United States
88F / 31C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 15m 12s
Overall Rank = 376/780
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Got up, ate some raspberrires, banana, hb egg, and a gatorade. Pickup up my partner and headed out. Of course I forgot my canoe shoes so I had to turn around and get them. Drove the bike portion and realized it was going to be windy in areas.
Event warmup:

.25-.5 mi walk down to canoe livery after setting up bikes in transition area. Stopped at port o potty to pee AGAIN, then grabbed canoes and headed out.
Swim
  • 1h 09m
  • 7460 yards
  • 55s / 100 yards
Comments:

No way to know how we faired compared to other people but felt like we did OK. Did not dump the canoe and arrived just short of 1 hour goal. For excited as I was sure seemed like a slow way to start the race. Broke a baby sweat but not much. Traps felt the rowing though.
What would you do differently?:

paddle faster, sip powerade during canoe, but did nto want to stop paddling for fear we would get turned around.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

Had to clean sand off feet which took me a while. TIme is included with the run time since we ran second. Grab powerade left from the canoe and took off. Off I go

Estimated time in transition 3 minutes

Not have jumed out of the canoe since they ended up pulling us up to shore. Then I would not have had to waist time cleaning off my feet.
Bike
  • 1h 05m 34s
  • 18 miles
  • 16.47 mile/hr
Comments:

Sucked at beginning since I was exiting transition and got behind a camper exiting state park. Only was going 11 m/h but gave me time to eat my cliff bar and suck some fluids. Passed at least 35 people on bike and got passed by only one person. Man was I hammering the first 12 miles. Then I hit a wall named wind through the open soybean fields. IT was all I could do to stay at 14 mph btu I pushed since I thought my bike time was going to be good for me. THe website said the race was 16 miles on the printout I had, btu ended up being 18 miles so the last 2 miles were a bit of a mental tester. My feet were killing me. I never knew feet could be in terrible pain and numb at the same time. Still kept going, I was kind of into the pain and enjoyment of the whole thing. Then came the finish line in sight, roughly 500 yds, and POP. Blew a spoke again after blowing one two weeks earlier. I was cussing like a sailor. Hopped off and jogged the rest of the way home so my wheel did not come out of true. Just as I hopped off the pavement and onto the last 100 ft to the finish line here come Ryan(19 month old) sprinting out to ge me. Crossed the line holding his hand with Kam and Logan right behind me. It felt really cool to cross with my kids. Even though I was honked off about my wheel it was really satisfying

Get better shoes to limit pain. Not much else as this was faster than my average times in training.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Run
  • 1h 01m 58s
  • 6 miles
  • 10m 20s  min/mile
Comments:

Started out way to fast and my HRM was cussing me out. HR got up to 189 at one point. Tried to concentrate on longer strides so I did not plod too much. Went OK for a while. Cruised through 4 miles and was hurting. They marked on the road every half mile until 4 miles. After that no marks and I was getting frustrated. Lost mental focus for a while. Was dog tired as there was no shade and hot sun. Got passed by about 20 people during run and passed about 8 or so. I did nto think I would pass anyone. Happy with that. Followed a girl with a really cute butt to keep me focused for the last mile(yes I told my wife and she just laughed). Then cam the hill. A .5 mile 60% hill that kicked butt. I saw one person trip and slide down 20-30 feet to give you an idea of the hill. Goal was 10 min miles and since transition was included in my run time I definately hit that mark. Spent about 5 minutes getting ready for bike since I forgot to fill water bottle before the race. Was hurting form the hill, but I told myself I was 2/3 done and that changed everything.

Not start so fast, run more in training and stay focused in run. Ended up pretty good, but felt terrible.
Post race
Warm down:

fall down and hug kids, went and had some grub at tent and went to Logans Tball game after loading up

What limited your ability to perform faster:

need more training, spent my entire life in powere sports so this is a whole new monster.

Event comments:

Was not abel to stay for the fun since Lo had a tball game

Last updated: 2006-06-19 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:09:00 | 7460 yards | 55s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/780
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: It was a river and we paddled down it in a conoe. Passed about 12 pairs and got passed by 1 group. Felt like we did OK but definately could have done better but since it was ourr first we were nto sure how much to push it.
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:05:34 | 18 miles | 16.47 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind:
Course: Slight hills at the beginning but flat flat flat. People at all turns, families out with water and hoses(man I loved those hoses).
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Too much
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:01:58 | 06 miles | 10m 20s  min/mile
Performance: Average
Course: was told it was really flat until the killer hill, but there were many rolling hills along course.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2006-06-19 8:50 PM

User image

Expert
Ross, Ohio
Subject: Morgans Little Miami Triathlon

2006-06-19 8:56 PM
in reply to: #459641

User image

Frugal Gear Geek
having fun with the kids
Subject: RE: Morgans Little Miami Triathlon
congrats on the first tri. Did not know they had C,B,R tris
2006-06-19 9:44 PM

, Alabama

Sounds like a cool tri.  Canoeing instead of swimming sounds intriguing.

Sharon

2006-06-20 6:45 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
northeast Ohio
That sounds like a fun triathlon!  Nice race!
2006-06-20 8:01 AM

User image

Pro
MA
Interesting race.  Nice job on the bike and run.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Morgans Little Miami Triathlon Rss Feed