Superfrog Triathlons
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = 0/0
Age Group = F25-29
Age Group Rank = 0/0
Pre-race routine:

Due to a possible knee injury - or just swelling from overuse - this race was just the swim. I was already registered, my friends were going, and I wanted a weekend in San Diego!
Event warmup:

Played sherpa and tried to calm the nerves of my friends doing the whole race.
Swim
  • 33m 26s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 35s / 100 yards
Comments:

It was a somewhat disorganized start line, but as I lined up with the other red caps, I felt like I had a pretty good line straight to the buoy. They yelled "go!" and we were off!

The first buoy was basically just past the breakers. I did just fine getting out there, and when I popped up at the buoy - Chrissy was RIGHT next to me! I tried to stay on her feet for a bit, but lost her in the crowd headed to the second buoy. The turn was crowded, but afterwards it was fairly clear heading to the next buoy. I turned towards shore, and I found myself next to a CRAZY kicker. I couldn't breathe to the right side because of the wake behind his kicks. I focused on just hanging next to him, and lost him when he hit the breakers going in. I bodysurfed a few waves, and when my hand touched sand, I got up and headed towards the shore.

I made the turn to run on the sand back to the start, and was informed I was the third woman! I looked around for Chrissy but didn't see her.

I headed back into the waves, and it felt much more difficult the second time around. After navigitaing through the breakers - which seemed bigger - I hit another swim wave. There was lots of dodging and weaving, and it seemed more crowded than the first trip out. Again, and the turn to go parallel to shore, I found myself some space. I motored to the next buoy and turned to head in.

Somehow, I got stuck next to ANOTHER crazy kicker! This time on my left. I breathed to my right, and sighted to see some monstrous looking waves. I saw one behind me that looked massive, and decided to bodysurf it in. Well, I felt the wave pick me up, and I opened my eyes to see that I was on top of it! I cruised along for a while - it felt like I was teleported most of the way in... but I knew what was coming. I got slammed down from the top of the wave and tumbled a bunch underneath it. Finally, it let me go and I came up for air and found myself in yet another wave of people.

I swam in until my hand touched, and ran up out of the ocean, feeling fairly beat up - but I had fun and I had a GREAT swim.
What would you do differently?:

Tighten my goggles more, especially if I'm going to wear them under my cap.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Bike
  • 00m
  • 56 miles
  • 0.00 mile/hr
Transition 2
  • 00m
Run
  • 00m
  • 13.1 miles
  •  min/mile
Post race
Warm down:

Found Chrissy's bike still in T1 and waited for her. Handed in my timing chip, spectated, drank beer, cheered, and had fun.

Last updated: 2012-04-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:33:26 | 2112 yards | 01m 35s / 100yards
Age Group: 2/0
Overall: 7/0
Performance: Good
Suit: Blueseventy Fusion
Course: 350 meters out, past the breakers, 200 meters across, 350 meters back in, run 200 meters back to the start, and do the loop again!
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 68F / 20C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:00:00 | 56 miles | 0.00 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/0
Overall: 0/0
Performance:
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:00:00 | 13.1 miles |  min/mile
Age Group: 0/0
Overall: 0/0
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-10-02 10:09 AM

User image

Pro
Subject: SuperFrog Triathlon

2012-10-02 1:41 PM
in reply to: #4436714

User image

Master
Sunbury, Pennsylvania
Subject: RE: SuperFrog Triathlon
Wow, so I clicked this with the intention of asking whether you got to see/meet/photograph Lance. But you were in the mix with Chrissie? Excellent. I guess not focusing on iron distance this year doesn't mean no racing at all for her, and she wouldn't likely have done ths right up against Kona.

glad you had a good swim, especially with your screen name. Sorry about the injury, but I am inspired by those who don't call it all off and go do the part they can that day. As a result you got to swim with Chrissie and keep close. A bad day racing is still a good day, right?

Thanks for the RR!

2012-10-02 1:41 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Congrats on a great swim. I hope your knee issues get sorted out.
2012-10-03 3:12 PM

User image

Pro
To clarify, Chrissy is my friend... I wasn't talking about Chrissie Wellington.
2012-10-03 3:43 PM
in reply to: #4439400

User image

Master
Sunbury, Pennsylvania

ratherbeswimming - 2012-10-03 4:12 PM To clarify, Chrissy is my friend... I wasn't talking about Chrissie Wellington.

OOOhhhhh, sorry about that. Went with the first-name-celebrity status in tri world. I was impressed you beat her out of the water. 

Well nonetheless sounds like a great time, salvaged and all. And my misunderstanding reminds me of a Dane Cook routine I liked (a rare moment) about investing time in friendships rather than cheering for celebrities. Why make a sign to take to a football game? Stand outside your friend's workplace with a "Go Bill!" sign. Something like that. 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » SuperFrog Triathlon Rss Feed