Piranha Sports
86F / 30C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 56m 39s
Overall Rank = 140/200
Age Group = F25-29
Age Group Rank = 7/12
Pre-race routine:

My parents live close to the event so I woke up at 5:30, ate a bagel with peanut butter and agave, had a little OJ. Laid everything out the night before so I could relax morning of.
Event warmup:

Attended swim clinic the day before. Water was very choppy because of boat traffic and an approaching storm. We were also forewarned of tree limbs that were being removed from race area of water. I was expecting tough swim conditions on race morning. Arrived race morning with just enough time to get everything done and wait in line for bathroom, with about 10 minutes to spare. Worked better for my nerves not to be standing around for an hour like with my first tri.
Swim
  • 19m 56s
  • 820 yards
  • 02m 26s / 100 yards
Comments:

I was very nervous about this event leading up to the race. I had mysteriously injured my clavicle/shoulder area the week before the race, which prevented me from doing any training leading up to the race. Took ibruprofen before the race. After storm the night before, water turned out to be smooth as glass! Thanks to advice from swim clinic, I counted to 5 after the gun went off to not be caught in the midst of the kicking-punching storm. I occasionally switched to side stroke to sight and give my injured side a break, which worked wonderfully for me. Found myself passing people in the wave ahead of me, which was a real motivator.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing, I was much better prepared for this swim than with my first triathlon and felt I did great! Didn't let my shoulder slow me down!
Transition 1
  • 02m 4s
Comments:

Since this was my first year as a triathlete, I raced on a hybrid bike with no modifications and wore my running shoes (no toe clips). Happy with T1 time.

Next year I'll switch to bike shoes, but I probably still won't jump on bike or run barefoot, not sure I'll get it down much further.
Bike
  • 1h 06m 9s
  • 15.6 miles
  • 14.15 mile/hr
Comments:

This is my weakest sport. I don't train nearly often enough. I got passed a lot, which I expected, but I was happy to catch up to some of them and pass them towards the end.

A lot! Most importantly ride more often and get more comfortable with gear shifting. Will switch to bike shoes with clipless pedals, maybe get aero bars. Also need to work on being in aero position more often.
Transition 2
  • 00m 54s
Comments:

The benefit here was that I didn't have to change shoes

Will switch to bike shoes. The time lost switching shoes in T2 will be gained in increased efficiency on my bike.
Run
  • 27m 34s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 08m 53s  min/mile
Comments:

Set a 5K PR!! I'm not a runner and just count my soccer games and bootcamp conditioning classes as my "run training". My legs didn't feel as bad as they did after my first tri at this point. However my knee was definitely hurting and I just focused on my form the entire run. The shoulder of the highway had a significant curve down and was uncomfortable to run on. A lot of us were running in the road where it was more flat until motor traffic increased to the point that it was unsafe. As I ran into the park entrance I was hit with so much excitement that I ran hard in, passed a couple people, and was smiling big!

Start running. I need to get my bones used to continuous running.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around, ate food, drank gatorade. Long walk to the car :)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I'm sure everyone says training is a limiting factor...Also my sudden injuries to my shoulder/clavicle and knee. I should probably not participate in other sports the week before the race :)

Event comments:

This was a great race for a newbie like me!

Last updated: 2012-10-05 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:19:56 | 820 yards | 02m 26s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/12
Overall: 104/200
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: rectangle shaped course in a small inlet along north east river. In water start, exit onto rocky sand.
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 86F / 30C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:04
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:06:09 | 15.6 miles | 14.15 mile/hr
Overall: 161/200
Performance: Average
Wind: None
Course: Starts out somewhat flat and along a highway with some shade, then gets hilly. about half along highway, half through winding shaded roads.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering:
Gear changes: Below average Hills: Average
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:54
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:27:34 | 03.1 miles | 08m 53s  min/mile
Overall: 112/200
Course: Out and back loop along highway, little to no shade.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2012-10-05 2:47 PM

Subject: North East Triathlon

2012-10-05 3:33 PM
in reply to: #4442803

User image

Expert
Middle River, Maryland
Silver member
Subject: RE: North East Triathlon
Great first tri and RR, and welcome to BT!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » North East Triathlon Rss Feed