of 56

2013-05-05 11:04 PM
in reply to: #4727896

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC
Subject: RE: Fast Twitch Tri-FULL
davekeith - 2013-05-05 8:24 AM

10 minute PR at the Pittsburgh HM today.

I was hoping to be under 1:50, and I came in at 1:44:16. Was a little aggressive in pacing at the beginning but was mostly able to hold on at the end. It's hard to tell if pace slipped more because of fatigue or more due to the huge hill someone maliciously put at the end of the course. Overall happy with the effort and to Hal Higdon for training me up.

I thought I was catching up to you and would soon be able to swim and run with you but you keep getting faster.  I don't think I'll ever be able to run a sub 8:00mile/5:00km.

I had a bad ride yesterday - 42.5km in 90 minutes (the fun part) then turned around to what could only have been hurricane force winds and it took 2:24 to get back to where I started (the not so fun part) and I was pedaling as hard as I could the whole way (87.6K total).  I went out prepared for a 3hr ride that took 3:54 and I was wiped out by the time I got home.

I'm not sure if I tried to do too much on Saturday after a long run on Friday.  I do feel good today though.  Planning a short run tomorrow (5K) in prep for Bare Bones.  After yesterday I am really hopeful it will be a calm day next Saturday.

Edited by wenceslasz 2013-05-05 11:06 PM

2013-05-06 12:28 PM
in reply to: #4726051

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas
brigby1 - 2013-05-03 1:05 PM
jmhpsu93 - 2013-05-01 7:07 PM 

Oh, and I think my Newtons experiment is an epic failure...two runs of a total of 1.2 miles and my heels hurt.  Not my calves or thighs, my heels.  Nothing terrible but I think I may not be meant for "natural running."

It takes some practice. Not entirely sure if Newtons are fully "natural" with the forefoot lugs, but they are a flatter profile than most. I run most everything now in various types of Altra shoes, with 0mm drop. Came from a couple years of using 4mm Kinvaras. With both switches, it did take some time to relearn the landing a bit. Especially with the Kinvaras, everything was way shorter and way easier than normal distance and effort. "Shorter" may have been 1/4-1/2 a mile early on. "Easier" may have been a couple min/mile slower than normal easy for that too. I didn't always try to add on every single run either. Kind of like a running plan itself, you don't just run x amount more every day, but up and down from day to day. And over time the trend can increase.

I also ran a bit on the treadmill as it was more forgiving. I can feel things happening on there, but it's not a catastrophic feeling if I miss. It can take several months to be really used to them, maybe longer to be fully so.

Do know that I'm 6'3" and can generally move my cadence wherever I want it to when spot checking for fun. I mostly just try to keep a light-on-my-feet feeling though, and let the number be what it is.

Ditto on the early approach to Newtons.  I'm still working into mine, just going up to 1.6 miles today after a couple weeks not going over 1.2.  I felt like I could have just kept going, and don't notice any soreness, but discretion is the better part...

I do notice that I feel like a superhero wearing them!  Aside from the superhero-outfit-colors (and I had orange zensa calf sleeves on, to boot), they just feel sooooo good while bounding along - hard to describe, but I feel more spring in my step with the low drop and the lugs.

Also agree on the cadence piece.  It is one of those skills (like apparently EVERYTHING in swimming) that takes a fair bit of practice, but once you get it, you can dial in a cadence as needed.  Well, maybe except in races, where mine just goes up.

Good luck!

Matt 

2013-05-06 12:32 PM
in reply to: #4727896

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas
davekeith - 2013-05-05 11:24 AM

I was hoping to be under 1:50, and I came in at 1:44:16. Was a little aggressive in pacing at the beginning but was mostly able to hold on at the end. It's hard to tell if pace slipped more because of fatigue or more due to the huge hill someone maliciously put at the end of the course. Overall happy with the effort and to Hal Higdon for training me up.

Fantastic!  Many congrats!!  That's a huge margin for a PR - very well done.

I've run in Pittsburg before, and all I can remember is wishing I were part billygoat, so I suspect you'll be in even better stead for any flatter races (and I've always wondered if there are more hills at the ends of races, or if we just don't notice the early one).

As for Hal Higdon, I've used his plans twice in the last 6 months for my two HMs, and am loosely following along as Kim uses one for our HM in a few weeks (I've committed to being "pace booty" for her race - now I just hope she doesn't end up pulling me along!).  For a run focus, I really like his plans and how they're laid out (used the intermediate the first time and the advanced the second time, then used his 8-week 10k for our race a couple weeks back).

Good on ya!

Matt

2013-05-06 12:37 PM
in reply to: #4728536

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas
wenceslasz - 2013-05-06 12:04 AM
davekeith - 2013-05-05 8:24 AM

I thought I was catching up to you and would soon be able to swim and run with you but you keep getting faster.  I don't think I'll ever be able to run a sub 8:00mile/5:00km.

I had a bad ride yesterday - 42.5km in 90 minutes (the fun part) then turned around to what could only have been hurricane force winds and it took 2:24 to get back to where I started (the not so fun part) and I was pedaling as hard as I could the whole way (87.6K total).  I went out prepared for a 3hr ride that took 3:54 and I was wiped out by the time I got home.

I'm not sure if I tried to do too much on Saturday after a long run on Friday.  I do feel good today though.  Planning a short run tomorrow (5K) in prep for Bare Bones.  After yesterday I am really hopeful it will be a calm day next Saturday.

Wind is brutal on the bike, but those terrible days in training are what make races fun (or at least get you through the race, which then becomes fun in the retrospectoscope).

Kudos for gutting it out - the work will pay off.  Same on the run - a year ago, I wasn't sure I'd be able to run 8m/m again and was pretty sure that those days were likely in my distant past.  Consistency in running has made running MUCH more enjoyable, and I've gotten faster than I used to be as a side benefit (not the other way round, as I'd expected it needed to go - really was just putting in the miles that turned it all around).

Keep after it.  You're doing the work - it will pay off.

Matt

2013-05-06 12:40 PM
in reply to: #4458300

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Apologies up front for copying a post I wrote in another group verbatim (and now mostly copying a copied post, but hey, there are only very few people reading them all!), but this one is so entertaining...  Tongue out

<begin lazy-azz cut and paste here>

Weekend report:

Did a local 5k (Great Bear Run in Needham - terrific event and we used to live in Needham) yesterday that Kim and I were "training through," but at which the kids all ran the mile race and wanted to PR.

Long and short, PR's for everyone!  Laughing  Kim beat my time from last year, placed 3rd in her AG and beat her PR from a few weeks ago.  I beat my 5k PR from a few weeks ago, too (20:21 official, I think - they're s-l-o-w getting the results online), by about 5 seconds per mile, placed 29th/600+ OA and 6th in my AG (the 40-44 group is just silly fast!).  The kids all hit or exceeded their mile targets (Kim and I paced two of the three, and our oldest just got after it on his own!) and got PR's!

On top of all that, we saw old friends and got to mill about in the sun on a gorgeous day! Wow, talk about good times and happy feelings (and a much appreciated gin and diet tonic with lime in the evening).  Wink

After the race, I hopped on the bike to ride home from the race and felt good enough that I just kept turning away from home and extending.  Did about 25 miles in ~70', average power of 234 and weighted average of 243.  Not killing myself on it, but going along pretty hard - felt just terrific!

So, not a "big" weekend, but a high quality one with the family (and racing!).

Matt

2013-05-07 9:29 PM

User image

Veteran
Pittsburgh

MATT - don't think the hill at the end was in my imagination!
Thanks for the kudos.

Edited by davekeith 2013-05-07 9:30 PM

2013-05-08 7:00 AM
in reply to: #4732397

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas
davekeith - 2013-05-07 10:29 PM

MATT - don't think the hill at the end was in my imagination!
Thanks for the kudos.

Surprised

2013-05-08 2:28 PM

User image

Master
Denison Texas

Hey, it's me. I've been down and out for over two months. I had all but concluded this was a non race year, was focused on house repairs, regrouping myself personally etc but this little event in my own home town came up and sparked my competitive juices so; I'm in!

http://www.playtri.com/denisonendure

Ill just do the sprint events and have fun, hopefully get some of my 5k speed back. I gained a pant size in two months! So pool tonight, run tomorrow, get the laundry off my bike and see how much I can get back

2013-05-08 11:05 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC

After swimming today I went out with a fellow I've been training with and drove to Tuc el Nuit Lake.  Then we walked out into the lake and measured the water temp to be 18degC/64degF.  So Friday morning we're heading back to the lake for our 1st OWS of the season.  Last year we didn't get into any local lakes until mid-June.

I'd like to have a watch I can wear in the lake to measure time and distance.  Any recommendations?

Matt - I am slowly getting faster on the run and bike.  Consistency is so important.  Now if I could just lose some more weight.

Dave - Your elevations map is great.  How many feet of climbing?

Jeff - Good to hear from you.

2013-05-09 9:52 AM
in reply to: #4734291

User image

Champion

GANG!!

Yo!  Just back (well, in the wee hours.....) from a week-plus away, and I see activity; guess I'm not "retired" yet! UndecidedWink

It'll take me a bit to get settled, and then I will attend to whatever has come up here.

For nw, though:  DAVE, really well done on a bugger-mean HM course.  That was a fine time for what was thrown at you (make you think you might've run those bike-tour hills last fall instead of ride them?!?), and I will study the map, and your comments as soon as I can.

Nothing to report.  Still minimal workouts, still no plans to race this season........still struggling/suffering from these decisions.  One reaps about what one sows, yes?

Anybody join one of the new groups yet?

See you later on!

2013-05-09 9:59 AM
in reply to: #4732397

User image

Champion

DAVE -

Despite the quick deaprture just moments ago, I am back.  Curiosity got this act, and I was rewarded by studying that "there-but-for-the-grace-of-god-go-I" map.  Good grief, that's a miserable cuss of a RD who designed that course!  I have never seen one that ends with such a rotter of a climb, and I guess anyone who did that hill well should pat themselves on the back for intelligent pacing leading up to it.  i haven't read your comments yet....but were you one of smart pacers??

Thinking about miserable race-ending hills, Atomicman in TN, which I did in late '02, was a HIM that finished with a very awful, twisting climb.  I am terrible at estimating, but I'd guess it was (only.....) about 700 meters from the start of the climb to the finish line.  that was my hardest-ever HIM, but for more reasons than just that hill.

The Pitt H-M hill, though, looks to be longer for sure, and possibly more "elevational gain".  Crimey, not for the faint of heart (or lungs) for that race!

Great work at clobbering away TEN MINUTES for a new PR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2013-05-12 10:16 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC

Bare Bones Duathlon is sort of done.  Final results haven't been posted but I was approx 2:47 which is well over my goal to finish under 2:30.  My training was mostly ineffective and I did terrible (with minor exceptions).  I was poorly prepared at best and I have a lot of new respect for Duathletes.

The race started at 2:00pm in the heat of the day.  My 1st 5K actually went well and I ran a personal best inspite of the heat.  Even still I was all but last to my bike.  I got on the bike and headed out into a stiff headwind (I was praying for no wind at all or atleast no north wind so I got a south wind instead).  I did the best I could into the wind and finally turned around at the half way mark and pushed hard all the way back.  I even managed to make up some of the time I lost to the headwind.  I returned to the transition area in 1:30 (for 33.8km) at least six minutes slower than my training rides.  Just too slow!

I had another fast transition but then I started running out of the area and I had to laugh at myself because I had nothing left in my legs.  I wound up walking a lot and running as much as I could.  About 1km from the finish I was running/walking with two ladies who were as finished as I was until a friend came back to encourage me to the finish so with about 300m to go we got running again.  One of the ladies was having more trouble so I pulled her along with me (gently of course).  The other lady crossed the finish line just before us and I pulled the other lady across the finish right after.

So, I wasn't last by 1 second but as soon as I stopped running I felt pretty bad - lightheaded.  Fortunately my wife was at the finish line and had a chair for me and a sweet little (6yr old) girl came running up with a cup of COLD water that really went down good.  I had 3 more cups of water and two orange wedges that tasted awesome.

I was going to walk my bike home (1km) but when I stood up it didn't take long to realize I was in too bad shape (just short of passing out) so my training friend loaded my bike into my car and my wife drove me home. 

I totally underestimated the race and my training.  So, obviously, I have to do this race again next year but with more training and some bike/run bricks.

I do feel frustrated with the results.  I knew I would be "back of the BOP" and even had doubts about 2:30 but this was worse than I expected.  I'll need to look at tying everything together better.  I've committed myself to the Oli Oly in 5 weeks so I need to figure out running off the bike PDQ.

I need to get faster at climbing hills.  I expected to be some faster on the bike this year after training all winter but so far there is no improvement.

I need to get stronger at running and running off the bike.

I'm not discouraged but I am concerned that I've commited myself to several races and I seem to be less prepared this year than I was last year.

Edited by wenceslasz 2013-05-12 10:31 PM
2013-05-16 10:13 AM

User image

Veteran
Pittsburgh

MATT - congrats on the 5K PR. You edged out my PR from last year. And I'm with you about the M40-44 AG. It's ridiculous.

GEORGE - Thanks for the comments on the HM. I love your attitude man. Keep it up. I wouldn't worry so much about being unprepared. I'm convinced that each year's fitness builds on the years before not just what you did over the past few weeks.

STEVE - Thanks for your comments on the HM. I think I paced it pretty well. It's hard to tell whether the drop in pace at miles 11-12 were entirely elevation related or fatigure due to aggressive pacing. I planned to be closer to 8:00 miles.

JEFF - Glad to hear from you.

Pittsburgh HM RR for the terminally bored.

TWITCHIES - So I did something that I'm excited / panicked about: after a year of hearing about STEVE's love affair with D3 Multisport Wink, I signed up for online coaching through BT. I figured that would be a way to keep myself honest and engaged. What it's done so far is caused me to assess exactly how much training I've done and how (in)consistently I've done it in the past. (When Mike Ricci asks, you answer honestly!) I was surprised to see that I've only average 4:30 hours of training per week so far this year with peaks of 5:46. I think i'm going to have to go back to training in the morning in order to get the hours to fit. Getting out of bed will be half the battle!

2013-05-17 9:03 AM
in reply to: #4745146

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member
davekeith - 2013-05-16 11:13 AM

TWITCHIES - So I did something that I'm excited / panicked about: after a year of hearing about STEVE's love affair with D3 Multisport Wink, I signed up for online coaching through BT. I figured that would be a way to keep myself honest and engaged. What it's done so far is caused me to assess exactly how much training I've done and how (in)consistently I've done it in the past. (When Mike Ricci asks, you answer honestly!) I was surprised to see that I've only average 4:30 hours of training per week so far this year with peaks of 5:46. I think i'm going to have to go back to training in the morning in order to get the hours to fit. Getting out of bed will be half the battle!

I'm thinking about doing the same thing with the online BT coaching next year or starting later this year.  I'm 1.5 years out from turning 50 and want to do Syracuse 70.3 (my hometown) that year and be competitive doing it.  I know that if I have a coach checking on my own accountability things I'll be much better off.   I'm ok at planning out a short term training plan but need something much longer to guide me with the proper phases and all.  My last HIM was 7 years ago and my ability to recover was definitely different back then.

2013-05-19 8:22 AM
in reply to: Donto

User image

Champion
GANG!

Back for a day or so, gone for a week...........and now there are all these changes. Yikes! Technology terrifies me and change never pleases me, and put them together in one threatening package and I'm in deep trouble. Oh, my!

Although it was my intent about a month ago to phase out of here, I seem to be unable to just do it. And yet, it doesn't serve much purpose to be so sporadic in tending to stuff here; hmm.

