General Discussion Race Reports! » ChesapeakeMan Skipjack 75.2 Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

ChesapeakeMan Skipjack 75.2 Triathlon - Triathlon1/2 Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Cambridge, Maryland
United States
Columbia Triathlon Association
65F / 18C
Overcast
Total Time = 6h 49m 19s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Up at 4:45. Bagel, PB, banana, coffee with infinit mud, and gatorade. Drove to the T2/finish and took the shuttle over to the water.
Event warmup:

Nothing. Just watched the full ironman go off, panicked a little bit about how choppy the water was, and then went to the bathroom one last time and into the wetsuit. Getting that thing on is enough of a warm up for me.
Swim
  • 45m
  • 1931 meters
  • 02m 20s / 100 meters
Comments:

First time in salt water...I hated it! Got a few big gulps at the beginning with the big waves. Finally got the hang of breathing but with the waves could only breathe to my right after the turn and my neck really started to hurt. Also there weren't really enough bouys and I had a hard time finding them. I get so disoriented in the water.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing really---the conditions were rough but it was still a 3 minute PR!
Transition 1
  • 04m 58s
Comments:

Split transition meant we had to put our stuff in bags and go into the change tent. That was fine but then we also had to put our swim stuff back into the bag and I was having trouble getting my wetsuit stuffed in there. Also since it was cold and windy I took the time to put on my arm warmers which took a couple minutes to get on my wet arms but I think it was worth the time.

Maybe wear the arm warmers under my wetsuit? But it was nice to have something warm and dry to put on. I guess I could have tried to hustle more. I sat down in a chair and sort of just took my time.
Bike
  • 3h 57m
  • 66 miles
  • 16.71 mile/hr
Comments:

I hate wind. Probably not a good thing to realize 6 weeks out for IMAZ. I tried to stay aero as much as possible and not let it bother me. But with the last 10 miles into the strongest headwind I've ever ridden in my life, I was getting pretty frustrated.

Start out a little more conservatively. I wanted to bring my HR up throughout the ride and did the opposite...like always. Overall though, a huge PR and fun ride.
Transition 2
  • 02m 30s
Comments:

They took the bike from us and racked it which was AWESOME! Again I kind of took my time in transition and sat down for a second. I just wasn't in a big hurry for some reason. My stomach felt a little funny so I took an immodium just in case but it was too late....
Run
  • 1h 57m
  • 10 miles
  • 11m 42s  min/mile
Comments:

Started out good but then stomach started getting really bad around mile 2. Every time I tried to run it was like someone was grabbing my intestines and squeezing them. I walked as fast as I could to the port o potty at mile 3 and felt a lot better after that. Took some pepto bismol and started drinking coke and by the turn around at mile 5 I felt great. Was able to hugely negative split the run.

Did the best I could with my stomach issues I think. I could have pushed myself harder once I felt better though.
Post race
Warm down:

Drank water, stretched, and pretty much inhaled the most delicious bag of chips I have ever tasted.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Bike is always my limiter. I just need to get stronger at that. And not drink so much water in the swim.

Event comments:

Really great race. Extremely organized and the volunteers were great. The course was not very spectator friendly though and did get lonely with nobody but aid stations to cheer. Overall though it was a very fun, challenging but not impossible race and I would definitely recommend it and do it again.

Last updated: 2012-09-11 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:45:00 | 1931 meters | 02m 20s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit: Full
Course: Rectangle...keep bouys on right.
Start type: Wade Plus: Shot
Water temp: 71F / 22C Current: High
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 04:58
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
03:57:00 | 66 miles | 16.71 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: Headwind, cross wind, sometimes a little tailwind. The wind was brutal and never let up. My speeds ranged from 13-22 mph all depending on the wind because I was putting out consistent effort and it was totally flat. We did a short out and back and then a big loop through some wildlife reserves. Very pretty.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:30
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
01:57:00 | 10 miles | 11m 42s  min/mile
Performance: Average
Course: Flat out and back
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2012-09-30 12:31 PM

User image

Regular
Pittsburgh
Subject: ChesapeakeMan Skipjack 75.2 Triathlon

2012-10-03 6:46 PM
in reply to: #4433839

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: ChesapeakeMan Skipjack 75.2 Triathlon
Good job PRing the swim and the bike. Impressive to PR the swim with the chop, salt and incoming tide! Glad the run worked out and you negative split. Very cool. Wishing the best for your IMAZ. I hope yunz (couldn't resist the Pittsburgh slur :-) have a great time.
2012-10-04 1:09 PM
in reply to: #4433839

User image

Elite
Subject: RE: ChesapeakeMan Skipjack 75.2 Triathlon
Oh I saw  you! I wanted to give a pittsburgh tri club shout out but I think I was a little dazed and it took a minute to register. (my family is from Pittsburgh and I love it there, have done the Oly 4 times).  Good luck with Arizona!  If you can ride the hills of Pittsburgh (where do yinz--thats the right way to say it--ride??) you can do wind in Arizona.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » ChesapeakeMan Skipjack 75.2 Triathlon Rss Feed