General Discussion Triathlon Talk » working on speed in off season or few months before IM Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-10-14 7:01 AM

User image

Regular
Akron
Subject: working on speed in off season or few months before IM
I'm confused. I hear a lot of times that the off season is the best time to work on running and bike speed. Then I read articles that says you should do run speed work a couple months ahead of IM and the off season is when you should build up your running endurance.  I think you can work on bike speed all year long. I would think the off season is the best time to work on run speed. What are you thoughts/experiences?

2012-10-14 8:02 AM
in reply to: #4452999

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: working on speed in off season or few months before IM

I hear where your coming from with this, there is a lot of reading material with conflicting views. My opinion after sifting through everything is this. I you are looking to make great gains in your speed, then your going to need more than a couple of months prior to your event. As you approach your even you should be focusing on race specific training, incorporating shorter, faster sessions.

As I understand it, the ideal time for iccreasing speed is the off season, providing you already have a reasonable endurance base from the previouse year. Focus on speed and strength with shorter, faster runs and rides, including sprint work, and just maintain your longer distance workouts, perhaps once a week. As the season moves forwards, increas the endurance.

2012-10-14 9:18 PM

Master
Northern IL

Off-season tends to be the better time to put in bigger focus blocks for a specific sport. That's one way to work on it.

Another is a perception thing, in understanding where speed comes from. Off-season is not interrupted by tapers or recoveries for events, so you can put in a good amount of volume if you like. This is actually where speed comes from, by building up a lot of aerobic capacity through a bigger training load. The specifics of what consists of a 'training load' can vary. The speed workouts closer to the race take that aerobic capacity and get you more used to working at an effort & duration appropriate for the race you'll be doing.

2012-10-15 7:32 AM

User image

Expert
Cincinnati
I've found that I'm more likely to injure myself working on speed, so working on speed while training for a race is bad news. That's me, though.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » working on speed in off season or few months before IM Rss Feed