DRC Sports
83F / 28C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 01m 36s
Overall Rank = 60/171
Age Group = Clyde
Age Group Rank = 2/9
Pre-race routine:

Up at 5. Cliff bar and bottle of water. Dropped my bike off the night before and set out everything I'd need so pretty much just put it all in the car and headed up to the start, a whopping 3 miles down the road.
Event warmup:

Went and set up transition then helped my dad set up his for his first sprint. Sat in the rain and waited for the TT start due to the canceled swim.
Swim
  • 00m
  • 2112 yards
  • / 100 yards
Transition 1
  • 00m
Bike
  • 2h 54m 16s
  • 56 miles
  • 19.28 mile/hr
Comments:

Had a plan and pretty much tossed it out the window with the wind. Started with my HR up and kept it on a borderline uncomfortable level the whole ride. Tried to stay where I thought I could do the run but wanted to be coming of the bike confident with the run which I didn't do. Honestly didn't think I'd break 3 hours with little to no wind so actually impressed myself breaking 3 hours with horrible winds. Even more impressed with the skill level of people on there bikes. I was crazy happy with my ride and was barely MOP. Didn't have my race wheels due to a broken spoke but don't think it would have changed much. My 3 hour bottle of Infinit was spot on as it had been in training.
What would you do differently?:

Tough to tell. I live at the beach and honestly can't remember many training rides in conditions like this race. Wet roads and high winds made for a fun first HIM for me. If I did anything different maybe keep my HR a little lower
Transition 2
  • 01m 54s
Comments:

Honestly T2 was a blur. I forgot my sunglasses which wasn't a big deal as it was overcast the whole bike ride, then it became and issue when at .5 miles into the run the sun broke out and the morning rain turned to humidity.

Move a little quicker. Just didn't want to screw anything up.
Run
  • 2h 05m 26s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 35s  min/mile
Comments:

Started out way to fast. Wanted to get a 9 min pace going and hold it. Started out with an 8:10. Backed off on mile 2 and from 2-5 held 9 minutes. Then at mile 5.5 got a wicked side stitch. It took .5 mile to get rid of. My 6th mile was 11:30. I labored the next 2 miles at around 10 min miles. I was able to do the remaining miles at or under 9:30 but the damage was done and my 2 hour goal was gone. The run was much harder than I expected. I fared a lot better than some I saw. It was difficult being tired and wanting desperately to stop and walk and seeing so many people walking on the course. I wanted to run the whole 13.1 and am fine with only walking to get rid of the stitch. My 2 hour run bottle of Infinit kept my legs in as much as it could.

Figure out what causes side stitches.
Post race
Warm down:

Stretched right after. Honestly felt pretty good all things considered. Was a little upset because I was afraid I left something out on the course because I could walk around fine and wanted to be falling over at the finish.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The wind and wet road conditions may have slowed my bike down some. The heat and humidity on the run definitely slowed my run time down

Event comments:

Drc did a great job considering what they had to work with. The swim was impossible and it rained most of the night before and morning of the race. The TT start was much more organized than I thought it was going to be. The volunteers on course were amazing and really seemed happy to be out there.

Last updated: 2012-07-05 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:00:00 | 2112 yards | / 100yards
Age Group: 0/9
Overall: 0/171
Performance:
Suit:
Course: swim canceled because apparently 4-6 ft choppy surf is unsafe conditions. Bummed about this because the swim is my favorite part of tri's.
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
02:54:16 | 56 miles | 19.28 mile/hr
Overall: 86/171
Performance: Good
Min HR-136 Avg HR-154 Max HR-179
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: overall flat course with one pretty big bridge at mile 8ish and again at mile 26ish. Crazy winds out of the East which were pretty much crosswinds the whole way.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:54
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
02:05:26 | 13.1 miles | 09m 35s  min/mile
Overall: 49/171
Performance: Average
Min HR-144 Avg HR-172 Max HR-184
Course: Nice overall. The first 4 miles were on our local greenway which is usually really nice and hardpacked. However it rained the night before and morning of. Pretty slushy first 4 miles. The remaining 9 miles were in a very shaded state park. Shaded but humid.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-10-15 7:57 PM

User image

Expert
Fernandina Beach, FL
Subject: Atlantic Coast Triathlon

2012-10-16 1:22 PM
in reply to: #4454976

New user
Subject: RE: Atlantic Coast Triathlon

"choppy surf"?  That looked like nasty breakers for the east coast.  Sorry you missed out on the swim, but that was _way_ too dangerous for most people.  I saw more surfers on Monday after it died down some than Saturday or Sunday.

Do you intentionally run at a higher HR than when you bike?  Or just what happening this race with the weather?  I don't generally monitor my HR on the run, but use it all the time on the bike, mainly as my limiter, like a redline on a tachnometer.

2012-10-16 6:23 PM

User image

Florida
Congrats and great job!  That was a rough day!
2012-10-16 8:39 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
The Center of My Universe
Nice race!  It was a rough day.  Worse was my recovery run down A1A Monday morning when it was 70 degrees, calm seas, and a light breeze!  We missed it by a day...Yell
2012-10-16 9:45 PM
in reply to: #4456055

User image

Expert
Fernandina Beach, FL
waynec - 2012-10-16 2:22 PM

"choppy surf"?  That looked like nasty breakers for the east coast.  Sorry you missed out on the swim, but that was _way_ too dangerous for most people.  I saw more surfers on Monday after it died down some than Saturday or Sunday.

Do you intentionally run at a higher HR than when you bike?  Or just what happening this race with the weather?  I don't generally monitor my HR on the run, but use it all the time on the bike, mainly as my limiter, like a redline on a tachnometer.

Typical NorEaster conditions. Being a little sarcastic, there was no way to even keep the buoys/marker anchored in those conditions

My HR is normally higher running that biking. I just started training by HR and can control my pace, for the most part, by run without it but it's essential for my bike pace. It was unusually high due to the heat and humidity though.

Edited by rjrankin83 2012-10-16 9:46 PM
2012-10-17 10:39 AM

User image

New user

St Pete

Great job-thats awesome that your Dad raced as well.

Definitely looking at Rev3 Fl next year instead.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Atlantic Coast Triathlon Rss Feed