Oceanside, California
United States
World Triathlon Corporation
Total Time = 6h 22m 5s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Slept in my own bed. Got a reasonable amount of sleep considering this was my first half-ironman and actually only my 3rd triathlon ever. Got out of bed around 3:45, loaded up the car, and toasted my normal cinnamon raisin bagel. Left to pick up Natalie and made it to the race site around 5:30. The nice thing about the two transition areas is the parking! Literally only had to park 0.25mi from T2 and the finish line. Rode my bike the 1.25mi over to T1 and got my bike setup. Since I was just here to have fun I didn't care that my bike rack spot was halfway down the aisle. Starting in a later wave (7:27am) meant also being closer to the bike out in T1, also a nice plus. I forced myself to snack on Starburst and dry cereal but wasn't really wanting anything, ha.
Event warmup:

I put on my wetsuit, hugged my mom and Natalie, and took in a gu about 15 minutes prior to the start. My tri buddy and good friend was working the swim as a volunteer so I got a big hug and we took a few pics just as I was going into the water.
Swim
  • 45m 31s
  • 1931 meters
  • 02m 22s / 100 meters
Comments:

So my goal for the swim was just to survive. The first part of the swim was honestly pretty awesome. I felt fast (I'm not) and then when we approached the turn around you could really feel the chop. But I was so focused on staying calm and finishing the swim that I didn't pay much attention. It was definitely choppy though and navigating the turn in the rollers was tough. Thankfully I can breathe on both sides so I swapped sides and just kept my eye on the prize. Did anyone else notice the distinct smell of boat fuel and fish on the way in? I did, that's how relaxed and calm I was.
I take this as a win cause I kept my cool. I did zero OWS during my training and this is only my third time swimming open water in an event. I'll worry about speed when I actually like swimming and join a masters class.
Transition 1
  • 05m 9s
Comments:

No issues. But people sure do take their time going through transition, it felt like frogger running through the long transition area.
Bike
  • 3h 14m 17s
  • 56 miles
  • 17.29 mile/hr
Comments:

The idea was just to go easy. A ton of speed demons left me in their dust and that was fine. The first half of the course is super fast and I still think I probably averaged 18.5-19.5. I don't race with any kind of data so I just don't know. My only knowledge throughout the bike was the odometer on my simple cateye computer.
The false flat leading out to the first climb didn't really feel noticeable but when you hit the first hill at mile 29-30... you know it. Tons of people walking and I did all the passing except for one guy. I felt strong going up the hill so I just stood and went with it. I was never out of breath and my legs felt a little burn but really still felt easy. All the hill repeats must have paid off. :) The next two hills are definitely noticeable and challenging but I again did all the passing and next to the first hill they weren't bad at all.
After that you head back in toward the coast with the last aid station at the 42-ish mark. Around the 45mi mark, myself and a hand cyclist went back and forth. It was sort of fun, I would pass him on a slight uphill and then he'd pass me on the downhills. And we'd banter a bit.
Coming back into town was a bit slow as they have a no pass zone where there is shared road with the run course. I took off my shoes a bit early on the bike as there is a slight uphill just before the bike in.
Nutrition was pretty good. 2 packages of powerbar gel blasts, package of honey stinger chews, ~1 bottle of gatorade/ironman perform, ~2 bottles of water, 4 salt tabs
Transition 2
  • 02m 34s
Run
  • 2h 14m 36s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 16s  min/mile
Comments:

Skip ahead to 6+ months later and I'm just now finishing this... but this is what I remember.
The first mile out of T2 was rough... my legs felt like dead weights and began cramping. My stomach, which is never an issue, started to bother me. So when I saw a porta potty not occupied I stopped. I also walked a bit at the first aid station and this seemed to help. I was carrying 3 or 4 gels with me so my plan was to walk to the aid stations and take in the gel and swig water. Walking the aid stations seemed to work well for me.
I was fortunate to have friends and my mom in town to watch me come down the finish chute... really amazing experience.
Post race
Warm down:

find the friends and family and drink some chocolate milk.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I should have done more brick workouts, but overall really awesome experience for my first HIM.

Last updated: 2011-07-18 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:45:31 | 1931 meters | 02m 22s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting: