General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Is illegal bike drafting becoming more common? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2012-10-03 2:17 PM
in reply to: #4438871

User image

Subject: RE: Is illegal bike drafting becoming more common?

gsmacleod - 2012-10-03 6:29 AM
eggraid101 - 2012-10-03 12:44 PM I've never really understood why drafting is illegal. I know, it's to keep it individual, but it just always seemed silly to me.
In addition to the individual aspect, there are a few other issues that come into play: 1) We allow TT bikes which are a terrible idea in group riding 2) We don't evaluate bike handling skills 3) Race directors don't want to lap people out Shane

x2

But could you imagine if it was legal.  You'd have groups of total strangers cursing each other out because they aren't taking their fair share of work.  I mean...it already happens with bike racing...and they know each other.

2012-10-03 7:40 PM
in reply to: #4437339

User image

Veteran
Taoyuan, Taiwan

Minor off topic addition.  First just let me say I really enjoy the ITU races, and the only Triathlon I have done so far was with ITU rules (Which I didn't actually know until the race started and I saw huge teams of bikers flying past me...)  Anyway, a friend of my just wrote this article for TriMagAsia and it might help explain some of the challenges that come with draft legal racing.

While I have never actually done a WTC race, I think both styles of racing have their place.

http://www.trimagasia.com/2012-09-30-10-25-08/the-fix/47-sitting-pretty

2012-10-03 7:54 PM

User image

Master
University Park, MD

I honestly don't get why AGers would want to cheat in this way. I guess it's cheaper than doping, but I don't see the attraction either way. What are they trying to prove. Fortunately, I'm a sufficiently poor swimmer that I've almost never witnessed this in a race. And I like to do hillier events where it's harder to draft.

But I wonder if development of camera technology might help to address the problem in coming years. With sufficiently small video cameras - bike or helmet-mounted - shouldn't it be possible to record blatant violations. How about if instead of obvious rules officials patrolling the course, RDs had some 'plain clothes' monitors who participate as competitors and can record violations; or simply encourage athletes to record blatant violations with video evidence. Still photos wouldn't be enough to make the case.

2012-10-04 7:54 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Greenwood, South Carolina
I think the race has a lot to do with it.  Almost all of the riders could have been busted for drafting early in the Augusta race with 3,335 people.  It was hard not to be directly behind someone with that many people in a solid line of bikes going down the road for miles.   After a few miles people did start to spread out but there was some obvious drafting.  I did see a couple of guys drafting for long periods of time and did get busted by a judge.   
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Is illegal bike drafting becoming more common? Rss Feed  

of 2