I have seen that MATT has landed elsewhere, i.e., another group; anyone else? I suspect there are still spots available for you who want/need clear support going forward into the season. I would love to be able to offer it at the level to which I have done so since '09, but I am sticking to my plans to not race this season and therefroe cannot be much inspiration. Moreover, Lynn and I have several more travel plans upcoming, which will remove me further from my computer. Again -- hmmm.

All that said, though, i am still doing some training, and my runs have been pretty fine of late. I did my first OWS of the seson yesterday, and that was a treat. The water was 63 two days ago and 65 yesterday, and so I took the plunge and stayed happy and warm for about half and hour. i will return today, and then it'll be about 4X weekly to OWS; I won't treturn to the pool until October. Halleloo!!! No rides yet, though, as that would be too tempting in terms of starting to entertain thoughts of racing. I will start it up soon, but as for now --- lead me not into temptation!

GEORGE, DONTO, OTHERS --- I will try to get to you soon about your recent posts. (Honest?)
2013-05-20 1:11 PM
in reply to: stevebradley

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas
Hi Steve, all,

Yep, I'm in a couple other groups (Oly and HIM, as I think I'll do my 2 Oly's and am about to take the plunge for Timberman HIM... I think).

I'm still checking in here, though, as I have a few sprints this season and am always interested in how the group is getting on. So, if there are posts, I'm still sticking around...

We did a local 5k this weekend on tired legs. PR'd with 19:35 by my watch and 19:41 official (8OA/3AG), and Kim PR'd and took 2AG! Our oldest got 3AG and a PR in the mile, while our youngest PR'd and our middle got within a few seconds of her PR. Then we hung out with friends in the sun...

Awesome day.

Then it was onto the TT bike for my first time doing hill intervals on it. Different from the road bike, but I really LIKE this bike. And, the short run off the bike was much less wobbly than off the road bike, so that's a plus. Good fun!

Good training and racing to all!

Matt

2013-05-20 10:49 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC
I'm here!!! Horry Kwap. I've been hunting for Fast Twitchies for 3 days. I was beginning to think it had been wiped out. As it is, it was hard to find and I don't know how to just go directly to it.

Today I went out with two fellows and we rode to Osoyoos then up Richter Pass. Richter is part of the former IMCanada route and is a 1300' climb over 11.1 km (6.9 mi). I was painfully slow as is usually the case but I made it all the way up in :49:54 passing a lot of rattlesnakes (mostly squished). At the top we paused for a couple minutes - and I wished I had brought along a camera - not sure if the snow-capped mountains to the south were Canadian or US (they could've been half-n-half) but they sure were beautiful.

Then we headed down into a stiff headwind. I was pedalling as fast as I could all the way down but I couldn't spin out due to the headwind. I reached the bottom (Osoyoos) in :14:06 (avg 47.23kph/ 29.3mph). It was quite a headwind. On the return trip I was frequently hitting mid-fifties (kph) and on the last downhill I hit 63kph/39+mph but the wind was blowing hard across the road. I had to be careful to maintain control.

Sorry, nothing important just a fun ride. At the end of the ride we pulled up to our vehicles at Tuc el Nuit Lake and there were quite a few swimmers in their wetsuits. I waded in to the lake up to my knees - cool but very refreshing.

Last Friday I ran 14K (my 2nd time) and after the 1st 2K I calmed down and felt pretty good for the whole run. I had to walk for a couple minutes at times but when I got to the finish and ran past the fellow I had started out with I joked I was going to run another 7K. I felt like I could have gone on but I'm not quite ready to run a full 21K...yet.

Planning a 10K run tomorrow. I find I'm no faster on the bike and I'm about as fast as I can hope for in the water but I think my best hope for immediate improvement will be to focus a bit more on running. Sometime soon I'm going to break a :30 5K. I won't mind if I never break :20 (like some people) though. Maybe someday I'll hit :27/5K. Just thinking out loud.

I was so excited to find the Twitchies that I forgot what everyone else has posted. I did look half-heartedly through the "open" Groups but didn't find anything of interest. Maybe I'll look again. I've been having fun but maybe not training as hard as I think I should be to be able to do the things I've committed myself to. I need to step it up a bit more.

