General Discussion Triathlon Talk » ? for those who use the trainer for a majority of their bike training Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-10-15 8:03 AM

User image

Elite
Subject: ? for those who use the trainer for a majority of their bike training

Over the last few weeks of reading threads especially the tragic one regarding people getting injured or killed on their bike several people here have chimed in stating that they do either most if not all of their bike training on a trainer.

For those who use the trainer primarily for there long rides and especially for those who have done an IM distance tri...I have a few questions, if you dont mind.

Forgetting about the boredom aspect for a minute.......

1) Do you use the trainer for your long rides? (3+ hrs)

2) if yes, what is your longest ride on the trainer?

3) have you done an IM using a heavily trainer based bike program?

4) What is your longest ride on the trainer? any 5+?

5) If you have done long rides , how was your effort level? did you still break it up into intervals?

6) Do you count a minute as a  minute for logging purposes vs. outdoor riding?

Also feel free to add anything else........I am doing IMLP next year and I find recently, and especially with the winter approaching that I will be on the trainer a lot and though I do the typical interval training but have mixed in some pretty intense 3 hr rides with varying the rpms/hrs/gearing etc to keep it interesting and to train different aspects , but wanted to get other opinions...

thanks

2012-10-15 8:20 AM
in reply to: #4453753

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
Subject: RE: ? for those who use the trainer for a majority of their bike training
Just like the road, you should divide your trainer sessions into specific sessions. Base miles will be recorded in time units (the longest I've done is 6 hours, but I don't think I will ever do that again... it's mentally numbing). Long intervals will be done on time and power (I use a computrainer, but any fluid trainer and a powermeter will do the same thing. I haven't used TrainerRoad, but my understand is that this software will do it as well). The short intervals are also done with time and power.

I do use my CompuTrainer for distance riding as well. I have a specific course that I use for testing of my fitness and cycling ability. I know this course really well (I designed it for myself) and I know how hard to ride each section to maximize my total effort, this means that I have no excuses not to set the best time. It's a fun (and painful) way to monitor my progress.
2012-10-15 8:40 AM

User image

Pro
Twin Cities
Subject: RE: ? for those who use the trainer for a majority of their bike training

I am not an IM racer, but I do almost all of my riding on the trainer.

1. At times, yes (bad weather, convenience, and during the spring/fall/winter...okay, so yeah, more than I don't :D)

2. My weekend long rides range from 2-4 hours. Longest on the trainer was 4.5-5

3. NA

4. See 2.

5. For the longer ones (3.5+), I would often throw in intervals/drills/spinervals etc. Lately though (last two years), it's been a lot of just steady state riding.

6. Yes. I log by time and intensity, so it's all the same to me.

Edited by mmrocker13 2012-10-15 8:42 AM
2012-10-15 8:43 AM

FELTGood - 2012-10-15 8:03 AM

Over the last few weeks of reading threads especially the tragic one regarding people getting injured or killed on their bike several people here have chimed in stating that they do either most if not all of their bike training on a trainer.

For those who use the trainer primarily for there long rides and especially for those who have done an IM distance tri...I have a few questions, if you dont mind.

I used a trainer for several 3+ hour sessions in training for IMLP 2012.  My outside season really isn't possible until May so I was able to stay ahead of the game so to speak in my training. 

Longest ride I think ended up being 3:30 on the trainer.

I started from a fairly low base in fall of 2011 (ftp around 205).  I used Jorge's winter training plan (power based) over the winter.  After Jorge's plan was done, I used a couple of Ergvideos (primarily the Lake Placid course video) to ride various parts of the course until May when I could get outside.

5) If you have done long rides , how was your effort level? did you still break it up into intervals?

I generally followed Jorge's advice on my long rides -- kept the power level at around 75-85% pushing up to 90-95% for the final 20 minute kick.  I didn't do any crazy intervals on my long rides, but I did break it up some to avoid the monotony of a single power level for the entire time.

I did, but I was following a trainer specific plan.

Also feel free to add anything else........I am doing IMLP next year and I find recently, and especially with the winter approaching that I will be on the trainer a lot and though I do the typical interval training but have mixed in some pretty intense 3 hr rides with varying the rpms/hrs/gearing etc to keep it interesting and to train different aspects , but wanted to get other opinions...

I am a pretty firm believer that Jorge's plan really carried me through the winter months.  I came out in the spring a far better cyclist than the previous year.  I used a computrainer and while the software is outdated, I found the hardware to be worth every penny.  I used Golden Cheetah with erg files following Jorge's plan to the letter.  I'll probably switch to perfpro studio this year as it appears to be a little bit better of a package.

thanks

2012-10-15 8:52 AM

Master
Northern IL
FELTGood - 2012-10-15 8:03 AM

Weekday rides are most always inside and can reach 3 hrs. I do make an effort to get the longer rider ride outside on the weekend, if at all possible. Trainer is a fantastic tool, but it's not quite everything.

