NorCal Marathon
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 4h 30m 13s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Event warmup:

Jogged from my cousin's house to the starting line. About 1 mile away.
Run
  • 4h 30m 13s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 10m 19s  min/mile
Comments:

Had to pleasure running with my coworker, Christian Chacon. (He qualified and ran the Boston marathon this year.) He's definitely faster than me but he stuck beside me the whole race. He helped the miles quickly go by with his stories.

The first half of the marathon went very well. I wanted to keep a 9:00/mi pace and I actually kept a 8:41/mi pace. Awesome! My nutrition included 1 clif shot per hour along with 1-2 cups of gatorade at the aid stations. Mileage was getting tough starting at the aid station at turn around near mile 16. I would have taken longer at that aid station if Christian wasn't pushing me to keep moving.

The race started to get bad around mile 19. My legs started feeling heavy and felt some cramping in my legs but not enough to make me stop. At aid station around mile 20 I mixed 4 salt packets into my cup of gatorade and drank it. I poured a cup of water over my head. Then I drank 2 more cups of gatorade at that aid station and then kept moving on. I was really feeling the heat at this point of the race.

The race went to worse around mile 24. My legs cramped up really bad, specifically my left hip area, right quad and right calf. I ended up walking. I tried to run but mentally, with the heat, I couldn't motivate myself to run. I felt bad because Christian walked with me trying to motivate me but I just couldn't move any faster than a slow walk at this point. For the first time in my short race career, at the mile 25 aid station the lady was really concerned for me. She asked if I was okay and then she touched my shoulder and said you're not sweating, you're dehydrated. She was insisting I go sit down in the first aid tent but I didn't want to. I told her I was fine and moved on with the race. During the last mile, I tried to jog as much as I could but my legs kept cramping. My legs even cramped up really bad 0.2 miles before the finish line right before the last turn. Then I finally jogged with Christian to the finish line.
What would you do differently?:

1. Study the hourly weather report the night before and pay attention specifically the hours when I plan to finish the race. If it is above 75, then make sure to take 3-4 cups of gatorade at each aid station during the second half of the race.
2. If race day is sunny, then wear race hat instead of race visor.
3. If race day is sunny, then put on sunblock
4. If race longer than 2 hours, then wear different shirt or wear nip guards. ;-)
Post race
Warm down:

My warm down included drinking 2 bottles of water and walking back to my cousin's house (about 1 mile).

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not drinking enough gatorade given the heat of the day. Even though I was mentally pushing myself to my limits and giving it all I got, my leg cramps wouldn't let me run all the way to the finish due to the level of dehydration I suffered.

Event comments:

The race started at 7:30am. Maybe if they started the marathon at 7:00am, the heat would not have affected me as much as it did.

Last updated: 2011-09-19 12:00 AM
Running
04:30:13 | 26.2 miles | 10m 19s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Below average
Race day weight: 180 lbs. Split 1: -Distance: 13.1 -Time: 01:53:58 -Avg Pace: 8:41 -Avg HR: 165 Split 2: -Distance: 13.1 -Time: 02:34:18 -Avg Pace: 11:46 -Avg HR: 161
Course: Mostly flat but had to go under quite a few overpasses, thus on the way back to the finish, these little climbs were challenging. Maybe 40% of the course was on trails with no shade. This did not help near during the end of the course because the heat was really picking up.
Keeping cool Bad Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes