Overall Rank = 53/975
Age Group = M40-44
Age Group Rank = 3/85
Run
  • 3h 15m 57s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 07m 29s  min/mile
Comments:

This was my last shot to qualify for Boston for next year. I ran this year's Boston with the 90 degree temps, and obviously did not requalify on that day. So I ran the Sugarloaf Marathon in May assuming that I'd get my BQ there, but it ended up in the eighties that day, and I missed by 2 minutes.

For the last six months I've been fighting some foot pain, for which I finally saw a podiatrist two weeks ago and was diagnosed with sesamoiditis. I had been running sporadically all summer, but about a month ago I decided I would go for it, and did a crash course of training for this marathon. I was able to squeeze in a few 20 milers, but was not at my peak for this race.

I started well, and felt like I was cruising comfortably through the half, which I hit just under 1:34. Miles 14-20 were decent, even though I was definitely slowing. I fought as hard as I could for the last 6.2, all the way until I hit the 3:15:00 mark a few hundred yards shy of the finish. I cruised home disappointed at having missed my BQ time by less than a minute, but I gave it all I could, and considering the limited training, the foot pain, the fever that I had on race day, and the pouring rain, I'll be satisfied with what I did on this day.

I'll run another marathon next spring, and I'm sure I'll get back to Boston in 2014.
Post race

Last updated: 2012-06-04 12:00 AM
Running
03:15:57 | 26.2 miles | 07m 29s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/85
Overall: 85/975
Performance: Good
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: