HFP
80F / 27C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 04m 39s
Overall Rank = 155/450
Age Group = XL4
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Drove up from Cincinnati that morning (up at 3:30am -- arrived at 7am). Headed for the tents to pickup race packet and then set up in the transition area. Headed for the lake to check out the transition area and water conditions.
Swim
  • 21m 95s
  • 750 meters
  • 03m 01s / 100 meters
Comments:

I was doing SO GOOD... I had a little song going in my head and was pretty rested throughout -- was in the churn till we rounded the final orange buoy and the stretch home and then it seemed I had the lake to myself -- until my head bumped against something and I looked up. The lifeguard said he really had to push it to catch me -- I was about 100 yds off course!!
What would you do differently?:

Swim 10 strokes, then look up.

:-)
Transition 1
  • 03m
Comments:

I left with my bike gloves in my hands and luckily decided to throw them back into the general vacinity of my stuff before I got too far out -- it was about 80F. I also took 2 asprin before I left (Walt's suggestion) to keep my blood thin (a heart attack mid race just wouldn't do)and to help with leg pain. Seems to have worked. Great ride!

I don't need all the stuff I lay out at the transition area -- I think that laying out the necessities up front and then optional items (like bike gloves) in the back would be better. I also don't need the goo during the ride.
Bike
  • 55m 23s
  • 22 kms
  • 23.83 km/hr

Nothing... I was pleased with progress on this portion.
Transition 2
  • 01m 38s
Comments:

Was really stiff getting off the bike, but much better than the last race. According to my bike computer, my average was 14.8 with a top speed of 22 (not bad for a flat course and windy day).I was pretty happy with the improvements. I caught up with Tricia half way through the race which really got her going!! Good time.

Continue to train and stretch
Run
  • 42m 40s
  • 5 kms
  • 08m 32s  min/km
Comments:

I slowed down and walked when my heart rate started to mach tuck -- each race it gets a little better. At the end of the day, the fact that I can still do this after having 4 kids and cancer twice is a gift. One of the things I liked most about watching Kyle (Poland) run was the "Kyle clap" he always does when he crosses the finishing line -- I follow suit and try hard to motivate myself and other racers along the way.

Keep training -- keep smiling!
Post race
Warm down:

I REALLY wanted to get back in the lake -- it had really warmed up by the time the race was over, but I headed for the bananas and watermellon.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Just training. I'm pretty excited really -- I've shaved about 25 minutes off the time of last year's triathlon at Buck Creek and another 4 off Deer Creek's race weekend before last. My goal is to hit 2 hours total for Caesars Creek and under 1:50 before the end of the season.

Event comments:

Lots of bananas this time around -- the announcer was great (funny) and the music good. VERY windy day -- we lost the arches at both ends of the transition area. I came home with a second place ribbon.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2006-06-03 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:21:95 | 750 meters | 03m 01s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 155/450
Performance: Good
I don't have exact time -- the HFP volunteers started the timers late and so all I have is the time for the run and total time. These are a guess.
Suit: wetsuit
Course: Good rectangle course -- held my own on the way out, on the way back the wind/current really picked up. Walt said I did the race in 20 minutes -- I think it was closer to 25.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 76F / 24C Current: High
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 03:00
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:55:23 | 22 kms | 23.83 km/hr
Overall: 136/450
Performance:
Wind: Headwind with gusts
Course: Good flat course -- VERY windy (how do you get a constant headwind???)but not all that bad -- according to my computer, I averaged 14.8 throughout.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 78
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:38
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:42:40 | 05 kms | 08m 32s  min/km
Overall: 162/450
Performance: Average
Course: Flat -- great course. Kyle passed me coming/going at about my mile 2.3 (he's my hero) and high 5've a little mojo.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-06-19 2:19 PM

User image

New user

Lebanon, OH -- Home to Wheelie Fun & On the Run!!!
Subject: Maumee Bay Triathlon & Duathlon

2006-06-19 3:56 PM
in reply to: #459145

User image

Master
Athens, Ga.
Subject: RE: Maumee Bay Triathlon & Duathlon
Excellent, excellent job on your race! It's very cool to see you meeting your goals. Under two hours is definitely do-able by the end of the year!
2006-06-19 6:31 PM
in reply to: #459145

User image

Extreme Veteran
northeast Ohio
Subject: RE: Maumee Bay Triathlon & Duathlon

Congrats on your race!  I really enjoyed reading your race report.  And it was WINDY yesterday.  I was glad I wasn't out there biking. 

Diane

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Maumee Bay Triathlon & Duathlon Rss Feed