General Discussion Triathlon Talk » going vegan Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-10-01 6:45 PM

Regular
Brighton MA
Subject: going vegan
So I have done some research on athletes and going vegan and wanted to get some instant feedback from you all on here. What does everyone think? Are you vegan? How do you do it? I just started my journey today to try and go vegan and was pretty successful for the first day. I survived, this far. I know it will be tough, but wanted to get some insight from some of you folks on here and what everyone thinks..I want to gain some more energy throughout the day and have a more natural plant based diet. Im up for the challange and ready to give it a shot.

2012-10-02 10:35 AM
in reply to: #4435938

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Subject: RE: going vegan

I recommend checking out the Thrive Diet books by pro triathlete Brendan Brazier - lots of good stuff in there.
Otherwise, there are tons of resources online - just Google vegan recipes or what not.

Some quick ideas:
Veggies (duh ) and fruit - salads, etc.
Rice (brown, jasmine, basmati)
Quinoa
Lentils
Beans (chickpeas, black, red, white, kidney)
Oats
Tofu
Veg chili/soups
Smoothies - add hemp protein powder if you like
Pre-packaged frozen organic meals (Amy's is a great brand with vegan options)
Bars (Larabar, KIND bar, Raw Revolution, make your own)
Dried fruit
Nuts and nut butters
Hummus

2012-10-03 4:07 PM

User image

Master
Straight outta Compton

espejo09 - 2012-10-01 5:45 PM So I have done some research on athletes and going vegan and wanted to get some instant feedback from you all on here. What does everyone think? Are you vegan? How do you do it? I just started my journey today to try and go vegan and was pretty successful for the first day. I survived, this far. I know it will be tough, but wanted to get some insight from some of you folks on here and what everyone thinks..I want to gain some more energy throughout the day and have a more natural plant based diet. Im up for the challange and ready to give it a shot.

Just out of curiosity, why do you want to go vegan as opposed to just being a vegetarian?  (I'm not looking to pounce or judge, I'm just really curious why people make that choice).

2012-10-04 2:53 PM
in reply to: #4439547

User image

Veteran
mcgilmartin - 2012-10-03 5:07 PM

espejo09 - 2012-10-01 5:45 PM So I have done some research on athletes and going vegan and wanted to get some instant feedback from you all on here. What does everyone think? Are you vegan? How do you do it? I just started my journey today to try and go vegan and was pretty successful for the first day. I survived, this far. I know it will be tough, but wanted to get some insight from some of you folks on here and what everyone thinks..I want to gain some more energy throughout the day and have a more natural plant based diet. Im up for the challange and ready to give it a shot.

Just out of curiosity, why do you want to go vegan as opposed to just being a vegetarian?  (I'm not looking to pounce or judge, I'm just really curious why people make that choice).

My wife doesn't like the thought of eating dead muscle tissue.  Albeit cooked, it still freaks her out.  I get it but I can also get over it.  As to the cheese she said something to the effect of "bacteria and casein additives...and something else" I don't know.  I only eat artisan cheeses.   mmmmm goat Gouda 

2012-10-05 10:46 AM

User image

New user

I went vegeterian for about a year. Although I didn't have a sluggish or bloated feeling after having meals I had a hard time trying to get enough protein in my diet, it's also very difficult trying to plan meals for yourself as well as people that still eat meat.
2012-10-05 5:09 PM
in reply to: #4442234

User image

Extreme Veteran
Casa Grande, Az.
jforrestfit2 - 2012-10-05 9:46 AM I went vegeterian for about a year. Although I didn't have a sluggish or bloated feeling after having meals I had a hard time trying to get enough protein in my diet, it's also very difficult trying to plan meals for yourself as well as people that still eat meat.
How did you know you weren't getting enough protein?

2012-10-22 6:11 PM

User image

Ann Arbor

I've been vegan and doing well athletically for the past 17 or so years. 

The trick is to not let yourself get too hungry. That's when bad decisions are made. . 

2012-10-23 10:28 AM
in reply to: #4443080

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

todds - 2012-10-05 5:09 PM
jforrestfit2 - 2012-10-05 9:46 AM I went vegeterian for about a year. Although I didn't have a sluggish or bloated feeling after having meals I had a hard time trying to get enough protein in my diet, it's also very difficult trying to plan meals for yourself as well as people that still eat meat.

x2 curious on that question.