5 hrs. I hit or went just over 4 fairly regular last winter though.

I don't really go for IM, but do as much or more bike training as those who do. And yes, my training is more on the trainer than outside.

This is question 2 again. Haven't needed to go longer than 5.

Always break it up. At least by minor surges. More intensity and/or more duration for them if you like. Watch the overall TSS induced though.

A minute is a minute. Put the time in.

thanks

Ride a lot. And make sure to work on position. Ride in it. You don't have to ride aero all the time, but do you best to keep the hip angle about right, as that's the most important part of it. Upper body comfort & ability matters too, and will come.

Edited by brigby1 2012-10-15 8:52 AM
2012-10-15 8:52 AM

User image

Expert
Charlotte, NC

I do the bulk of my IM training on my CompuTrainer, save for some organized century rides.  For rides during the week, they are largely power based interval workouts.  For my long rides on the weekend, I use simulated courses.  For IMCdA, I used the CT Real Video of the old CdA course often.  I do count those trainer rides as minute-for-minute and did up to 5 hours on the trainer.  On those rides, I shoot for minimum avg. power numbers.

In order to eliminate some boredom, I usally ran the CT off of my laptop, which I had on a table slightly to my left while running movies on my iPad or wife's laptop.  As a result, I watched a lot of Netflix movies this summer!

I usually took a very quick break (2 minutes or so) about once an hour to go to the bathroom and fill up water bottles.  I figured this was ok, since I wasn't otherwise stopping for red lights or traffic like I would be outside. 

While it can be boring at times, I was happy with the results.  I saw some nice improvements on group rides that I did this year versus the same rides last year and my power numbers were definitely up. 

Edited by Patrick E 2012-10-15 8:54 AM

2012-10-15 9:29 AM

I currently train/race up to HIMs.

All weekday rides on the trainer. About 80 miles worth during race season, almost all of them between 4AM-6AM. 

I ride to DVDs and have a Netflix disc subscription. Helps a lot, but you do have to not get lazy and HTFU to do the requisite speedwork and intervals when your plan calls for it. 

I still think however my critical workout of the week is my long outdoor weekend ride where I try and ride pretty hard for 3-4 hours. My trainer workouts support improvement of that workout, but that's the one that I absolutely can't miss and yields the most race day benefits.

Now that I'm used to my regimen, I find it easier to do long weekday rides on the trainer than outdoors. The limiting factor for me on the trainer is the back and butt fatigue, but that's important for holding aero on race day. Interestingly enough I don't get that same fatigue or nearly as much when riding outdoors since the position varies a lot more, but if I can hold aero for 2+ hrs on the trainer, I'm good to go for 3 on race day outdoors.

2012-10-15 9:39 AM

I'm pretty much similar to others on here.  All my week day rides are inside using Computrainer for intervals etc.  I've had to do 3 long weekend rides on the trainer due to scheduling issues.  My longest ride was just over 5 hours.  I have a wall mount TV in the room with my bike and treadmill, so I watched that to take my mind off things.  Figured it's making me mentally stronger if nothing else!!!
2012-10-15 10:24 AM

A person with a real job and other real world issues is going to find it time effective to use the indoor trainer for the weekdays rides.  One longer ride outdoors on the weekends works well.  Of course during the winter months, the outdoor weeekend ride is done indoors or spent nordic skiing which is seperate topic.   I have not had trouble riding my comptrainer indoors for 60-75 minutes.  Longer session require the use of those Real Course videos.  I have gone as long as 2 hours and 45 minutes and anything over 2 hours can strain me mentally.  At this time of the year, I restrict myself to around 80 minute long session which gradually increase in time beginning the middle of January.   I have been known to follow up a Comptrainer ride with an outdoor run (brick) to make the workout session longer.    
2012-10-15 11:09 AM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California

My longest ride on the trainer this winter will be 105-115 miles training for HITS IM in Palm Springs.  It will take me more than 5 hours to do the 115.   I typically do ya anything from 20 to whatever on the trainer.  This is my latest IM (December) so will be the first primarily trainer IM.  I did a HIM based on only trainer work this spring though.   Intensity varies with the workout. I count miles and minutes the same, indoors or out, the legs are still moving.  Sweat a lot more indoors, have better food and colder drinks, bathroom is much closer and I can give my sweety a kiss at the half way point. 

2012-10-15 11:11 AM

User image

Master
University Park, MD

I do almost all of my riding on the trainer, year round. I don't do IMs; I do go up to HIMs, and also do some IM-length and longer bike-only events.

