Venezuela
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 26m 15s
Overall Rank = 168/279
Age Group = Sport Senior
Age Group Rank = 19/35
Pre-race routine:

MOUNTAIN BIKE RACE.

Drove out to the ranch where the race took place. Stopped on the way to have some breakfast.
Event warmup:

Just rode around a bit.
Bike
  • 2h 26m 15s
  • 24 kms
  • 9.85 km/hr
Comments:

My goal for this race was to start getting used to my MTB after a few months of neglect (IM training)...and not to get my ass handed to me by my girl, who was also racing but was a bit tired from her 1/2 IM last weekend.

As my group started, the guy in front of me nearly fell because of uneven surface. He started cursing and complaining. I wonder what part of being in a mountain bike race he didn't understand?

I decided to pace myself on the flats but ended up passing a lot of people in the 28 (!) river crossings. Most went in with gears too hard, others shifted as they crossed and broke their chains, many walked or carried their bikes.

So I ended up riding a little harder than I wanted to but couldn't miss my chance to pass a few other riders; however, most riders I passed went right by me again in the endless 6.5k climb. I can't believe the distance was so short but it took us so long.

About 40 min. into the race and the huge climb begins. I hit the granniest of the granny gears 95% of the way up. Many people walked. In fact, I had the same guy walking his bike a few feet ahead of me for about 20 minutes...and I was on the bike!

Reached the top in 1 hr 55 min. and descended in 31 minutes. Crossed the river 11 more times before the finish line. Could have gone downhill faster but my brakes didn't feel right. Apparently the rivers had eaten up my brake pads. I figured this had happended to mostly all other riders with no disc brakes, but I still didn't want to risk it. Flatted (again in a race, unbelievable) close to the finish line, but rode it out.

The first rider in my AG was done with the whole race ten minutes before I even finished the climb. Not good.
What would you do differently?:

Train more on the MTB and at high heart rates. After all the IM training, my body has no idea what anaerobic is. My plan was to keep the HR above 170, but it was extremely uncomfortable.
Post race
Warm down:

I felt fresh afterwards and a little angry I couldn't push harder up the hill.

I know this is my first race back on the old mountain bike, but deep inside I wanted to show myself that, even against all logic, I was still a good rider.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

More time on the saddle and in the dirt. Need to regain downhill technique and be comfortable at high heart rates for these short races.

I want to be competitive again.

Event comments:

The location was fantastic and the course was brutal. I wish I had been in better shape to enjoy it more.

Mayde came in at 2:59:04 and placed 5th in her AG. Just a week after her 1/2 IM!

Profile Album

Last updated: 2006-06-18 12:00 AM
Biking
02:26:15 | 24 kms | 9.85 km/hr
Age Group: 0/35
Overall: 0/279
Performance:
Wind: Little
Course: 6.5K relatively flat with 28 river crossings + 6.5k climb + 11K downhill & 11 more river crossings.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-06-19 2:45 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Brisbane
Subject: Red Bull III Torrecasas MTB

2006-06-19 8:56 PM
in reply to: #459194

User image

Extreme Veteran
Melbourne
Subject: RE: Red Bull III Torrecasas MTB
Better shape - uhhh, need I remind you that you just did an IM!!!
I understand, MTB fitness, but me thinks you are being a touch hard on yourself.

As you said the course was brutal, it sure reads that way.
You were out there having a go, you didn't walk your bike up the hill and you flatted.
Tough conditions indeed.

A little more time on the MTB and I have no doubt you will be more competitive.

2006-06-21 9:48 AM
in reply to: #459648

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tokyo, Japan

Hey mate, you are as hardcore as they come.  An Ironman one month, a 2+ hour MTB race the next!!

As you said, it was against ALL logic to think you could go hard after IM training.  Don't worry, give it time...you'll get your mojo back!!

2006-06-28 6:53 AM
in reply to: #459194

User image

Expert
Reykjavik, Iceland

WOW, what a race, 39 river crossings

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Red Bull III Torrecasas MTB Rss Feed