General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Piriformis Syndrome? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-06-19 10:03 AM

Subject: Piriformis Syndrome?
Hi!

I have some moderate pain while running - definitely not enough to force me to stop but it is painful and if it gets worse it might/will force me to stop. By the way when I say stop I mean in the middle of a run - I ran 7 days ago, had the pain and simply stopped running when I was done with my run (6 miles). Didn't run at all again until yesterday (there was no pain during the week but I wanted to take it easy anyway). Yesterday I did a brick, 30 miles - 4 miles, and the pain was right back there just about 1 mile into my run!

The pain is in the butt, but subsides some time (less than an hour) after stopping but the inflammation then affects and moves to bone on the lateral part of my hip (and then this subsides after a day or two). I have also noticed that the muscle on my inner thigh just around my groin is very tight (close to cramping at the end of my run when I stretch).

I believe it is piriformis syndrome, of course I am not a doctor but from what I have read about it, it seems to fit. I read a lot about different strecthes, massage, whether or not to rest, strengthening exercise, etc.

My question is does anyone have any good remedies for problems with the piriformis? What was most effective quickly, deep massage, strecthing, rest, (all of the those!), or something else? I am trying to prepare for an upcoming race in a week. The pain that I have experienced is not enough to warrant not racing (or at least not trying to race), but I would like to enjoy the experience!

Thanks for any help and suggestions!

2006-06-19 10:45 AM
in reply to: #458636

Master
Boston
Subject: RE: Piriformis Syndrome?

solo- i believe I had a strained piriformis after training for my half mary back in Feb. I had the same symptoms you had. I noticed it starting after months of training, where I was up to running 11 miles.

There are some piriformis stretches you should do- google it, you'll find a bunch. What worked was taking about 2 FULL months off running. This was VERY VERY hard to do, as I love running...but I just started running about 2 weeks ago- and was pain-free. Do NOT try to run thru the pain- as in my case, the pain just got worse, and I felt it when I was walking, not just when I was running. I biked a lot since I couldn't run and swam. Biking didn't seem to bother it.

Good luck!

2006-06-20 8:16 AM

GatorGirl22 -

Thanks for your reply! Biking and swimming don't seem to hurt it, so I will stick with those mostly for a while. I did learn several good stretches, I will start incorporating them into my daily routine (was probably not stretching that muscle and some other muscles enough). I will probably just try walk/run on a treadmill every once in while as I continue to heal, so that I can easily stop if there is pain - rather than having to walk back home or to my car!
2006-06-20 9:54 AM

User image

Expert
acton, Ma

I was just going to post a similar request.

Mine hurts when running, and sometimes swimming.  Biking it feels OK.

I was hoping to race this Sunday, but I think I'll stop running for a while and focus on healing.  I'll check out the stretches....

Does ice help?

2006-06-20 10:20 AM

tri_again,

Ice did help me last week ... by the time I iced it on Tuesday night (went running Monday a week ago), there was no pain in my butt, just on the side of my hip. That's where I iced and that seemed to help. I only iced it that night, and then the pain pretty much went away totally by Friday (with just swimming Tuesday - Thursday).

So the amount of pain in your case was similar - did you have to stop running or were you able to continue?
2006-06-21 8:33 AM

User image

Expert
acton, Ma

I've been laying on the running.  Last Monday it hurt so much when running that I had to stop and walk (hobble).  I ran again on Friday morning, and it felt OK, a bit tight though.  However, during my swim after work, it cramped up and I cut the swim short.

I haven't run yet this week.  I've biked a couple of times and swam.  I'm extremely frustrated with this :P

2006-06-21 2:56 PM

You don't have any pain when you are not running, correct? Maybe you should visit with an active release person, sports massage, assisted strecthing, etc.?

I agree it's very frustrating ... I did about 90 minutes worth of assisted strectching, active release, and massage, earlier this week (saw 2 different people). The area was a little bit sore after words for a day, even during everyday activities (which did not occur before (i.e. before it was only aggravated by running)). Now it feels fine, but that's just with swimming and everyday activities.

BTW, neither person I saw felt I had piriformis syndrome, more of a tight piriformis muscle. Both also said it's critical to treat it somewhat quickly (i.e. thru massage or stretching). I definitely wasn't stretching that area enough as part of my routine.

I will let you know how it feels after my next attempt at a run (will be on a treadmill for sure, just in case it flares up again).

2006-06-23 11:48 AM

User image

Expert
acton, Ma
It definitely hurts while running.  I've taken this week off from running and am going lightly on the biking.  I feel it swimming, but I'm being cautious.  I'm seeing my sports massage therapist on Tuesday.... yippy!
2006-06-23 12:09 PM
in reply to: #463986

Glad to hear that you are at least able to swim.

I ran two night's ago on the treadmill. Basically walked for 2~3 minutes, then would run for 5 minutes, walk again, run again, etc., and ended up doing about 3.5 miles that way. I didn't feel any pain at all while running. Been swimming without any issue throughout the last two weeks.

I have felt strange tweaks in that area every once in a while, but not while I am active (i.e. it occurs lately when I am sitting around the house or at work). I was pleased with the run walk workout, that there was no pain. So I will probably test it again more agressively in a couple of days.

I have been strecthing a lot, and I see my stretching/massage/active release person later next week, so I plan on getting in two more runs before then (assuming the next one doesn't have any pain!).
2006-06-26 11:03 AM
in reply to: #464009

So this weekend I ended up doing a dualthon (changed to a 5K run- 40 K bike- 10K run due to weather).

5K: Slower than average pace, half due to the fact that I am not used to a run-bike transition, half due to just wanted to take it easier on the piriformis/etc. So I probably ran a 1 minute/mile slower than normal. Felt absolutely no pain throughout the 5 K.

40K Bike: Definitely the hardest I have pushed myself on the bike. Averaged about 2 mph faster than I did last year on the same course, and definitely felt like I was constantly pushing myself. Didn't feel any pain.

10K Run: Started to feel pain in my hip (near iliac crest) in the very beginning of the run. No pain in the butt as before, just in the hip (which is typically where the pain traveled to within 24 hours following a workout. The pain was about a 3 (maybe a 4) on a scale from 1 to 10. I ran about 20 seconds per mile slower than what I am capable of - was holding back somewhat because I didn't want to push too hard with the pain.

The pain has pretty much subsided by now, 24 hours later.

So, I feel that I am definitely recovering, but certainly not there yet. I definitely feel like stretching (especially that area) and the tennis ball and massage have helped a lot, but I plan on continuing to train with reduced volume until I am totally pain free.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Piriformis Syndrome? Rss Feed