Steve - Don't worry about posting answers/comments. If you have time by all means I'd like to hear what you have to offer but don't feel pressured to reply. Even though it is slow here I kind of like keeping it going as Mike says so I'll keep checking in - provided I can find my way back.
2013-05-20 10:53 PM
in reply to: wenceslasz

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC
When I went out to the forums I found the way back into Fast-Twitch. yay!
2013-05-25 5:36 PM

User image

Veteran
Pittsburgh
2013-05-27 1:18 PM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

Champion

MATT -

You're probably gdetting great advice elsewhere, But in case none of your new peeps has ever done Timberman --- let's talk!

I've done it three times, I think, plus ridden the bike course independently a few times. AWESOME event, and notable even more for being my very first half-iron. That was back in '01, which also happened to be the first year for the race itself.

Quick comments: Grgeous swim, one of the nicest out there. I guess wind/chop could be a factor, but it never was for me and I don't think historically it has had much effect on the race. Bike is a trip, with the middle 30 miles being fairly docile (if the wind isn't out of the west!). There are some steep (as it were) challenges on the bike, and I will get to a map of the course and tell you where they are located. One in particular is gnarly and then some, but there a few other spots that are noteworthy. It would be well worth the effort to get there once to ride the full course, and once again to do the part from the start to where it hits 108, and then back again. REALLY worth it!! as for the run, two rolling out-and-backs, with only one semi-challenging part each out and each back. It would be good to do one of the out-and-backs as part of a training day there!!

Huge congrats on the 5km -- to yuou and the rest of your clan. good grief, fine, fine, super-fine days all around!!!
2013-05-27 1:27 PM

User image

Champion

GEORGE -

Very fine to see you back at those rides around-about Richter. They seem to be your "signature" moves, training-wise! Believe it or not, I still haven't done my first outdoor ride of the season -- ansd haven't done an inside ride in close to three months. This is what happens when one decides to take a season off from racing, I guess!

That is phenomenal that you are up there doing 14km runs. Why, I remember back when and you were pusging ultra-hard to just knock off a few-km run! It is also thrilling to hear you muse that the run might be the best course to get you to improved race times. Again, I don't think either of us saw that coming back when!

I would never discourage anyone from working to improve on the swim, but for most of us oldsters who are mediocre swimmers, the improvements are ahrd to come by. Well, the significant improvements are ahrd to come by, although the incremental ones can be gotten through persistance and determination. So, keep working at it, to be sure --- and you might even surprise yourself with something that transcends "incremental". here's hoping!

Finally, in navigating through thsi new BT (which I don't like), I went to my file of persoanl messages -----and saw to my chagrin that I seem to have forgotten about ever sending you Carbo-Pro. ACK!! So sorry!! So, with a new season upon you, I will get it to you soon -- which was my plan all along!

2013-05-27 1:35 PM
in reply to: davekeith

User image

Champion

DAVE -

Fine performance, great report (I especially like the "Don't do that" comment in the bike section), and awesome photo. That IS you kneeling in front, yes? And if so, how tall are you? You look very rangy, but soemhow I didn't take for a tall one.

Your transition times look very solid, as does the terrific run --- one heck of an accomplishment off of what sounds like a tough bikie course.

And as for that swim, well, I would kill for you time -- OF COURSE! For me to do 450 in a pool would be around nine minutes on a stellar day.........and you're there carping about whipping through it in 6:20, was it???

But, seriously, I appreciate your slight disgruntlement in light of (a) last year's time in the same pool, and (b) the sense you had that you mispaced it some. But still, I say you should be thrilled to go sub-9!!!

What;s next?
2013-05-27 1:39 PM
in reply to: davekeith

User image

Champion

DAVE again -

How is it going with Mike and the D3 crew? I liked your comment about when Mike asks, you answer honestly. Too true!

