General Discussion Race Reports! » Survival of the Shawangunks S.O.S. Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Survival of the Shawangunks S.O.S. Triathlon - TriathlonOther

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
New Paltz, New York
United States
Survival of the Shawangunks
Sunny
Total Time = 4h 55m 58s
Overall Rank = 10/140
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 2/20
Pre-race routine:

Bike: 1:36
Run1 34:49
Swim1 30:27
Run2: 45:10
Swim2:17:27
Run3: 52:55
Swim3: 14:23
Run4: 4:51
Event warmup:

This is an amazing race that I highly recommend to any triathlete. I love straight up races, but this is a fresh take on triathlon that offers a challenge and a mental break from the standard swim-bike-run. It's small, racer friendly, beautiful, and challenging.

I had done the race once previously in ~2007. It's a busy time of year, so I haven't been back yet, but was thrilled to finally be able to return to the Shawangunks for another try at this race. The race involves a 30 mile bike with a decent climb, 4 runs, and 4 swims. After completing the bike, you alternate between running and swimming and have to carry your own equipment through each event (goggles on the run, shoes on the swim, etc.). There are also individual prizes for several of the events (one of the swims, the longest run, and the final sprint up to the tower).

The last time I did the race, I did fairly well, but really was more in it for the experience and to try to win the run portions. I swam with my shoes on and went extremely easy the rest of the legs. This time around, I decided to go a bit harder overall. My ultimate goal was still to try to win the run portions, but I would try to do well overall as well.

The finish for the race is at the Mohonk Mountain House. The resort is absolutely stunning. After the last race, I declared that the next time we were going to come race and stay at the resort. When planning this year, I went as far as to make reservations for rooms, but in the end I decided to cancel them. Rooms are as much as $600/night! They are inclusive of food, but with the race, the pre-race meal, and the post race meal, it didn't make sense to pay that much. Instead, we rented a house in New Paltz with ssi, Mitch, and the Johnsons.

It was a bit crazy logistically, as K was traveling. I flew into CT on Fri night and then K flew in Sat. morning and we picked her up on the way out of town. The plan was to stay in NY Sat, race, Sun, and then go back to CT for some relaxing time before flying out Mon morning. It actually worked out well and we all went to the pre-race dinner Sat. night with no hassle or problems.

Sunday morning we all packed up the car and made our way to the race site. We didn't have a ton of time, but luckily it's a small enough race that traffic, parking, bathrooms, etc. were not a big problem. Volunteers actually ushered Craig and I into the women's bathroom to keep the lines moving. We said our good bye's and good lucks and rode over to the staging area to get started.

I was in the second wave and got settled in pretty early. I was pushing it a bit more than last time and was holding my position fairly well. Plenty of people were riding away from me, but there wasn't a stream of people passing and I was comfortable where I was. It was foggy and a bit chilly, but I was plenty warmed up by the time I hit the climb and had no temp issues. I learned the night before that Alex Sherwood (previous winner and the one who beat me on the run sections last time) was not racing this year. While grinding my way up the climb, I came around a turn and saw Alex standing alone on the roadside. I told him "No offense, but it's good to see you wearing jeans today. You are the only one who beat me on the runs last time I raced here!" He laughed and cheered me on. He is definitely a good dude and as much as it would have been special to go up against him again, I'll take the help.

I finished the bike and saw Mitch and Sis waiting. Sis ran me over to my run stuff, but I realized as I changed that I left my garmin on the bike, so we both ran over to catch Mitch before I headed out for the next run leg. Sis always knows what she is doing, so it was a great smooth transition.

The first run was definitely more challenging because of a change in course that added a long climb early on, but I was feeling good and pushed through it. I chased down one other runner almost the whole way and it kept me focused. Again, I was holding back a bit, but was not taking it easy. I just wanted to save a little something and stay smooth. I hit the first swim and was ready to go for a swim.

The first swim is the longest. 1.1 miles, and unfortunately, because of rain possibly, it was not as clear as the first time I raced there. It was still an excellent swim and so much better swimming with my shoes tucked in my shorts behind my thighs rather than still wearing them. It took a few seconds to get situated right, but did not slow down my swim noticeably and felt great. I exited the water and started run #2.

Run #2 was freezing. The water felt comfortable, but now that I was getting at a higher altitude and soaking wet, it was cold. Better than hot though and I just pushed along. This run starts to take you along the cliffs overlooking the swims and is breathtaking. I caught a few other athletes and joked with them that they should take some time to enjoy the view. None of them took me up on the offer though and we all headed up the trail. It struck me on this particular section how amazing this race is. Most races are fun in hindsight or fun if you do well, but this race is different. Even in the middle of racing, I thought to myself that there was nowhere else I would rather be and nothing else I would rather be doing. Running those trails and swimming those lakes was a perfect way to spend a beautiful fall day.

