Waco Wild West 100
90F / 32C
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 12m 49s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Drove up the night before, so made it an easy morning. Grabbed breakfast and then headed over to the race site. Got checked in and then went back to the cars to get our bikes. By the time we got to the start line it was almost time to get started. Riders were grouped by the distance they were planning to ride (100 first). We just hoped in around the 50 mile spot and started there. Caught up with Hilde and Tammy pre-race.
Event warmup:

None
Bike
  • 6h 12m 49s
  • 100 miles
  • 16.09 mile/hr
Comments:

This was hubby and my first century, so we just wanted to have fun and make it to the end. I got to bike with Hilde for about the first 15 miles while was a lot of fun. Then the courses split off. The course was a little crowded during the first 15 miles and then it thinned out at the split (by thinned out, I mean was basically empty!). After this point, we didn't see a car for the next 50 miles. It was a nice, mostly flat, course. The rest stops were great, with lots of energy. We stopped at almost all the stops, just to stretch legs for a minute and try to keep enjoying the ride. I had a stabbing knee pain start around mile 50. I wanted to scream. I've never had anything like this happen an I was worried if I could really make it. Luckily after the 60 mile mark, it went away and I was a new person. It did creep back up again at mile 95, but the end was in sight, so who cared! It was nice out when we started, but around 95F when we finished. It got a bit hot! All in all, we had a wonderful ride and would certainly love to do this course again.
Post race
Warm down:

Road back to the car and drove the 90 miles home.

Event comments:

Wonderful race support. There were so many rest stops (every 10-12 miles). Lots of cookies, candy, chips, sandwiches. Water and Gatorade on the course. All the stops were well stocked, but some of the later stops had also been stops for the shorter distances, so not as much was left.

Last updated: 2012-07-25 12:00 AM
Biking
06:12:49 | 100 miles | 16.09 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance:
Wind: Little
Course: Mostly flat course, maybe 30 miles of rollers. A few long hills, but nothing extreme. Rural course with the bulk of the course having NO cars! Great rest stops about every 10-12 miles. There were multiple spots where the road wasn't paved. It didn't last for long, but certainly the low-light of the course.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2012-10-01 2:28 PM

User image

Veteran
Austin
Subject: Waco Wild West 100

2012-10-01 3:44 PM
in reply to: #4435453

User image

Champion
Calgary
Subject: RE: Waco Wild West 100
sounds like a good time.
2012-10-05 4:37 PM
in reply to: #4435453

User image

Seattle
Subject: RE: Waco Wild West 100

Sounds like fun!!! How cool you got to do it together, too!

Also, glad that pain went away. Sheeesh! 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Waco Wild West 100 Rss Feed