General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 5k canceled - no refund, no weather mishap? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2012-10-08 11:38 AM
in reply to: #4444932

Veteran
Subject: RE: 5k canceled - no refund, no weather mishap?

abier - 2012-10-08 9:13

Unless a race has a history of selling out, I register on raceday. 

most races charge a premium for this, 50% for my race ($60 early entry will cost you $90 day of race). I'm happy to take the risk if you're willing to pay for it.

5k races for "causes" are a penny a dozen.  Plenty have no premium or if they do it's five bucks on top fifteen or twenty or a "no shirt" thing, big deal.  If it's legit and a worthy cause, I don't mind paying.

Bigger, established races I'll pre-reg for, but you got a hefty premium goin' on there.  If I came across that event late, I'd pass.

How do you edit out stuff without making the quote feature unintelligible?

Edited by abier 2012-10-08 11:40 AM

2012-10-08 12:00 PM
in reply to: #4445035

phishintrip007 - 2012-10-08 10:45 AM

How much notice did they give you that it was cancelled?

I just wonder because living here in hurricane alley, it is likely that races get cancelled due to weather. If I spent several hundred bucks on a race and had non refundable plane tickets or hotel reservations, It seems like it could be a huge loss for running some of these races and then to not even get at least a portion of your money back on the race registration would hurt. And what exactly do they do with the money when it gets cancelled? I can understand not refunding 100% of your money because as a RD you likely also have a good chunk of cash tied up in expo's, reservations, marketing contracts, etc. but it seems that if the race didn't happen there would be a surplus of money to refund everyone a portion of their money back or credit towards next years race something.

I received no notice of cancellation. Nada. Zip. Not even an email. I actually would have shown up on race day, save that my buddy who was going to run it with me tried to register the evening right before the race and noticed it was canceled.

The weather, as said, was perfect in DC that day. No plausible weather explanation. Actually, I'd take ANY explanation at this point - I'm ok with donating money to a cause, but I get uncomfortable knowing that funds could have been diverted to other sketchy reasons.

Apparently though the race seems legit in the past - there are 4 years of race results online.

2012-10-08 12:08 PM
in reply to: #4444289

Extreme Veteran

suefesta - 2012-10-07 5:55 PM does not sound fair but somethings in life things are not fair. Hope the money went to a good cause. Also hope it was not to much money.

Worst....post....ever.  Total dumpster fire.

2012-10-08 12:21 PM
in reply to: #4445179

User image

Pro
Bodaggit - 2012-10-08 12:08 PM

suefesta - 2012-10-07 5:55 PM does not sound fair but somethings in life things are not fair. Hope the money went to a good cause. Also hope it was not to much money.

Worst....post....ever.  Total dumpster fire.

I'm not so sure about that.

If the "agreement" says it can be cancelled for no reason with no refund....then that's the agreement.  I agree that it sucks....but the words are pretty clear. When you pay your money you agree to the terms.

2012-10-09 9:06 PM
in reply to: #4444941

User image

Champion

A few thoughts:

1. The waivers rule all, trump everything.  Read them carefully, and if you don't like the deal, don't register.  I am NOT saying this critically, but just as a fact of life.  (And FWIW, I never read the waivers, figuring i know by now what they will say --- and I am indeed prepared for those "acts of god"!)
  2. Most races will not issue a refund in the event of a cancellation, as much of the fees have already gone into merchandise and equipment that cannot be simply returned.  If you get a refund due to a cancelled race, then you are dealing with an extremely fair RD.
  3. As for the supersprint that was cancelled just four hours before the start, I figure that the RD was hoping to be able to stage the race.......but wonder why it wasn't switched to a duathlon, which is a fairly common practice.  Just last month, Mainiac Triathlon was switched to a du about 90 minutes before the race start.  This was after a couple of kayaks had dumped in the strong surf (from Hurricane Leslie, way out to sea, but still causing problems on the coast) and a few buoy anchors had been lost --- and also after a few emails to all registrants saying that a du was a possibility, and to satrt getting our heads around that fact. 
  4. As a follow-up, Nations Triathlon in '11 was altered to a bike-run when the Potomac became too sewage-ridden and tree/branch/stump ladenn to accommodate swimmers.  They sent out an email several days in advance, which at least allowed people to not make the trip under non-swim conditions.  Hats off to them for being so proactive, and athlete-friendly! 
  5. It's easy to be cynical, especially when something like the National Harbor 70.3 was cancelled due to what seems little more than unfavorable registration numbers.  This is a problem that needs to be looked out for, as I would hate to see it spread --- a race says it can handle 400, say, and then if reg is slow and comes to a virtual halt at 267, and the RD pulls the plug.   Not athlete-friendly at all!
  6. Cynicism aside, we all need to be aware of the huge responsibility that RDs face -- especially when it involves conducting a swim or not.  I'm sure all RDs are fearful of lawsuits, but even more --- they are terrified that they will "lose" someone as a result of making a rash decision based, perhaps, on catering to a few tougher athletes who are ready to swim in anything.  Nowadays, with so many "newbies" entering triathlon, the chances are real high that a lot of people will not be comfortable swimming in gnarly water, but will do it anyhow just because they're there, and it's a triathlon! 
  7. The original poster has a legitimate complaint, as there seems to be no reason for the race to be cancelled.  I don't know what the recourse is, other than to demand an explanation from the RD and then -- if the answer doesn't satisfy, or isn't even offered -- spread the word for people to avoid future races by the same RD or race company.
2012-10-10 3:22 AM
in reply to: #4447384

stevebradley - 2012-10-09 9:06 PM  As for the supersprint that was cancelled just four hours before the start, I figure that the RD was hoping to be able to stage the race.......but wonder why it wasn't switched to a duathlon, which is a fairly common practice.  Just last month, Mainiac Triathlon was switched to a du about 90 minutes before the race start.  This was after a couple of kayaks had dumped in the strong surf (from Hurricane Leslie, way out to sea, but still causing problems on the coast) and a few buoy anchors had been lost --- and also after a few emails to all registrants saying that a du was a possibility, and to satrt getting our heads around that fact. 