I find meals are much easier to plan without meat. Less prep and cook time, and less expensive. If a dining partner doesn't like what I make for dinner (or wants meat), they're on their own

2012-10-23 12:30 PM
in reply to: #4465215

Veteran
Look at www.MyFitnessPal.com      Not totally accurate but will get you close.

Edited by bhctri 2012-10-23 12:31 PM
2012-10-24 8:10 AM

User image

Ann Arbor

If you eat enough, I don't think you can not get enough protein.
2012-10-24 8:15 AM

User image

Ann Arbor

If you eat enough, I don't think you can not get enough protein.

2013-01-22 8:00 AM

Expert
Behind you

Watch the movie Forks over Knives.  You'll go vegan that second.  I did! 

If you eat different foods when going purely plant base, then you'll get enough protein.  If  your really concerned, then use TVP.

2013-01-25 1:26 PM

User image

New user
KY

As a long time vegetarian, I began reading about where our food really comes from and made some instant changes.  I adopted the vegan lifestyle on October 1 and never looked back.

Some initial benefits that I did not expect were a huge improvement with allergies and a disappearance of headaches.  It seems that most people are lactose intolerant to a degree, and you won't notice the side effects of dairy until you give it up completely.  My husband, who also began a mostly-vegan diet, had a huge improvement in G.I. issues and clearer skin.  And I've never heard of an easier way to lose belly fat:-)

I expected that turning vegan would be a challenge when it comes to choosing meal.  However, that has NOT been the case at all.  Both of us have had so much fun trying different vegan recipes and these meals are hearty, filling and delicious.  Vegetarian Times has tons of incredible recipes (I haven't had a bad one yet).

If you're serious about wanting to become vegan there is some wonderful literature out there.  Scott Jurek's book is a great read for athletes.  Skinny and The Lucky Ones (by Jenny Brown) are also fascinating books that you will not be able to put down.  Forks Over Knives is an interesting documentary.  Earthlings (narrated by Joaquin Phoenix) was extremely hard to watch, but if you're ready to know where our food comes from I highly recommend it.  Being a vegan is a no-brainer after watching it.

2013-01-25 1:27 PM

User image

New user
KY
Can't believe it edited out the name of one of the books I recommended.  Skinny B*&%$ by Rory Friedman, is what I was trying to say:-)
2013-01-25 1:28 PM

User image

New user
KY
Can't believe it edited out the name of one of the books I recommended.  Skinny B*&%$ by Rory Friedman, is what I was trying to say:-)
2013-02-18 8:09 AM

User image

My experience with vegan diet was pretty good.  The main issue i found is that attempting to replace the non-vegan foods with the vegan version is the wrong way to go.  My experience was that when I found a vegan recipe that said for example "chia chocolate pudding is so decadent and delicious", that comment was made because that person hadn't had any chocolate pudding in a long time!  Don't try and replace a cheeseburger because you cant. Approach it as if you are trying brand new types of food that you've never had before.  Good luck

2013-02-18 8:34 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wellesley, Massachusetts

My husband and I are headed to vegan. His mom bought me the book 'Crazy Sexy Kitchen' by Kris Carr. She is a well-known author and her cookbook is fantastic. I would peruse her website www.kriscarr.com to get a start.

Also, I found this neat website last night called The Vegan Coach. She addresses the concerns about proper nutrition, creates a vegan food pyramid and essentially gives good advice as she has been a vegan since 1994.  http://www.vegancoach.com/

Ialso found a resource on PETA's website that addresses eating out as a vegan. I travel a lot for work and found this to be immensely helpful. You can find the link through PETA or go to Happy Cow http://www.happycow.net/

2013-04-18 4:25 PM
in reply to: #4465215

New user
lisac957 - 2012-10-23 11:28 AM

todds - 2012-10-05 5:09 PM

x2 curious on that question.

I find meals are much easier to plan without meat. Less prep and cook time, and less expensive. If a dining partner doesn't like what I make for dinner (or wants meat), they're on their own

I ran into the not enough protein and I knew this because recovery after tough workouts was taking too long - muscle soreness and such.  My fix was adding more vegan foods that are protein dense to my diet.  Legumes, hemp seed, etc.  Works great and I am never going back to eating dead animals.

Funny thing is,after I got the protein sorted out I know feel my recovery times are rather short.  I do 2 intense workouts in one day (morning and evening) and the next morning come 5AM I am ready to go.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » going vegan Rss Feed