General Discussion Race Reports! » Dad's Day 5K Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Dad's Day 5K - Run5k

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Frisco, Texas
United States
Urology Research & Education Foundation (UREF)
85F / 29C
Overcast
Total Time = 21m 11s
Overall Rank = 48/569
Age Group = M 25-29
Age Group Rank = 7/19
Pre-race routine:

The usual. Showered and shaved. Ate an Oatmeal Raisin Clif bar. Just drank a little bit of water. Didn't want the usual red Powerade sloshing around. Figured it was such a short race that not taking in a Powerade wouldn't really matter.

Got the boys up and dressed (as well as the in-laws), loaded up the stroller and two chairs and we were off. Drew was cracking me up. He was so excited to do his first race (they had a kids 50 yard dash before the 5K). He was even talking trash, saying that since I had on black shorts he would win (his were red). Is he brainwashed or what?

Got to the soccer field about 7:20. Drew's race started at 7:45. Found my chip and took a quick bathroom break.
Event warmup:

Did a little stretching while waiting for Drew's race. This was a hoot. There were probably 100 kids doing this. They lined them all up (with or without Dad or Mom) and sent them in waves of 7 or 8 to the 5K finish line. Next wave didn't start until the previous wave was all finished and had received their medals. That was a good idea, except that it took forever. Didn't really get a chance to warm up or stretch for the actual race. Oh well, this race wasn't about me anyway.

Right before our wave started, Drew decides that he wanted us to hold hands and run together. Fine by me. He was a little nervous with all the kids and the crowd watching. Our wave takes off. We get about halfway and Drew just stops. The competitor in me couldn't believe it. But then I look down and see his pants are about to fall down. As soon as we get them pulled up he says, "I'm going to beat you to the finish line." He was laughing his head off the last 10 yards.

Got to the finish line and he was very excited to get a medal around his neck. He was one of the last ones in his wave to finish in his wave, but we Watson's are built for endurance, not speed. He was just hitting his stride when he crossed the finish line...but I digress.

Got a few pictures with him and his medal, then it was time to get into the starting chute. Tried to find a spot in the front 1/3 so there would be less traffic to dodge (walkers, slower runners, and baby strollers). Tried to do a little more light stretching but it was too crowded. Oh well.
Run
  • 21m 11s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 06m 49s  min/mile
Comments:

The first mile was fast but annoying. Not 200 yards into the race, there was a truck (one of those oversized golf cart thingies) in the way. With the crowd ahead it was hard to see until you were about 5 yards away. Then another 100 yards up was another truck. Then another 50 yards up one of the gates was sticking out 10 feet. Unacceptable. Time for the first mile was 6:12. Very hot. Too hot. Knew I should back it off, but I figured I'd use the tailwind while I had it.

Made it to the turnaround at 9:48. Whoa, I think. Can I got sub-20? That's when the wind hits me right in the face. Constant 20mph headwind for the next mile. It was so hard that it blew over the 2 mile marker. I missed it so I don't have my split for the second mile. Probably about 7 minutes.

Saw the 1 mile marker on my way back it. Decided to shut things down a little bit. The wind was killing me, which is kind of ironic. We noticed how hard it was blowing on the way to the race, and I said a hard wind didn't really affect you on a run like it would on a ride. That'll teach me I guess. It ate my lunch.

Started doing a lot of watch-looking towards the end, figuring out how hard I needed to keep going to still get a PR. I knew sub-21 wasn't happening, but I had a chance to get close. Made the final turn and decided not to sprint it. "It's a C race," I thought. "Save it." Let a couple of people pass me at the end. No biggie. I was still happy. I had a new PR (post high school anyway) by over 40 seconds!
What would you do differently?:

Taken more time to stretch and warm up properly if it were a serious race. I still PRd.
Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed a water and walked with Drew to the last turn to see Shannon come in to finish.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

No desire to go faster, but the wind was a killer and having to dodge more than slow runners in the first mile really sucked.

Event comments:

This race would be a 5 if not for the 3 obstacles in the first mile. Not going to fault them for the wind, but sheesh. Make sure everybody knows that the race is starting so they can clear the course. The course was as expected, flat and fast. And the kids loved it. That's who this race is for anyway.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2006-04-26 12:00 AM
Running
00:21:11 | 03.11 miles | 06m 49s  min/mile
Age Group: 7/19
Overall: 48/569
Performance: Good
Mile 1 - 6:12 Mile 2 sign was blown down. Didn't bother hitting the split button at the 3 mile mark. No point really with no 2 mile split.
Course: Fairly flat reverse-J out and back around the soccer fields. Could have been a really easy course without the wind.
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too easy
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-06-19 7:01 AM

User image

Master
McKinney, TX
Subject: Dad's Day 5K

2006-06-20 8:13 PM
in reply to: #458349

User image

Master
Frisco, Texas
Subject: RE: Dad's Day 5K

Way to go!  A PR!  It won't be long and you'll do that sub-20.  That's a fast time...I can't imagine running that fast.

TJ

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Dad's Day 5K Rss Feed