General Discussion Race Reports! » Peroni Crawlin' Crab Half Marathon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Peroni Crawlin' Crab Half Marathon - RunHalf Marathon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Hampton, Virginia
United States
J&A Racing
54F / 12C
Precipitation
Total Time = 2h 17m 19s
Overall Rank = 628/2263
Age Group = 45-50
Age Group Rank = 68/160
Pre-race routine:

Drove to Hampton on Fri to pick up our race packets. Expo was very small and not much to see.
Event warmup:

Up early and had some toast and coffee. Really had second thought about doing this race because when I woke up it was pouring out. Drove to Newport News to pick up Paula Henry then headed to HAmpton. Thank goodness my prayers were heard, and the rain stopped. Into the Convention Center for warmth. Decided to run in shorts instead of my tights, and just wear my rain coat. That way if I got warm I could tie it around my waist.
Run
  • 2h 17m 19s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 29s  min/mile
Comments:

The goal for this race was to get Paula to chill out and not stress. She is always worring about how fast she has to go to finish fast. I on the otherhand just want to enjoy the race. She has been under alot of stress and stated that she really wanted to do this race and have fun. I know better because she ALWAYS starts off fast then continues. We started out with a plan to run 2 miles and walk a min. Pretty much stuck to the plan, thank goodness. We met another friend of Paulas at the start and she ran with us til about mile 8. Was worried about my GI issues and figured Paula would leave me at the bathroom. Well needed to stop at mile 4 to use the potty. Thanks goodness both Ellen and Paula had to as well. While waiting there was a small line that really wasnt moving. An older gentleman went to the two potties that werent making any noises and yanked the doors hard. Both were empty but locked. Thank goodness he did that!! Wait was bit longer than it should have been. Got warm and had to take the rain coat off. Mile 9 it started to rain again and got a bit chilly so put the coat back on. SO glad that I had it with me!! Stopped again to use the potty and this time I was not feeling very good at all. Told PAula to go ahead and go because I wasnt sure how fast I could go past thhat point. So happy that she stuck it out with me though! I would have def been even slower. Mile 11 had to take a short walk break and also at 12. Then told PAula to go ahead because I knew that she had ALOT left in the tank. As she went ahead I took anothe small walk breat at the waterstop. Noticed an older lady infront of me walking, but not very straight. She was weaving really badly. Came up beside her and asked if she was ok. The lady said yes that she needed to walk a bit but she was slurring her words. I grabbed onto her arm and told her that I would walk with her for a bit to make sure she was ok. At that point a lady from the waterstop came up to us and said that she would take care of her and for me to go ahead. This watersop was at a church that old neighbors I had go to. The lady that came up to us was a friend of my old neighbor, so I felt safe that she would get the lady the help she might need. Tried to push hard the last mile but the legs didnt have much left. Few very short walk breaks the last mile :(. Clock time at the finish was 2:21 so was pleasantly surprised!
What would you do differently?:

Stick to the training plan a bit better. When the plans call for 4 runs I will only do 3.
Post race
Warm down:

Still was cold and drizzling when we finished so we didnt stick around for the corn chowder. Cant have it anyway because of the milk so why freeze!

Last updated: 2012-08-29 12:00 AM
Running
02:17:19 | 13.1 miles | 10m 29s  min/mile
Age Group: 68/160
Overall: 28/2263
Performance: Good
Course: Very flat loop around downtown Hampton.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2012-10-10 8:07 AM

User image

Expert
Williamsburg, VA
Subject: Peroni Crawlin' Crab Half Marathon

2012-10-10 10:42 AM
in reply to: #4447701

User image

Extreme Veteran
Frederick, Maryland
Subject: RE: Peroni Crawlin' Crab Half Marathon
Good mental toughness under difficult conditions! Good thing you caught that woman and she got some attention. She didn't sound like she was in good shape at all! Onward to your next one!

Edited by sbrdave 2012-10-10 10:46 AM
2012-10-10 6:51 PM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Great work under less than ideal circumstances.
2012-10-10 6:51 PM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Great work under less than ideal circumstances.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Peroni Crawlin' Crab Half Marathon Rss Feed