General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Pulled hamstring before HIM... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-10-02 6:53 PM

User image

Dallas
Subject: Pulled hamstring before HIM...
So I have my first half ironman in less than a month and I pulled my hamstring pretty bad this past Friday. I haven't been able to get out and do my long rides/runs the previous two weekends prior to my injury because of bad weather.

My question is how much am I losing over because of this? If two weeks ago I was confident in my preparation and fitness, will I be alright for my race? I'm resting the remainder of the week and will start training up again on Monday as long a my hamstring is alight (I will be swimming in the meantime).

Thanks for the input in advance!

2012-10-02 6:59 PM
in reply to: #4437829

Veteran
Niagara Region
Subject: RE: Pulled hamstring before HIM...
I had a major hang string issue when I played soccer, for some reason my hamstring would just lock up after an hour or so into my game PAINFUL and it would side line me. I'd feel better and wham something. Here is what fixed it. VITAMIN C, I'm not kidding I was look for stretches on line for my hamstring and came across a website that said if I was warmed up and it pulled I needed more vitamin C. So now when I do sports I take vitamin c normally 4 of the chew tabs I think it's about 2000 iu. I have Never had it happen again in 12 years. So give it a try vitamin c won't hurt U. Cheers and good luck.
2012-10-02 7:16 PM

Expert

If your base fitness is good you won't lose too much if any.  Important thing is to give the hamstring enough rest and don't re-injure it.  If you can run on it, then don't over stride (keep the speed down).  If its sore (painful) about an hour after a run then it hasn't healed.  Start back into running with short runs, you're too close to the race to risk a occurrence.

2012-10-03 8:49 AM
in reply to: #4437862

User image

vonschnapps - 2012-10-02 7:16 PM

If your base fitness is good you won't lose too much if any.  Important thing is to give the hamstring enough rest and don't re-injure it.  If you can run on it, then don't over stride (keep the speed down).  If its sore (painful) about an hour after a run then it hasn't healed.  Start back into running with short runs, you're too close to the race to risk a occurrence.

X2.

And you might consider kinesiology tape.  I use it on an injured adductor.  (The cow pattern tape in my last race raised some eyebrows.)  But it's helping me. Make sure you have it put on by a professional.

Edited by ironultrared 2012-10-03 8:50 AM
2012-10-03 9:15 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Pulled hamstring before HIM... Rss Feed