Well, it wasn't switched to a duathlon because the winds were still to high to safely bike and I think sand was still covering the road in several places. I don't want to talk trash about the race because I believe the RD was truly trying/hoping the race could still happen and everything would be cleaned up in my case. I mean it was the last race of a 7 or 8 race series in the same place and all the other races were awesome. I was just asking because I wondered if it is standard protocol to not get back your money or get back a portion of your money. It sounds like its just up to the RD. We got back 75% of our money which was like a 35 dollar fee to begin with so I was out what 9 bucks or something, maybe 12 with the other charges. I would think a good RD would simply look at what was in it already and refund whatever they could without taking a loss on the race or like the Rev3 situation just give people a credit towards a different race. I know this particular race I was signed up for I will likely run this next summer. A quick little thursday night supersprint is great training for transitions!!

Edited by phishintrip007 2012-10-10 3:22 AM

2012-10-10 5:56 PM
in reply to: #4444287

User image

Extreme Veteran

WTC National Harbor 70.3 from August was cancelled due to lack of interest according to Active.com.  I got a full refund.

Wild Half Marathon in Wildwood NJ 2011 was cancelled due to hurricane.  No refund but free registration for this year's race.

Curious to find out what happened if the OP actually contacted their credit card company.

2012-10-10 6:15 PM
in reply to: #4449033

User image

Sensei
Sin City
I have had an event canceled due to lack of interest.  I hadn't paid yet, so I'm not sure if the people that DID pay were reimbursed.  I'm assuming they were.  Or at least I hope so.
2012-10-10 8:36 PM

User image

Elite
Shady......maybe I need to change businesses...go state to state and run a race and cancel it the day before...cha- ching
2012-10-10 8:49 PM

OP here - I clarified in another thread, but I emailed the RD / webmaster, and they said that the race was canceled last-second due to unforeseen construction on the course, and that active.com had emailed out the cancellation (I don't recall getting it, but I may have had an out of date email address.)

They also said refunds were being in the process of being issued, but due to a computer processing issue, paper checks had to be issued which would be sent to our active.com home address. Still sounds sketchy to me, but it's better than no explanation. You'd think they'd at least update the webpage to include a sentence about the cancellation reason.

I'm still awaiting my paper check...

2012-10-11 1:14 PM
in reply to: #4449194

User image

New user
Athens, GA
One thing that just struck me - at one point, my account in Active.com reverted to a very old address of mine in their system even though I entered my current address during the registration process for recent races. If you ever had a different mailing address with Active, you might want to confirm with them the address they have on file for mailing the check.

2012-10-11 1:26 PM
in reply to: #4447384

User image

Pro
Nutmeg State
stevebradley - 2012-10-09 10:06 PM

Most races will not issue a refund in the event of a cancellation, as much of the fees have already gone into merchandise and equipment that cannot be simply returned.  If you get a refund due to a cancelled race, then you are dealing with an extremely fair RD.

As a race director, this is a huge issue.  Most of the costs associated with any race must be paid prior to race day (e.g. shirts, permitting fees, timing, bib tags, medals, port-a-lets, water, food, prizes, etc.).  If a RD has to cancel a race (I was put in this position last October when we had a freak snowstorm, lost power and were not allowed to use the course because of downed trees and power lines), they still have spent the pre-registration fees to pay for these costs.  In my situation, I wrote pre-regsitered runners a check for their registration fee but in writing that check, I took the hit financially in order to preserve good will for future years. 

While individual situations vary, realize that every time you register for a race, there is a risk that something will happen that may cause the race to be cancelled. 

2012-10-11 1:38 PM
in reply to: #4449185

User image

Extreme Veteran

FELTGood - 2012-10-10 9:36 PM Shady......maybe I need to change businesses...go state to state and run a race and cancel it the day before...cha- ching

Just put on a different disguise and go city to city.  You go interstate you have to deal with the federales.  

2012-10-12 11:48 AM
in reply to: #4450240

User image

Champion

Above and beyond, KELLY, above and beyond -- you add new meaning to the term "extremely fair".  I can only hope that karma has been kind to you and that "good will for future years" will continue to be yours!

2012-11-06 11:09 PM

Hey surprise update - I just got a refund check for my entry fee for this last-minute canceled race! Took over 2 months, but it came!
2012-11-06 11:26 PM
in reply to: #4487265

User image

Extreme Veteran
Awesome!

I still get surprised from time to time :p

2012-11-07 7:18 AM

Cool!

Still, the cynic in me thinks that if you had enough entries, you could deposit them, bank 2-3 months of interest, refund the deposit and make a nice profit. 

Your entrants are happy and surprised because they get their money back, and you get a two-month interest free loan.

Cynical, huh?

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 5k canceled - no refund, no weather mishap? Rss Feed  

of 2