For logging, I don't really worry about equating indoors and outdoors, since there's not a lot of outdoor riding, and the outdoor rides serve a different purpose.

I have never ridden more than 3 hours on the trainer in one go. I'm not yet tough enough for that. If I'm preparing for a long event, then I'll use some long outdoor rides to fill in the endurance that goes beyond the 2-3 hour trainer rides. The main thing that I find that I don't get from trainer riding is the back/core strength that is needed for sustained riding outdoors -- probably due to the constant minor movements needed for bike handling. I get a rather sore back on my first outdoor long ride. Never have that problem indoors.

For the long indoor rides, I rely heavily on the free movies that come with Amazon Prime, running off my laptop.

2012-10-15 11:17 AM

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin

I have never rode the trainer longer than an hour myself.

This year, though, I plan on actually doing some winter bike training using the trainer to work on my bike aspect.

A minute is a minute to me - T.I.T.S!

2012-10-15 11:20 AM

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il

I haven't done IM.  I mainly train for HIM distance.  I do spend 3 hours or more sometimes on the trainer.  I spent 3 hours Saturday, and 3:05 Sunday this weekend. I don't like to spend that much time on the trainer, and would rather spend the time outdoors.  However, I'd rather spend the time on the trainer than skip the workout.  I've discussed with my coach trainer vs. outdoor in case weather is bad.  He told me to try and spend the same time prescribed outdoor on the trainer, but at worst case do an hour less on long rides.

I do different things to break it up depending on what type of riding I was supposed to be doing outside.

If I was supposed to do an easy ride, I do 60-65% 20 minute intervals/5 minute break until I hit the time I need.

If I was supposed to do a harder ride, I'll do 20 minute to 25 minute intervals.  Some I'll add 1-5 minute climbs 2x during the interval.  Some, I do 1 minute at Threshold on 3's and 8's.  I just mix it up and make it up on the fly so there is some randomness like a real ride.

2012-10-15 1:53 PM

User image

Boulder, Colorado
FELTGood - 2012-10-15 7:03 AM

thanks

I almost all my training on the trainer. Nothing more than 90 minutes, but it's a hard 90 minutes. I do longer rides outside if I am training for something longer than an OLY.

To answer your questions:

1. No way! That's way too long. What I have done and have my athletes do is 1 hour bike, 30 minute run x 2. This is a great 3 hour workout.

2. n/a

3. yes, IMCA in 2001, my bike time was 5:39. Longest ride on the trainer was 2 hours, and that was only once. I did 3 long rides outside. Long as in, over 80 miles.I never rode 100 miles at any single time.

4. Once I did a full day. 4 hours x 2 with a short stop. Waste of time! I wish I could have those 8 hours back!

5. Yes. Effort level at IM pace.

6. Yes, although its my feeling that riding on the trainer is harder than riding outside b/c there is no coasting and no downhills, even on the compu trainer!

I were you, I would ride 2-3 rides per week inside, at about HIM effort - Zone 3, 85IF, 7/10 RPE. That will give you the most bang for your buck. Mix us the cadence, sitting, standing, etc, just like you would on the road. Lots of ways to change it up.

2012-10-15 3:24 PM

User image

Regular
Santa Clara, UT

I am certainly no expert, but I average 150 total miles per week.  For me, I have found no replacement for the long rides on the road and hills on the road.  So, except for my weekly long ride and one hill workout each week, everything else is done on a trainer in 90 minute sessions.  On occasion, when weather does not permit me to get in my long ride I will try to pound out a slow 3 - 4 hour trainer ride.  Oh man, it's torture! So I would say that about half of my riding is on a trainer.  It's a very safe and valuable tool for training, but cannot COMPLETELY replace the road.

2012-10-15 3:28 PM
in reply to: #4453982

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tennessee
I have a friend who did Ironman Louisville in August who trained about 95% of her bike on a trainer in the mornings before work. In fact she did most all of her training in the morning hours, 7 days a week. Married, two year old and a three year old, full time job with a large international company. How? By getting out of bed at 4AM every day and doing her training schedule.  Of course the longer stuff was on the weekend mornings. Takes alot of effort and discipline but it can be done.

Edited by rbishop01 2012-10-15 3:32 PM

2012-10-15 3:37 PM

User image

Melon Presser

1) Do you use the trainer for your long rides? (3+ hrs) YES

2) if yes, what is your longest ride on the trainer? 7 hours

3) have you done an IM using a heavily trainer based bike program? I DNF'ed an IM but biking on a trainer was not the problem.

4) What is your longest ride on the trainer? any 5+? See above, and yes, a bunch of 5+.

5) If you have done long rides , how was your effort level? did you still break it up into intervals? Just about IM race pace (okay, that's ridiculously slow for me, but that's my answer). Pretty steady effort. Several of my long rides had one or a few segments of 10min at Z4 because that's what was on the plan.

