None...just get myself there on time.
Event warmup:

None
Bike
  • 5h 58m
  • 100 miles
  • 16.76 mile/hr
Comments:

This race was amazing. Not so much for just doing 100 but because of the reason I was able to do the 100. A group of headed out together. I knew I was riding with the big dogs who could ride fast and long! On our regular rides they usually leave me in the dust. I pushed hard to keep up with them during the first 12 miles...no such luck the pack left me and when I pulled up to the first aid station they said ok, lets go...um no I need to stop. They took off...all but one person. He said he could't keep up that pace for 100 miles and felt it in his legs already. He waited for me and asked if we could ride together. I thought how nice ok sure! We talked a bit and I noticed he kept dropping behind me whenever we came to a turn and I thought, "what the heck". I found out he was blind. He could see but not really see the signs or the arrows in the road. So whenever we turned or came to an intersection he would have to follow because he didn't know which way to go. I became his eyes. We rode side by side up to about the 51st mile. Then leg cramps started in my legs. Dan had to pull me into the aid station. I dropped behind him and called the turns and if the intersections were clear. We were only about two miles from my house and I was hurting so badly that I was ready to call it, throw in the towel, end my ride. You could see the cramps in my legs and my inner thighs knotting up as I tried to stretch. But of course the boys from the mentor group were shouting warm coors for you if you quit! Dan said he couldn't do the race without me and would go as far as I could. No big deal he would do 100 another day. He was so nice and I realized what a huge goal this was for him. I looked around, surely he could ride with another group right? No, he trusted me to call the turns...we fell into a grove and it worked. I got on the bike, cramps and all, we started out slow and eventually worked our way up to 17.5 mph again. Then we came across John who helped pull us into the lunch stop.
John asked to ride with us again but left before us. I needed time. Again Dan did most of the work and then we found ourselves riding side by side as I started to feel much better. Sucking on hard candy and a lot of electrolytes helped. We caught up to John and this time we could return the favor and help him out.
I found my second wind and took a turn pulling the pace line. By now there were four of us. Headed into the wind I was in my aeros and peddling comfortably. The boys said they could hardly keep up! I was glad I could get them through their rough patch.
Four miles out to the finish John was really struggling. He was a big guy and when we struggled he pulled us, so we waited for him, slowed our pace down and pulled him into the finish strong.
It was an amazing day and I learned so much about myself, finishing and doing something when I didn't think I could. When I was hurting I kept going for someone else, but more importantly, this stranger, who did not know me would have let me stop if that was what I really needed to do, even though he had a goal. It's just touching, I don't know any better way to explain it. How we found each other, the timing of things and how we all leaned on each other. Simply amazing.
What would you do differently?:

Drink more
Post race
Warm down:

Laying on the grass, stretching and eating.

Event comments:

The group here is amazing. The swag bag has lots of goodies and the volunteers are fantastic. Very organized, get aid stations with lots of food and fruits. Lunch is Port o Subs and as much as you can eat. Roads were clearly marked and for the most part pretty good roads. Some "cobble stone" bad roads but mostly good roads. Great Ride!

Last updated: 2012-10-07 12:00 AM
Biking
05:58:00 | 100 miles | 16.76 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: Flat! Peddle peddle peddle! No coasting no hills.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right