't get why you don't believe the PT number.

2012-12-21 1:22 PM
in reply to: #4544407

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada
GoFaster - 2012-12-21 3:15 PM
axteraa - 2012-12-21 2:04 PM

We've been off work the last couple of days and it's been great.  The weather has been decent so we took the dogs to the beach both days which is insane for this time of year!

I got in a short but good swim this morning and a nice 45 min run as well.  

Best part of the day so far has been when my sushi guy called to offer me a super deal on a party tray tonight.  Ummm, ok!  Smile

You have a sushi guy....

Doesn't everyone?  

I gave him a $10 tip once and he asked me for my phone number and told me he would call sometime to offer me a special deal.  This is the second time he has done so.

2012-12-21 1:28 PM
in reply to: #4544422

User image

axteraa - 2012-12-21 9:22 AM

We've been off work the last couple of days and it's been great.  The weather has been decent so we took the dogs to the beach both days which is insane for this time of year!

Best part of the day so far has been when my sushi guy called to offer me a super deal on a party tray tonight.  Ummm, ok!  Smile

You have a sushi guy....

Doesn't everyone?  

I gave him a $10 tip once and he asked me for my phone number and told me he would call sometime to offer me a special deal.  This is the second time he has done so.

My boss is taking me out for Christmass lunch here.

http://mitchssushi.com/

Price is a bit steep as it's higher end, so I'm making sure to at least snack a little before we leave...LOL.

2012-12-21 1:33 PM
in reply to: #4544413

User image

GoFaster - 2012-12-21 9:17 AM

20' test was a bit ho hum.  Still not quite used to virtual power as I averaged 311 the first 10' and 334 the second 10' and wasn't even that gassed.  I was pouring on over 500 watts of VP in the last 30 seconds.  HR was also much lower than expected.

Jason - are you not running the PT at the same time?  I'm curious how the numbers compare.

I did, but the numbers are way off.  I think the PT read out something like 230.  The truth lies somewhere in the middle.  I'd guess it "felt" like 265.

I've come to accept that my outdoor and trainer power will never match for me.  So it's just a matter of creating baselines and improving on them.  Once I switch my trainer tire off my PT wheel, the PT is not going back on the trainer for simplicity's sake.

Hmmm - I always find it odd when people comment that outdoor and indoor power seems to be so variable.  Lots of people mention it, but I find that for the most part power syncs up fairly closely for me.

I don't have a real reason other than the two numbers don't jive for me.  The bottom line is that I have a metric I can use effictively.  If it's different for outdoors and the trainer...so be it. 

2012-12-21 1:52 PM
in reply to: #4543828

User image

Seattle

bzgl40 - 2012-12-21 6:10 AM So marathon training started this week and with the groups suggestion I am capping the long run at 16.  It'll be an interesting experiment.  However, once a week one of my runs is suppose to be at marathon pace.  I don't think I can really do that, I live at 5000 ft in a quite hilly town and will be racing on mostly flat at 2000ft.  So way harder to run here.  So I am thinking I'd do effort based runs instead.  Which leads me to my question.  What effort level should I be looking to hit for a marathon?  I assume I'm going to ultimately build into a harder effort.  My previous marathons have all been done at a half assed effort for one reason or another (or up a mountain so hard to use that race as a guide).  I could do HR training but honestly the HR monitor really bugs me when I run now for some reason so I've enjoyed my runs way more without it.

Since I am new in here would anyone care to fill me in on why you are suggesting capping the long run at 16? You can direct me to the page # in the thread if that is easier. I am just curious. 

2012-12-21 1:53 PM
in reply to: #4544448

Master
, California
tri808 - 2012-12-21 11:33 AM
GoFaster - 2012-12-21 9:17 AM

I don't have a real reason other than the two numbers don't jive for me.  The bottom line is that I have a metric I can use effictively.  If it's different for outdoors and the trainer...so be it. 

Just curious, why are you using virtual power indoors if you have a PT?  Diff bike / wheels?

Edit: let me rephrase that.  If I didn't want to swap my PT around, I'd probably use it indoor where I'm doing focused intervals, and go by RPE on my outdoor rides.

Edited by spudone 2012-12-21 1:54 PM

2012-12-21 2:05 PM
in reply to: #4544479

User image

spudone - 2012-12-21 9:53 AM Just curious, why are you using virtual power indoors if you have a PT?  Diff bike / wheels?

Edit: let me rephrase that.  If I didn't want to swap my PT around, I'd probably use it indoor where I'm doing focused intervals, and go by RPE on my outdoor rides.

I'm too lazy to switch the trainer tire off my PT wheel.  It's not snowing in Hawaii so I only ride the trainer about once or twice a week max.  So it's a pain to keep swapping the trainer tire off and on. 

2012-12-21 2:06 PM
in reply to: #4544438

User image

Payson, AZ
tri808 - 2012-12-21 12:28 PM
axteraa - 2012-12-21 9:22 AM

You have a sushi guy....

Doesn't everyone?  

My boss is taking me out for Christmass lunch here.

http://mitchssushi.com/

Price is a bit steep as it's higher end, so I'm making sure to at least snack a little before we leave...LOL.

Oh you guys and restaurants.  Rub it in.  God I can't wait to leave Payson.  I'll be able to bike, swim, and eat good food in resturants

2012-12-21 2:11 PM
in reply to: #4544477

User image

Payson, AZ
Asalzwed - 2012-12-21 12:52 PM

bzgl40 - 2012-12-21 6:10 AM So marathon training started this week and with the groups suggestion I am capping the long run at 16.  It'll be an interesting experiment.  However, once a week one of my runs is suppose to be at marathon pace.  I don't think I can really do that, I live at 5000 ft in a quite hilly town and will be racing on mostly flat at 2000ft.  So way harder to run here.  So I am thinking I'd do effort based runs instead.  Which leads me to my question.  What effort level should I be looking to hit for a marathon?  I assume I'm going to ultimately build into a harder effort.  My previous marathons have all been done at a half assed effort for one reason or another (or up a mountain so hard to use that race as a guide).  I could do HR training but honestly the HR monitor really bugs me when I run now for some reason so I've enjoyed my runs way more without it.

Since I am new in here would anyone care to fill me in on why you are suggesting capping the long run at 16? You can direct me to the page # in the thread if that is easier. I am just curious. 

Check out page 132.  But it basically came down to what volume I am comfortable running at and how long I have to build.  So the guys suggested trying the Hanson brothers approach, which fits in nicely with a volume I am comfortable with and something I can build to easily enough given I have a break in the middle.  I am a bit apprehensive about capping it but not like I was breaking records when I trained with the 20 milers in there.  lol

2012-12-21 2:16 PM
in reply to: #4544477

User image

Asalzwed - 2012-12-21 9:52 AM

Started on page 131.

2012-12-21 5:34 PM
in reply to: #4433790

User image

Looks like "SBR Utopia" is live in the main mentor forum area.  Not sure if Ron will move it to the archives until all other groups are filled like he originally suggested though.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Fred D Mentor Group Part III Rss Feed  

of 115