United States
USAT Sanctioned
Precipitation
Total Time = 3h 05m 14s
Overall Rank = 130/209
Age Group = 40-45
Age Group Rank = 17/26
Pre-race routine:

got up early, had a cup of coffee, banana, and a cinnamon-raisin bagel with peanut butter.
Event warmup:

Since it was not too far from my house I biked there. I swam a very little bit and by hanging out in the water I thought I would be used to the water (wrong).
Swim
  • 37m 44s
  • 1640 yards
  • 02m 18s / 100 yards
Comments:

Worst swim ever. Got about two hundred feet before panic began. I couldn't get into my rhythm. I had no energy, couldn't catch my breath and generally felt horrible. Seriously considered gettig out of the water and giving up. Stayed in the water, breast-stroked for 3/4 of the first lap. Gradually calmed down and eventually got into freestlyle and finished the lap, last in my wave. The rest of the swim went ok. I actually caught some others.
What would you do differently?:

WARM UP. I should swim at least a lap. After a little while I get used to the water and have no problems. I have to remember to do this!
Transition 1
  • 02m 23s
Comments:

Took off wetsuit right after exiting the water. Got a cramp in my calf that I had to massage for a minute. Wore no socks with the bike shoes, didn't wear sunglasses since it was raining.

Wait a little more to get the wetsuit off. I scooped water into the suit to make it easier to get off but I didn't give the water time to work into the legs.
Bike
  • 1h 25m 51s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 17.37 mile/hr
Comments:

I had a nice ride. I really pushed to try and make up the huge amount of time lost in the swim. Passed a bunch of people and was only passed by two guys (they had really expensive bikes, were young and very very strong) who were on their second lap as I was on my first. I rode my road bike and really tried to push on the hills.

Do more leg presses in the winter to make my legs stronger.
Transition 2
  • 01m 44s
Comments:

Considered getting out of shoes before dismounting but I had not practiced this so decided to play it safe.

practice getting out of shoes while on bike.
Run
  • 57m 35s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 09m 16s  min/mile
Comments:

I wasn't sure how much energy I had used on the bike so I started the run slow. Had to take a pee break which added a little bit to my time. I took water whenever possible and HEED at every other stand. Began to get a blister during 2nd lap. Really pushed on the last lap, I should have gone faster earlier.

Wear socks. I opted not to wear socks and have a nice blister to show for that mistake. It was ok for a 5K but I need them for longer races. I need to really push and run faster, longer strides.
Post race
Warm down:

Took a water and nutrigrain bar, walked to the food and had an orange, banana and bagel with PB. Just walked around a bit.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not doing a good enough swim warm-up and not picking up my running pace sooner.

Event comments:

I liked the course. The bike was fun and very challenging as was the run course. Swim course was ok. I think if it was a nicer day it would have been a good spectator course.

Last updated: 2006-03-27 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:37:44 | 1640 yards | 02m 18s / 100yards
Age Group: 25/26
Overall: 187/209
Performance: Bad
Suit: Ironman Stealth
Course: Three lap loop in an old quarry. We had to get out and run over a timing strip before getting back in for the next loop.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:23
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:25:51 | 24.85 miles | 17.37 mile/hr
Age Group: 11/26
Overall: 90/209
Performance:
Wind: None
Course: The Olympic distance bike will include two loops in a very hilly and challenging terrain.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:44
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:57:35 | 06.21 miles | 09m 16s  min/mile
Age Group: 16/26
Overall: 135/209
Performance: Average
Course: The Olympic distance 10K will be three loops over a slightly rolling terrain.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %3 lbs
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes