General Discussion Race Reports! » The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror 10-Miler Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror 10-Miler - Run10 Mile

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Orlando, Florida
United States
Disney Wide World of Sports
82F / 28C
Total Time = 1h 14m 6s
Overall Rank = 52/8721
Age Group = M30-34
Age Group Rank = 9/477
Pre-race routine:

The wife and I planned this trip knowing the summer would be a busy one for both of us, so it would be good to have some time to relax and still be able to do a race. We went down the previous Saturday, so the week before the race was filled with walking around the parks all day. I'm sure that didn't help my performance in the race, I was feeling pretty beat up by the time it rolled around, but it sure was fun! We stayed at the Beach Club Villas on rented DVC points, and I gotta say that hotel is awesome! Great location, places to run, and an incredible pool! We got the packet pickup for the race out of the way early on Friday. Saturday we spent most of the day at the parks, had an early dinner, and went back to the hotel to rest for a while before the 10 PM start. I tried to focus on hydration throughout the day because it was a very hot and humid day. We decided to walk to Hollywood Studios from the hotel since it was only about a mile and it would allow us to have less of a wait at the start rather than using the event transportation. Once we got there we saw the massive lines for the portajohns near the corrals in the parking lot, and decided to walk all the way over to the park to use the bathroom. After that just waited around for the walkout from the corrals to the start line. I had to leave the start shute to use the portajohn one more time right before the start, so I was stuck all the way in the back of the A corral runners. Oh well, might be a little traffic.
Event warmup:

Pretty much just walking to the start from the hotel...
Run
  • 1h 14m 6s
  • 10 miles
  • 07m 25s  min/mile
Comments:

At the start I had to use the grass along the side of the road to work through traffic, but it was flat and mowed so it wasn't too bad. Things finally thinned out a bit about 1.5 miles in, but it was hot and given it was at night it was also very humid. I'm from the upper midwest, and it's been cool up here for more than a month, so I wasn't well acclimitized to the heat and humidity. That really made this run tough. I think the weather might be a little better if the race was a little closer to Halloween. I carried a bottle and it was a good thing too, the aid stations were spaced a little far apart for my liking. I know it's only 10 miles but in that humidity I (and most people) were sweating a ton. The course was cool and the volunteers and spectators were great, especially through the ESPN WWOS complex. The last 3 miles were pretty brutal for me to maintain pace, but the last mile through the park was awesome and made it worth the effort!
What would you do differently?:

The race was three weeks after the IM Wisconsin and a week before I'm doing the Chicago Marathon, so I wasn't expecting much. The goal was to not get injured, and mission accomplished! I was a little disappointed with how slow I ran though, but the conditions were tough for me.
Post race
Warm down:

Wlaked around, drank a ton of water and sport drink, changed clothes then rode Rockin Roller Coaster, Star Tours, and Toy Story Midway Mania (5 times!) with no wait while my wife was finishig up (she's a walker). Headed back to the hotel around 2 AM after the wife and I rode a few things and had some food.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Heat and humidity, and walking around parks all day for a week. An ironamn three weeks prior probably didn't help either.

Event comments:

This was a lot of fun, hopefully it sticks around this time. I would definitely do it again in the future!

Last updated: 2012-07-06 12:00 AM
Running
01:14:06 | 10 miles | 07m 25s  min/mile
Age Group: 9/477
Overall: 52/8721
Performance: Average
Course: Out and back on the parkway to the Animal Kingdom, followed by some trail running and a loop through the ESPN WWOS complex. That included running around the warning track of Champion Stadium which was pretty cool. Last mile or so was through Hollywood Studios leading to the finish line at the Tower of Terror.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-10-03 9:53 AM

User image

Regular
Waterloo
Subject: The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror 10-Miler

2012-10-03 11:42 AM
in reply to: #4438584

Subject: RE: The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror 10-Miler

I think a lot of people got dehydrated.  My wife was waiting for me at the finish and she said that she saw a lot of vomiting.  A couple people "lost it" on the bus back to the resort too.  Folks on the Facebook group I'm in were asking why Rockin' Rollercoaster kept shutting down, somebody said that they had to stop and clean it due to people getting sick.

In the weeks leading up to the race, our humidity was in the teens and single digits.  I knew it would be hot and humid so I ran with a Camelbak, I still drank at the stops.  I couldn't cool down until I dumped water on my head.  Holy cow, you don't know how you'll react to the conditions until you do it. 

People in my FB group were complaining about the lack of characters compared to other Disney races, but I thought it was fine.  Everybody also came up with a longer distance (myself included).  My Garmin showed 10.25mi at the end. 

2012-10-03 12:56 PM

User image

Master
Sunbury, Pennsylvania

I don't know what to envy most. Your time, the fact that you were running in Disney, or that you got on Toy Story Mania 5 times! 

Rundisney may be pricey, but it delivers. Thanks for the RR. 

2012-10-03 6:15 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Slow for you is still pretty dang good Smile Congratulations and good luck at Chicago.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror 10-Miler Rss Feed