General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Question for you Newton folks....stability? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-10-03 7:15 PM

User image

Expert
Fernandina Beach, FL
Subject: Question for you Newton folks....stability?

Is it worth the switch? I train in a pair of Saucony Pro Grid Hurricanes and race in a pair of Muzino musha's. Lately I've been doing most of my running in my Muzino's to insure that they'd be enough shoe to get through the 13.1 of my HIM in a couple weeks. My Muzino's aren't meant to last a ton of miles and after running with them for a couple weeks my Sauconys feel like weights on my feet. I had contemplated Newtons before but now seriously need a lighter pair of trainers/distance shoes for my marathon in a few months.

Is the transition a pain?

I slightly over pronate and am looking at the motion stability trainer. Thoughts?

Thanks for any advice

2012-10-03 7:39 PM
in reply to: #4439789

Subject: RE: Question for you Newton folks....stability?
go with the saucony kinvara 3 If you're looking for a lighter weight trainer. I think the transition from a support shoe like that to a minimalist shoe could cause issues.
2012-10-03 7:46 PM

User image

Aurora , Illinois
I was running int the Adidas Supernova Sequence 4, a very stability minded shoe and moved to the Newton Motion shoes.  Took me 3 or 4 weeks of very low milage in the Newtons, but was still logging mileage in the adidas, but i feel the change was worth it.  Love the Newtons, just run short runs at first if you switch.
2012-10-03 8:37 PM
in reply to: #4439815

User image

Veteran
Plaquemine, Louisiana

toddaduran - 2012-10-03 7:46 PM I was running int the Adidas Supernova Sequence 4, a very stability minded shoe and moved to the Newton Motion shoes.  Took me 3 or 4 weeks of very low milage in the Newtons, but was still logging mileage in the adidas, but i feel the change was worth it.  Love the Newtons, just run short runs at first if you switch.

2nd this. I ran in Saucony Progrid Guides before my newtons and I had to ease into running in the Newtons. I still run in both shoes and I have no problems.

2012-10-03 9:45 PM

User image

Expert
Hammond
I also need a mild stability shoe. I switched to the Newton Distance U and love them. I didn't find the switch hard at all, although I will say I walk barefoot a ton of e time. Because of that the Newton rep told me I could start running in them immediately (he also evaluated my calf stability and strength). I did and haven't looked back. I was running in a pearl Izumi stability shoe which I also still like but it's like running with bricks on compared to my Newtons. I am so glad I switched to the Newtons.

2012-10-03 11:09 PM

User image

Veteran
Panama City, FL
Look at the SIR ISAACS . They are a full (normal looking ) shoe that is meant to aid this transition. If you are Mid to forefoot striker already, not a Huge transition. Lots of good information on newton site.

2012-10-03 11:12 PM

User image

Veteran
Panama City, FL
Not every newton version is a minimalist shoe.
2012-10-04 4:56 AM

Veteran
Niagara Region
The sir Isaac looks like a full shoe but its drop is 4.5 mil vs 3 for the gravity. The one thing is do you mid foot strike. If you heal strike these are not going to work. I'm assuming you are a mid or forefoot striker. I will be using my newtons for my half marathon, in a couple of weeks. I can't run in my old saucney shoes anymore.
2012-10-04 5:37 AM

I tried to move from a asics nimbus 13 to the newton distance s. of course I read the box and it said to take it easy and start slow with the shoes. The first thing I noticed was calf soreness and a lot of it. That didn't stop me and I was enjoying the light weight. However, after about two weeks of only running in the newtons, I developed a stress fracture in my left foot. That put me out of running for about 9 weeks. I am now back to running and rotating my shoes between, brooks pure cadence, asics nimbus and the newton for speed work. I want to be able to wear the newton, just nervous about my foot.
2012-10-04 8:13 AM
in reply to: #4440089

User image

Veteran
Panama City, FL

berndog - 2012-10-04 4:56 AM The sir Isaac looks like a full shoe but its drop is 4.5 mil vs 3 for the gravity. The one thing is do you mid foot strike. If you heal strike these are not going to work. I'm assuming you are a mid or forefoot striker. I will be using my newtons for my half marathon, in a couple of weeks. I can't run in my old saucney shoes anymore.

I am not a heelstriker. You are correct. They look like a "full" normal shoe and for those making the transition, they pretty much are, but mininal drop promotes mid/forefoot running adn that's what I do anyway. Really enjoying the shoes so far.

2012-10-04 8:26 AM

User image

Regular
Madison

This close to a race, I wouldn't make any changes or a big switch like going over to Newton's. It's a new type of running and sensation you'll get in your lower body. You need low mileage on them at first, like first starting out running all over again, then build back up to using them daily. If I were you, I'd wait until your season 'ends' and then make a transition to them if that's your plan. However, Newtons are heavy. I have the stability trainers and the lightweight neutral distance. The stability shoes are pretty heavy. I've never really felt fast in them. The lightweight neutrals are pretty light, but I'd say are still middle of the road when it comes to weight. Especially if you've run in Mushas. I'd say my Lightweight Neutrals are the same weight on my feet as my Brooks ST Racer 5s, but most of the weight is loaded up under the forefoot, with nothing in the heel. That being said, if you're a heel-toe runner, be ready for a big change as well. If you aren't a fore/midfoot striker yet, you will be quickly. There's nothing in the heels of the Newton's, and you'll know it when you feel it. They are wonderful shoes, but take your time.

As far as the transition being a pain... no, not really. Like others said, switch between shoes. Do your short runs in the Newtons and long ones in your bread and butters. You'll feel for yourself how to make the switch after a week or two.

2012-10-04 8:44 AM

User image

Master
Fulton, MD
The Distance S is a stability trainer / racer (S = stability).  I've run in stability shoes for years, but switched over to the straight Newton Distance, a neutral shoe, and loved them.  They take some getting used to, but it's helped me a lot. 
2012-10-04 8:48 AM
in reply to: #4440272

User image

Veteran
Panama City, FL
djrigby9 - 2012-10-04 8:26 AM

This close to a race, I wouldn't make any changes or a big switch like going over to Newton's. It's a new type of running and sensation you'll get in your lower body. You need low mileage on them at first, like first starting out running all over again, then build back up to using them daily. If I were you, I'd wait until your season 'ends' and then make a transition to them if that's your plan. However, Newtons are heavy. I have the stability trainers and the lightweight neutral distance. The stability shoes are pretty heavy. I've never really felt fast in them. The lightweight neutrals are pretty light, but I'd say are still middle of the road when it comes to weight. Especially if you've run in Mushas. I'd say my Lightweight Neutrals are the same weight on my feet as my Brooks ST Racer 5s, but most of the weight is loaded up under the forefoot, with nothing in the heel. That being said, if you're a heel-toe runner, be ready for a big change as well. If you aren't a fore/midfoot striker yet, you will be quickly. There's nothing in the heels of the Newton's, and you'll know it when you feel it. They are wonderful shoes, but take your time.

As far as the transition being a pain... no, not really. Like others said, switch between shoes. Do your short runs in the Newtons and long ones in your bread and butters. You'll feel for yourself how to make the switch after a week or two.

Good advice.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Question for you Newton folks....stability? Rss Feed