Wineglass Marathon
45F / 7C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 55m 41s
Overall Rank = 369/1488
Age Group = F40-44
Age Group Rank = 27/159
Pre-race routine:

Got up shortly after 5. Had PB bagel and a banana plus caffeinated Crystal Lite drink. left pretty close to 6. Was parked in parking garage by 6:40. Time for a quick much needed porta potty stop and was in line for the shuttle by ~6:45. I waited and waited and waited while having a nice chat with the guy in the line behind me. Finally they cleared the last of the marathoners and had 2 buses left of half folks to go. They put us on the bus, but didn't tell the bus drivers that they had changed procedure and that we were all going to the half. We passed off the Campbell exit and were about a mile from the Savona exit when the guy in the front seat said, "You are getting off here right?" She said, "No, I'm going to Bath." At which point the whole bus went "NO!!" She got it figured out and dropped us off right at the porta potties. No waiting in line there because everybody else was at the start line. Luckily I had not been planning to check a bag. It was probably a quarter mile to the start line. I got there and was going a mile a minute explaining what had happened to Dave B. He settled me down and told me to go get in my spot. I found my way back to near the 2 hour pace group, dropped my throw away stuff, and the gun went off within a minute! I did have 3 shot blocks and a bottle of water on the bus.
Event warmup:

None other than hustling from the bus to the porta potty to the start!
Run
  • 1h 55m 41s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 50s  min/mile
Comments:

I was really pleased with this run!! I had intended to go with the 2 hour pace group, but in the hurried start, I ended up ahead of them. I felt good so I just went with it. My Garmin quit tracking distance at about halfway, but was still keeping time. I felt pretty good the whole way. I did 2 gels: one at 5 and one ~10 (somewhere on bike path). I passed a bunch of people toward the end (it was a little annoying dodging around people on the bike path). The finish down Market St was fun. The guy next to me and I decided to pick it up. We were trying to encourage others to come with us. Good run!!
What would you do differently?:

Find myself a ride to the start or come REALLY early to the shuttle.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around, got some food, talked to a bunch of people. Tried to remember to stretch some...

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Training - I'm not in quite as good of shape as fall of 2010, but this showed that I was a lot closer than I thought I was. Also, I didn't taper for this as I was running it as part of marathon training.

Event comments:

There is something to said for home field advantage. It was nice not to have any surprises and to know exactly what to expect. It was a great confidence booster to run this well here. It wasn't a PR, but was at least 5 minutes faster than I was expecting to go. It felt really good!! Oh and Dave B won overall, so that was cool too.

Last updated: 2012-09-24 12:00 AM
Running
01:55:41 | 13.1 miles | 08m 50s  min/mile
Age Group: 27/159
Overall: 369/1488
Performance: Good
Garmin went crazy so I only have 6 splits: 9:08, 8:58, 8:58, 8:53, 8:57, 8:48
Course: Starts at Campbell-Savona High School, turns by the helicopter in Campbell, up a small hill, around the corner past the cows, into Coopers Plains, along Victory Hwy, into Clute Park, winds over to the RR tracks, then back to bike path. Then to Reynolds to Buffalo down the street by the school and along Cayuta til it cuts across Pultney by the liquor store. Down to Bridge St, over Bridge to the finish on Market St.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2012-10-04 12:51 PM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Wineglass Half Marathon

2012-10-12 3:05 PM
in reply to: #4440816

User image

Veteran
Fairfax, VA
Subject: RE: Wineglass Half Marathon

Great job!  Yeah, at the Marathon start the buses were coming in awfully late as well.  I was heading to the start line about 10 min before the start and people were just then getting off the bus.  And the lines for the porta-potties were pretty long.  I bet a lot of them just let the gun go and started after that. 

I was lucky because I got a ride up there from my Dad and didn't have to worry about the whole bus scene...

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Wineglass Half Marathon Rss Feed