Something to know: Mike is a diehard Red Sox fan, more ahrdcore than most, perhaps. He is originally from CT where most folks either walk the righteous Red Sox path or tumble through the dark side of the Yankees --- and Mike wisely chose the former!
2013-05-27 11:45 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC
Steve - I haven't actually been riding as much as last year although I have been picking it up a bit recently. I have been trying to ride up hills as often as possible to try and get faster at climbing.

Running has been going well and I have been slowly getting faster but I'm still very slow. I do believe I'll run 5K under :30 sometime this year. Two years ago I could not have conceived of S/B/R any distance at all so what I'm doing now is phenomenal for me.

Swimming today was good. Then went out for a 1hr run. I started out a bit too fast so I was breathing hard for the 1st Km but after that my breathing and HR settled down and I ran the whole hour except for three short walks. Last year I just couldn't bring myself to do two workouts in a day and now I find it quite comfortable. Crazy talk?

I had forgotten about the CarboPro as well. Good time to remind me I should be getting comfortable with it again. As for the new site. I am getting some more comfortable with it but there were some things I liked about the old site that don't seem to exist here.

Dave - Nice Race, Report and Pic. Nicely done.
2013-05-29 8:58 AM

User image

Champion

GEORGE -

No! Not "crazy talk" at all! One just has to read your post one time through to get a sense of where your training and determination have gotten you -- and then all you say is just par for the developmental course, and nothing close to crazy talk.

That is a good goal for you for 2013 -- a sub-30 5km. For most people it is a distance that a trainable at some intensity without the worry of traditional overuse injuries*, and "recovering" from that training and the races themselves is usually very quick. Of course, things change somewhat when others activities (the S and the B) are factored in, as well as doing races other than straight 5km running races. But it is certainly pretty easy to "train through" any 5km races you do, and they can definitely be an ultra-key part of any sprint triathlon training -- and oly training as well.

So, getting somewaht accustomed to the strain of "going out too fast" on your runs is not a bad thing if you are looking to improve at the 5km distance. at some point you will WANT to go out fast and build your ability to maintain that pace within kind of close limits.....so the suffering you may be experiencing now is just setting you up for future successes.

You might want to try runs in which you do one minute hard, one minute easy and repeatedly repeat, or to keep the easy parts going until you feel ready to push the pace hard(er) for another minute. In a sense that is a fartlek run, but without the total looseness of those; I guess the one-minute goals add some non-fartlek structure to it.

The * above is to say that shorter-distance speed training is not impervious to pain, and at various times I have tweaked (or outright injured) my hamstrings and my Achilles by doing more conventional speedwork. I think for us older guys, for sure, the key is to improve footspeed without altering our mechanics; that is, not aim for high leg-kicks or overstriding. To that end, then ---- WORK AT INCREASING YOUR FOOTSPEED!!!

What to do? Well, don't try to reinvent the wheel in one fell swoop. If you average, say, 81 footstrikes per minute, don't hope to get up to 88 within a month. (And when I say that, I mean that you want the 88 to something you can sustain for a certain amount of time --- like, ideally, for 5km!) Think about taking a few weeks just to bump that 81 up to 83, and DON'T feel defeated if you can do it for one kilometer.......and then you have to dial it back to 81. That is part of the process, and patience is necessary. When I worked at bringing my cadence up to 90, it first took a while to get it there, and then much, much, much longer to make it something that was sustainable ---- mostly a km at a time (and by "time"......that could be a few months). I started at this maybe back in '07, and it wasn't until I did a stand-alone half-marathon in '11 that I knew for certain that I could hold at 90 footstrikes per minute for 13.1 miles. Halleloo!!!!!!!

Keep in mind, too, that cross-training is ALWAYS valid, and that whatever riding you do (especially hill-climbing!!!) will really help your leg-strength. And even the arm-work that is required for hill-climbing on the bike will help your running by enabling your upper body to by a subtle part of your running mechanics. Same with thsoe freestyle arm movements. Win-win-win-win-win!!

Yeah, i need to spend some time here and allow myslef to understand the new format. Right now it is just intimidating, yet another blow dealt to me by the evil empire of cybertech. Bah. (Whine, whine, whine.........)
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Fast Twitch Tri-FULL Rss Feed  

of 56