Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2012-10-05 11:21 PM
in reply to: #4434933

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC
Subject: RE: Vacation Alone?

Our youngest daughter (26 at the time) went to Australia alone to work for a year then travelled on to Thailand, Cambodia, Laos and Viet Nam for an additional 3 months.

She was never lonely and had a great time.  She wanted to travel alone because she didn't want to be tied to any one else's agenda. 

2012-10-06 8:46 AM
in reply to: #4443372

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas
wenceslasz - 2012-10-06 12:21 AM

Our youngest daughter (26 at the time) went to Australia alone to work for a year then travelled on to Thailand, Cambodia, Laos and Viet Nam for an additional 3 months.

She was never lonely and had a great time.  She wanted to travel alone because she didn't want to be tied to any one else's agenda. 

I WANT TO DO THAT!

2012-10-06 10:19 AM
in reply to: #4436930

User image

Expert
stilgarnaib - 2012-10-02 12:34 PM
popsracer - 2012-10-01 4:36 PM

stilgarnaib - 2012-10-01 12:51 PM I once spent a week cave diving in Northern Florida by myself.  I loved it.  I didn't have to check with anyone on what to do or where do go, I just sorta went where the wind/current took me.

Isn't that kind of dangerous?

Some would argue that its more dangerous to cave dive with a buddy.  I think that school thinks of the 2nd person as another possible point of risk/panic/fail, now endangering 2 lives.  

I once had an incident with 2 other divers that got lost in a silt out, and I had to consciously make a decision to abandon them due to my "air rule".  However, after about 100 yards, as my conscience started digging into me, I turned back around luckily they were coming out of the cloud.

Dangerous?  Yes.  But its a calculated risk.  I planned my dives and dived my plans.  I took an extra "buddy bottle" for emergencies only and never had to use it.  I think I had 3rd back up light too.  Again, I never had to use it.

That sounds crazy wild and one thing I don't think I could ever do. AWESOME!!!

I've done trips/travelled and moved across the country/world alone, with friends, and with my husband. Really different dynamics.

All I can add to this super thread is,  I think one should adventure as much as one possibly can.. If one chooses to go in a group or solo.. it's all fantastic.

Like the overused Nike commercial "Just DO It"

2012-10-06 11:01 AM

User image

Expert
Johns Creek, Georgia
Triathlete = Type A.  And I love it.  Lone travelers, the path that others fear to take.  No agenda, no rules.
2012-10-26 6:18 AM

I have been to cities alone but never taken an actual vacation for more than a week alone. Last February I went to Massachusetts and saw the Basketball Hall of Fame. It was the best February vacation Massachusetts could have offered me, and surprisingly I was not bothered by the weather.
2012-10-26 8:43 AM

User image

Expert
, New Hampshire

I enjoy traveling alone, have done it, and have encouraged my husband to also travel without me. My husband did a 6 week motorcycle trip with his father from the Atlantic to the Pacific to the Arctic. He wasn't alone, but so many people commented on how "brave" or "crazy" I was to "let" my husband go on a trip without me. I trust him completely. He loves motorcycling (as do I, but I like to ride on paved roads, not over logs and through rivers, thanks) and it was a dream of his to do this trip while his dad was still young and healthy and strong. Why would I not "let" him? If he did the trip solo I'd be more concerned for his safety, but in this day and age of technology, I know I can hear from him frequently and stay in touch via email. I think his phone even has some GPS tracking that he can upload and I can follow online (not that I do).

I like traveling alone because it allows me to do some photography without the pressure of someone standing around waiting for me impatiently to get the money shot. No agenda but my own, and that's awesome!

Having the house to myself (and the cat) is a wonderful experience. No elaborate meals to cook, all the Colin Firth/Michael Fassbender movies I can handle, and blasting the stereo full volume and dancing in the dark. Bring it.

2012-10-26 5:54 PM

New user

Now I'm afraid I'm probably in the "wife won't let me group."

Before I was married it was nothing to disappear on the Harley for a few days-week.

I didn't get into much physical activity (tri, mountain bike, hiking, etc.) until after marriage. Now I'd like to go on adventures with her or alone.

2012-10-26 7:56 PM

User image

Elite

Sounds great to me...of course, the vacation can always start and end alone...but I'm sure you can make friends along the way.  

2012-10-27 11:05 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tucson

My wife let's me go backpacking alone a couple times a year.  I'm usually gone a week each time.

Of course, she's probably relieved to have me out of the house.

2012-10-28 10:32 AM

User image

Master
North edge of nowhere

I've done a couple of motorcycle road trips on my own, I've gone skiing over long weekends alone, and I regularly go to movies and to lunch or dinner alone. The last two might seem minor, but I've been questioned about them more than a few times. I don't get "lonely" when I'm alone; I almost always have a book with me or I can just look out the window and be fine. My girlfriends tend to not like it much; they want us to do things together to reinforce the bond of the relationship, but I need a bit more time to myself than a lot of folks. I'm not cheating on them, I'm not pulling-away (which is what they usually think), I just need time without perceived social obligations, without people demanding my attention for more than it takes to sign the credit card receipt.

I very strongly agree with the statement that it depends on your personality. Do you feel lonely when you're alone, or do you enjoy the time in your own head? Everyone is at a different point on the spectrum. Figure out what works well for you and go with it.

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Vacation Alone? Rss Feed  

of 2