6) Do you count a minute as a  minute for logging purposes vs. outdoor riding? Yes.

Random extra thoughts:

Some folks get off or at least get up on the pedals every hour or so; I found every 2 hours was fine for me on long rides and if the ride's only 3 hours long I don't get off at all.

IMLP has hills so you'll need to take that into account and use your gears and training accordingly.

Even if you're doing crazy long rides, my advice is train like you're training outside. No BTing, no yapping on the cell phone/texting, no knitting ... whatever. I did take my aerobars completely off, rearrange and put back on during a ride, but I'm crazy.

You're also not getting all those little developments and refinements of trunk stability on the trainer that you'd be using on the open road just to balance and handle the bike. This may or may not be a problem for you, and to be honest I'm not sure how to address it, other than putting as much road riding in as you can (or doing some occasional standing work, but that's just a guess).

2012-10-15 4:43 PM

User image

Elite

Thanks for the input, it has been an interesting read...this was what I was looking for.......Though I am not overly  fast in any of the disciplines, I feel my Bike could be my biggest weakness point  because with my schedule, getting those long 4+ hour rides are diffcult to do outside, and I feel I am more efficient on the trainer as long as I am not riding like I am sightseeing in a park.

So even though come the spring, I will be finding the time to do the typically prescribed long rides preparing for IMLP, I want to get ahead of the game now and mix in the typical Jorges type workouts but also get some and start getting my body ready for an approx 7 hour ride, albeit currently on a trainer and not the road.......but I forsee that most of my time from now till spring will be on a trainer except for a duathlon or two.

thanks!

2012-10-16 4:11 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
FELTGood - 2012-10-15 9:03 AM

Yes

5:45 minutes last year

Yes

See above

I do all of my long rides with intervals, on the trainer or on the road. IMO, on the trainer it is even more important to break up the ride with intervals to keep my head from exploding out of boredom. Also, I do most of my long rides at an effort level that is harder than IM pace. I want my IM ride to feel like the easiest ride of the year. I get off the bike after most long rides completely smashed by the workout.

1 minute equals 1 minute

thanks

My only problems with the trainer: First, it is so easy to zone out and just cruise along at a specific wattage on the trainer that sometimes it becomes a little hard to keep my power "band" narrow on the road. I get to the point where I am not used to the up and down hills and forget how to keep my power steady in the real world. Second, the static position of the trainer is much harder on the posterior. The bike never moves from side to side. There is no getting up out of the saddle for climbs. Just the same contact point of your rear end to the seat the whole time. I have only gotten saddle sores while logging trainer miles. It does add to the HTFU aspect of the trainer.
2012-10-16 4:13 PM
in reply to: #4454712

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
FELTGood - 2012-10-15 5:43 PM

Thanks for the input, it has been an interesting read...this was what I was looking for.......Though I am not overly  fast in any of the disciplines, I feel my Bike could be my biggest weakness point  because with my schedule, getting those long 4+ hour rides are diffcult to do outside, and I feel I am more efficient on the trainer as long as I am not riding like I am sightseeing in a park.

So even though come the spring, I will be finding the time to do the typically prescribed long rides preparing for IMLP, I want to get ahead of the game now and mix in the typical Jorges type workouts but also get some and start getting my body ready for an approx 7 hour ride, albeit currently on a trainer and not the road.......but I forsee that most of my time from now till spring will be on a trainer except for a duathlon or two.

thanks!

PS. I have gone from struggling to maintain 19 MPH in a sprint to holding over 25 MPH in my last Olympic with 90+% of my cycling on the trainer. It does make you stronger. So does riding on the road. Good luck. There will be days that you dread getting on the trainer......
2012-10-16 5:15 PM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

1) Do you use the trainer for your long rides? (3+ hrs)I'd say probably 50/50, mostly dependent on weather.

2) if yes, what is your longest ride on the trainer?4 hours (i think)

3) have you done an IM using a heavily trainer based bike program?yup, personally i feel i get better workouts on the trainer.  No hills to coast down.  

4) What is your longest ride on the trainer? any 5+?  didn't you just ask this in question 2?  4 hours (i think)  :-P

5) If you have done long rides , how was your effort level? did you still break it up into intervals? longer rides I usually take it steady and easy because intervals on the trainer kill my legs fast.  Shorter workouts I do lots of intervals though.

6) Do you count a minute as a  minute for logging purposes vs. outdoor riding? Yup, i count/log minutes and miles exactly as they are on my computer no matter if i'm on the trainer or on the road.  Certainly i'm 4 or 5 mph slower on the trainer so I could skew it and not feel bad, but I don't bother.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » ? for those who use the trainer for a majority of their bike training Rss Feed