3 Disciplines Racing
60F / 16C
Overcast
Total Time = 3h 03m 44s
Overall Rank = 5/66
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 1/2
Pre-race routine:

Slept like crap. There is really not much more to say. I hate staying in hotel beds. I woke up to the alarm at 5:20 and started getting moving/things packed up. We woke the kid up and headed down to the lobby for the free breakfast. They had fresh oatmeal so I didn't have to use the stuff I had brought. Ate that with half a blueberry muffin as well. Headed to the race site and got unloaded and my transition all setup.
Event warmup:

I decided to run about a half a mile about 30 minutes or so before it was going to start and then I threw the wetsuit on and headed to the lake. Got in and the water was colder than I thought it would be. Wasn't a big deal though. Swam about 400 yards I think and thought that was good. They didn't get the race started on time due to the EMT's not showing up. We had to wait 30 minutes before they finally got there to get things rolling.
Swim
  • 20m 52s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 16s / 100 yards
Comments:

I went out really well. I was leading for the first 150-200 meters but there were a few guys that passed me after that. Felt like I was able to hold my pace fairly well the entire swim. On the second lap though as I breathed to my left I saw a purple cap. The woman had the purple caps! She was flying. They started them 30 seconds or so after then men went. So she had to fight through all the men and catch up to us lead guys as well. She ended up having the fastest swim split overall. You go girl! I think they had the course distance off quite a bit though. My 910 garmin buzzed at me before I got to the last turn telling me I had hit a mile and I still had a couple hundred yards to go. My guess is they were long. Others I talked to said the same thing as well.
What would you do differently?:

Just more practice. Swimming is kinda plataued for me right now. I am really going to push it this winter and try and get back to where I was at speed wise in my high school days. I'm already always in the top for swimming but, why not get faster I say!
Transition 1
  • 01m 49s
Comments:

Was a long ass run up the beach to transition. I knew the stupid bulky timing chip they used was going to be an issue with a wetsuit I just knew it the moment I saw how far they stuck out. I need to practice getting my wetsuit off more though. This was the first race I ever have worn it too as well so it was a learning experience to say the least. My guess is screwing with my left ankle cost me a good 10 seconds if not more.

Practice. With more time in this sport the kinks will work their way out.
Bike
  • 1h 54m 23s
  • 42 miles
  • 22.03 mile/hr
Comments:

I liked the course. I got up to speed pretty quick I thought and then had one big issue that pissed me off for the rest of the race sorta. I cought up to the guy ahead of me within about 4 miles I'd say. I passed him fairly easy and after the next turn I notice that he was still behind me. Not far behind like a bike and a half back and drafting behind...This went on for about 10 miles all through the straight away section of the bike. I was just finally getting ready to say something when another guy who had cought us yelled at him "I didn't know this was a draft legal race a-hole" he said some other stuff but, I couldn't make it out. As he was passing me he said "you know you have a leach back there?!?" I told him yeah but, that he wouldn't back off or pass and I wasn't going to kill myself trying to lose him. So once he was past me draft guy decided it was time to leave me and leach onto him. What an ass! I have no problem saying his name on here and hope maybe he's a member.. Louis Probst drafter/cheater extroardinare. Just once of those races where you wish there would have been one marshall out there but, sadly I didn't see a single person in stripes...must have something to do with the NFL lockout..

So back to my race! I ate a couple powerbar gels on the bike. In hindsight I should have had at least one more even two possibly I think. I was getting tired the last 8 miles of the course and knew I probably should have downed one there but, I was scared I might have Gi issues on the run. Overall I was the fastest I have ever went on the bike. My lovely wife got me an Aero helmet two days before the race and I was able to wear it. I think it helped out enough to notice a difference.

Not much. Just need more TITS.
Transition 2
  • 00m 45s
Comments:

I really need to work on the whole dismounting faster thing a lot more. I could probably cut a few seconds if I did. Overall though it went pretty smoothly. Got the shoes on somewhat fast.

Not a lot just practice bring my leg over the bar on bike when getting ready to jump off.
Run
  • 45m 58s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 07m 24s  min/mile
Comments:

God I died/bonked I think. I am pretty sure it was border line bonking. I know most people will look at my run time and go what is he talking about 7:24 is good! Well for me it's not! I was hoping to go around 6:50ish or so. I knew the first quater mile though it wasn't going to be pretty. I just didn't have anything left in my legs. I don't think I was trained as well as I needed to be coming into this event. I hadn't gone 30+ miles in one go on the bike for well over a month coming into this. My fault really but, after they cancled my HIM this year I got depressed/didn't have the drive to go as hard. Really was dissapointed though with my run performance. I can go much faster than this and will prove it in the future. You live and learn I guess. I did pass one of the guys who got me on the bike though within a mile and ended up passing a woman who was doing the relay. Didn't get passed by anyone which was good. Think I could have pushed it some more towards the end possibly but, the legs were really doing some wierd cramping stuff up high and I had a longggggg drive home. Finished strong though and waved to the wife and my boy before crossing the line. Love their constant support!

Train more. Also eat more on the bike. Think that had a little to do with it as well since I didn't have a lot of energy. I did eat one powerbar gel on the run and it didn't bother my stomach at all. I think I like them more than gu's now. They go down a lot easier.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around and did some stretching. I always get an upset stomach after my tri's. Not sure what I can do to combat that because I will fight it for an hour or two after it's done.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Training for the most part. I was very happy on how I placed overall though but, with the right training I possibly could have gotten third overall. Who knows. I had fun and, thats what counts.

Event comments:

3D is a tri company that travels around the midwest region/great lakes area putting on tri's. They have a pretty sweet setup I thought and put on a good race. They had a whole basketball team from SIU that didn't show up to help volunteer so that hurt them but, they were able to pull it off. I would do the race again but, not sure when though. It was a long 5.5 hour drive home and straight to bed to wake up at 3 am. 5 hours of sleep sucks after doing a 50 mile race!

Last updated: 2012-09-19 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:20:52 | 1640 yards | 01m 16s / 100yards
Age Group: 1/2
Overall: 5/66
Performance: Good
Suit: Xterra sleeveless
Course: Kind of a diamond shape. Start in the water and did two loops and head straight back towards shore.
Start type: Wade Plus: Shot
Water temp: 68F / 20C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:49
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:54:23 | 42 miles | 22.03 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/2
Overall: 12/66
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Big 21 mile loop around Rend Lake State Park area. Pretty nice roads and some good long flats as well. Quite a few rollers in there too. Overall I thought it was an excellent course. Was about a 1/2 mile section of road though that needs serious attention and TLC.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 95
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:45
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:45:58 | 06.21 miles | 07m 24s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/2
Overall: 8/66
Performance: Below average
Course: Out and back on a cement trail through the woods/campground areas. Pretty nice really. Some moderate stretches of hills in there as well but nothing too scary.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? No