I made my way through the 2nd swim. I found out I was in the top-20 at this point and still had the hard run to go. I swam steady and when I finished I took my time to get some food in me and stretch a bit. Sis, Amy, Mitch, and Ben were all there cheering and I was excited to get to work. I lined up at the timing mat, hit the lap split and took off. It starts with a sprint up some rock stairs and then settles onto a path. At the end of a path, you hit a road and descend for about a mile on a steep winding section of road that is just brutal. The pounding and concentration it took to stay in control and not give up any free speed was the only part of the day I didn't enjoy. I made the bottom at ~5:30/mile pace though and was happy to have a jump start on a fast split. The next ~6miles is mostly flat on crushed stone. It is a nice run, but seems to go on forever when you are racing all out. I reeled some runners in and kept the pace high until I finally hit the turn. The last section is ~3/4mi. straight up. I was going all out and barely running in place. I knew I couldn't let up though and pushed. I finally crested the top and swung onto the trial to the lake. I came flying into the mat and all but dove for it (as your timing chip is on your wrist). There were two volunteers there. One of them was taken aback by my entrance, but the other knew what was going on and as I collapsed onto the railing of a fence there, explained to the other that I must be trying to win that run split. I had no idea how I did, but I put in my best effort, so I had no regrets. I finally was able to breath again and took off my shoes for the final swim.

I planned on taking the final swim easy as a recovery swim, but as I got through the swim, I started checking my watch and seeing the time move closer and closer to 5hrs. If I wanted to break 5hrs, I couldn't afford to take it easy, so I started to push it. I got more and more frantic/nervous as I approached the finish and it seemed like forever to get to the cliffs. The swim exit is tough to eye up until you are on top of it and the cliffs are full of screaming spectators. It's an amazing atmosphere knowing you are so close to the end and just one of the great moments of this race.

The final run is ~3/4mi. sprint straight up a mountain to the sky top tower. There is also an award for that run and although I cared more about the other run, I wanted to give it my best effort. I took a minute to collect myself and get my shoes back on and then took off for one final push. Again, I was going all out and felt like I was barely moving. Hikers were parting the trail in front of me as I came up on them. Some were faster to move over than others, but all gave me words of encouragement as I passed and helped me keep pushing. I finally came up over the ridge and made the sprint for the line. I couldn't believe I broke 5hrs and took 10th place on the finisher's board. I caught my breath and went over to see Sis and Mitch with a big smile on my face.

We hung out and cheered on the other racers. It was exciting to see everyone finish and we saw K and Craig come in. I expected K to be a bit crabby after all the trail running in wet shoes, but she was amazing. She placed in her AG and said that she could do this race every year! If that's not an endorsement I don't know what is.

Earl, Marna, and Jack surprised us by coming to see the race, and we all headed down to the post race dinner and awards. The dinner is on the grounds of the resort and although not quite as good as the previous year, it is still the best post race meal in triathlon. I was surprised to see that I placed as well and was ecstatic to see K get an award. They still had not posted any of the awards for the individual legs though, so they were being announced cold. The emcee for the awards was Alex Sherwood, so although I didn't get the chance for a rematch, it was still good to have him at the banquet at least. I sat at the table nervous as they read the awards and when they announced my name for the Trapp's run section, I jumped up and ran to the front. I am always humbled and thrilled to win something at a tri, but this one was special. I have wanted to win that run since I first read about that tri and I couldn't believe I did it. I found out later, I won that run by :02 seconds! Unbelievable. Alex handed me the plaque and then proceeded to tell everyone about our exchange on the bike! Pretty funny.

At that point we all finished eating and had long drives so we started to gather up our stuff and head out while they finished some of the last AG awards. We swung by the bathroom and as we were walking out, heard them announce my name. In all my excitement of the TRapp run, I completely forgot about the SkyTop run split and was able to take that one as well.
What an honor to be able to win both of those.

Swim
  • 00m
  • 3696 yards
  • / 100 yards
Transition 1
  • 00m
Bike
  • 00m
  • 30 miles
  • 0.00 mile/hr
Transition 2
  • 00m
Run
  • 00m
  • 18.7 miles
  •  min/mile
Post race
Event comments:

One of the crown jewels of triathlon. I would recommend no one else goes there to race though so I can continue to race there. :-)

Last updated: 2012-06-11 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:00:00 | 3696 yards | / 100yards
Age Group: 0/20
Overall: 0/140
Performance:
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:00:00 | 30 miles | 0.00 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:00:00 | 18.7 miles |  min/mile
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2012-10-15 3:37 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northern Virginia
Subject: Survival of the Shawangunks S.O.S. Triathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Survival of the Shawangunks S.O.S. Triathlon Rss Feed