United States
45F / 7C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 40m 8s
Overall Rank = 8/119
Age Group = M 31-40
Age Group Rank = 2/12
Pre-race routine:

Drove up to Yankton with Randy, Diane, and Chad. Chad and I were doing the 1/2, Randy the 5K, and Diane the full. Meeting up with Mike S, Nick and his family and staying at Nick's family cabin. Breakfast of Yogurt, Banana, power bar and some PB Crackers.
Event warmup:

Light stretching and jogging. Couple of stride outs too.
Run
  • 1h 40m 8s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 07m 38s  min/mile
Comments:

This was my first Half Marathon. I did not feel like I had put in enough training since I was battling various leg pains all winter. I did get in a couple of long runs the weeks leading up to Yankton but I know I will need to put more hay in the barn next time.

The day was cool. Everything was outdoors, including the covered shelter that was used as the RD's station. I had a long sleeve shirt on, stocking cap, running gloves and my music. My plan was to go in the 8:00 / mile range and see how it felt. Mile split 1 was 7:15. I stayed at this pace for a while. Worked my way to the front of the group and stayed there for a while. Couple of guys took off and finished about 20 minutes ahead of me. I ended up running side by side with Mary, a 23 year old hottie, attending USD's Law school. We chatted back and forth a bit but our pace was not a talking pace. If I would get a little burst she would come with me and vice versa. Things were fine through downtown and then I got to the top of the hill, at about mile 3. Wow, that is a long down hill to the valley. We have to come back up this thing??

Smooth pace all the way to the turn around. Was able to pull off my hat and gloves and kept the long sleeve on. The most intimidating thing about this run was that you could see "The Hill" from about 2 miles away. By the time I got to it we were catching the Marathoners on their first loop and a ton of them were walking up this hill. Felt good to cheer them on as I was running past.

Mary left me on the hill. No big deal though. I looked back and there was noone coming at me wearing the 1/2 Marathon Green number.

Got to the top of the hill, filled up on some H2O and made my way back throug downtown. The trail down to the river front was steep and winding. If someone was really tired and struggling I could see them falling...

Saw the finish line and gave it everything I got. Final pace of 7:38 and I was happy about that.
What would you do differently?:

Stay healthy so I could get more miles in pre-race.
Post race
Warm down:

Stretched and enjoyed post race meal (pizza, bananas, etc.)

Event comments:

It's a small race that does not cost too much. Maybe $40 with a nice t-shirt. With it only being 60 miles away, I could skip the overnight stay and drive up in the morning too.

If the schedule works out, I will do this one again.

Last updated: 2012-10-05 12:00 AM
Running
01:40:08 | 13.1 miles | 07m 38s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/12
Overall: 8/119
Performance: Good
Course: Mostly flat with one small hill from the Missouri to downtown and one GIGANTIC hill about mile 3 going down hill and mile 10 going back.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes