General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Etiquette Question Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2012-10-21 12:06 PM
in reply to: #4461905

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Etiquette Question

Finishing strong is never a crime...if you get passed at the line it's your own fault for not digging deeper or not training hard enough.

Congrats on the PR and a great race!

2012-10-21 12:21 PM

I guess I consistently have poor etiquette! In every sprint I have run this far (a whopping total of 3, soon to be 4), I pretty much sprint at least the last 400m as hard and as fast I can. I run through the finish line and find the first trash can to puke in from running so hard. I don't care if it's in the chute or not, I usually pass at least 8-10 people if not more. I never really looked to see if they are in my AG or not, I just run. It's a race, I give it my all so if people have a problem with that it's clearly not my problem, it's a RACE!!! Two races ago I was passed by one girl on the run, I hung with her the rest of the race and then started sprinting at the end, she did the same and beat me by about 1 second if that. We congratulated each other afterwards on pushing it at the end. Not my age group or anything in fact it was a members only tri to gear up for the real one so it didn't even have splits just total time. Still if I step on the course, I am racing period. If I can sprint the end and finish 31st instead of 32nd, I do it!!

I'm honestly just scratching my head at people who would think this is poor etiquette. This isn't dinner with the queen and we have to use the right fork for the right course in the meal, it's a frikkin competition!!!

2012-10-21 1:06 PM
in reply to: #4462033

User image

Master
Bellevue, WA
brigby1 - 2012-10-20 7:13 PM

pga_mike - 2012-10-20 8:09 PM It is only bad form in the Ironman Finisher Chute.  You know, they announce your name.  It would suck to not give each person a couple of seconds to enjoy their moment.  And you don't want to finish with someone else's name being called.

And even there, if you have a KQ or podium on the line, you are going for it. The other guy can let you by if they want to take it all in. I still don't see it being that big of a deal at these. If you want the finish experience, you look around and time it better.

Nothing wrong with what the OP did.

Agree - the OP did exactly what he should have done in that situation which is RACE.

As for the IM finish line, well now that's complicated.  After having been in 8 of them, there's a time to pass people and a time to not pass people.

Passing OK - the other person is waving to family, walking with arms up in victory, bowing, and so forth.  Yes, I've seen all that.  Well, they've just stopped racing, haven't they?  They're welcome to take their own sweet time, but I'm going to pass them.

Passing OK - an age group podium slot is still in contention (or you think it is), then a sprint at the end is justified.  Make it count, it's still a race!

Passing NOT OK - it's well past most  podium finishes, people are getting their finish line photo, the volunteers are holding up the banner for them to "break" - well then let them enjoy their moment and give them 5 or 10 feet.  I once saw a guy speed up the last 20 feet (literally) at some random 14:47 type finish, and ended up crossing the finish line side-by-side with another finisher who had steadily ran into the chute.  The first guy deserved his moment, and was surprised to see the second guy, as were the finish line catchers etc.  

Perhaps the second guy was all wrapped up in the moment, but it would have be better for everyone if he'd let the first guy have is 10 feet and 10 seconds of glory, and then take his 10 seconds of glory all by himself.

2012-10-21 1:17 PM
in reply to: #4462297

User image

Veteran
asheville, nc

oldrunner - 2012-10-21 11:51 AM Rule of thumb, in my opinion, is if there is a finish line chute you hold your position. If you are a pro or someone looking to win their age group, sure blast away. A 30 year old blowing by a 50 year old at the tape looks cheesy. And yes, it's not about competition it's about etiquette.

Question for you then...I'm racing my race and I'm not a pro, nor do I have a chance of winning my age group, and I see that I could beat my personal record, if I crush it through the finish chute, but there happens to be someone 20 years older than me, the rule of thumb is slow down, don't pass him, and miss beating my goal because in your opinion, it's "cheesy?" I don't think most people take it as personally as you would.  

2012-10-21 2:16 PM
in reply to: #4462374

Master
Northern IL
RookieIM - 2012-10-21 1:17 PM

oldrunner - 2012-10-21 11:51 AM Rule of thumb, in my opinion, is if there is a finish line chute you hold your position. If you are a pro or someone looking to win their age group, sure blast away. A 30 year old blowing by a 50 year old at the tape looks cheesy. And yes, it's not about competition it's about etiquette.

Question for you then...I'm racing my race and I'm not a pro, nor do I have a chance of winning my age group, and I see that I could beat my personal record, if I crush it through the finish chute, but there happens to be someone 20 years older than me, the rule of thumb is slow down, don't pass him, and miss beating my goal because in your opinion, it's "cheesy?" I don't think most people take it as personally as you would.  

And what if the ages were reversed? Almost every local event I did this year was won by someone over 40, 45, or even 50. These old guys can run.

2012-10-21 2:26 PM
in reply to: #4462366

Master
Northern IL
brucemorgan - 2012-10-21 1:06 PM

Passing NOT OK - it's well past most  podium finishes, people are getting their finish line photo, the volunteers are holding up the banner for them to "break" - well then let them enjoy their moment and give them 5 or 10 feet.  I once saw a guy speed up the last 20 feet (literally) at some random 14:47 type finish, and ended up crossing the finish line side-by-side with another finisher who had steadily ran into the chute.  The first guy deserved his moment, and was surprised to see the second guy, as were the finish line catchers etc.  

Perhaps the second guy was all wrapped up in the moment, but it would have be better for everyone if he'd let the first guy have is 10 feet and 10 seconds of glory, and then take his 10 seconds of glory all by himself.

Still with the Ironman finish, in this specific situation, I do understand it more. I don't quite get what someone like that was thinking either. I'm just not as into finish line pics as others are though, so don't get worked up by it like others might. I'm wondering about staying a bit more to one side or the other to crop out the other guy. Not quite the same as the whole thing to yourself, but it can work if done right.

In your case, you saw how it unfolded. Others tend to assume that someone sped up like this when the come from behind was just running faster. And who thinks clearly at the end of an Ironman?

2012-10-21 2:34 PM

User image

Pro

kremedi - 2012-10-20 7:18 PM Ok so here's the deal; I ran my 4th sprint Tri today and think I may have made a breach of etiquette, or so I'm told. I Had my best swim ever today beating last year by over 3 minutes, bike was stronger too by 7 minutes on a very hilly course that kicked my butt. I ran out of T2 and passed a few strong bikers that had passed me earlier. As the run wore on I passed and was passed by a few people One guy in particular I finally ran down and passed who was not in my age group. Another guy I tracked down and passed who was in my AG. With about .75 mile left I started to fade and was passed by both those last 2 guys. I was pissed at myself and pushed hard to stay with them, managed to stay within 20 feet but seemed to be losing ground. The last 100m I found my last bit of wind, closed hard and managed to pass both racers within the last 50 feet. The guy in my AG saw me out of the corner of his eye and sprinted with me but I got him by 2 steps at the finish. A few people in the finishers area took issue with this and thought I was showing poor form. My opinion is HEY, it's a freaking race! If I can catch you and pass I will do it. I wasn't hanging on anyone's tail waiting for the last push to finish. I passed as soon as I could. This wasn't for a podium or a qualifier for another race but I was pushing myself and leaving it all on the course. I'm a considerate racer (I think) and try to do it with as much competitive hunger as I can. I beat last year by 10 minutes, so I'm pretty happy. What are your thoughts?

I'd say good job. It's a race, not a tea party!

This year I got into sprints in two of my races. The first one I won and barfed once we crossed the finish The second I got beat by a step. Both times we gave each other high fives for pushing each other to the limit. Everyone watching us was cheering like mad because we gave them a good show.

eta: If you're not actually racing someone and just want to blow past them in the chute, that's not so sporting. But if the guy next to you takes off, run 'till you puke!

Edited by BrianRunsPhilly 2012-10-21 2:38 PM
2012-10-21 2:59 PM

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii

congrats on your strong race!

you did nothing wrong, and funny how I find a lot of people will start shutting down prior to hitting the finish chute. frankly it's open season still, and why should you have to slow down if you're on a roll ?

One of my first tri's I was passed by a fellow AG'er the last little stretch, and while I didn't like it he beat me (and took "my" 3rd Podium spot)...lesson learned and accepted as part of racing.

Although, you might decide things differently based on the circumstances in a particular race.

Generally, race your race and don't let up till you cross the finish line!

2012-10-21 3:23 PM

User image

Master
Albuquerque
Nothing wrong with it, but where's the harm in holding your position? You already said you beat your time by 10 minutes so another second or three wouldn't matter. 
2012-10-21 3:34 PM
in reply to: #4461907

User image

Champion
Calgary
Left Brain - 2012-10-20 5:21 PM

People are stupid......nice job on your improving times.

yep.
2012-10-21 4:49 PM

User image

Master
Straight outta Compton
Absolutely appropriate IMO... nice finish!  Way to dig deep and kick some butt!

2012-10-21 4:54 PM

User image

Veteran

First thing first....Congrats on an Awesome performance......

You did exactly what I would do....my thought is if I can pass you no matter at what part of the race I'm going to do it even if its 10 feet from the finish line, I was taught dont stop until you pass the finish line, not to let up 10 ft before you get there.....

2012-10-21 5:41 PM

brucemorgan - 2012-10-21 11:06 AM

pga_mike - 2012-10-20 8:09 PM It is only bad form in the Ironman Finisher Chute.  You know, they announce your name.  It would suck to not give each person a couple of seconds to enjoy their moment.  And you don't want to finish with someone else's name being called.

And even there, if you have a KQ or podium on the line, you are going for it. The other guy can let you by if they want to take it all in. I still don't see it being that big of a deal at these. If you want the finish experience, you look around and time it better.

Agree - the OP did exactly what he should have done in that situation which is RACE.

As for the IM finish line, well now that's complicated.  After having been in 8 of them, there's a time to pass people and a time to not pass people.

Passing OK - the other person is waving to family, walking with arms up in victory, bowing, and so forth.  Yes, I've seen all that.  Well, they've just stopped racing, haven't they?  They're welcome to take their own sweet time, but I'm going to pass them.

Passing OK - an age group podium slot is still in contention (or you think it is), then a sprint at the end is justified.  Make it count, it's still a race!

Sounds like we need two sides to the finishing chute.

Left: For those "having a moment"

Right: Those who want to get there in as few moments as possible

IMO it's unfair for the person having a moment to expect others to change their race goals.

2012-10-21 5:51 PM

User image

Expert

My 10 year old son passed me at the end of a family fun run and I was Pisssed!!!!Laughing

2012-10-21 5:57 PM

If there is a finish line chute, then you race to the timing mat/finish line.  That's why it's called a Finish Line!  There is no such thing as a no passing zone.  If I got nipped at the line I'd pat the guy on the back and tell him way to go!

2012-10-21 6:18 PM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
kremedi - 2012-10-20 6:18 PM

Ok so here's the deal; I ran my 4th sprint Tri today and think I may have made a breach of etiquette, or so I'm told. I Had my best swim ever today beating last year by over 3 minutes, bike was stronger too by 7 minutes on a very hilly course that kicked my butt. I ran out of T2 and passed a few strong bikers that had passed me earlier. As the run wore on I passed and was passed by a few people One guy in particular I finally ran down and passed who was not in my age group. Another guy I tracked down and passed who was in my AG. With about .75 mile left I started to fade and was passed by both those last 2 guys. I was pissed at myself and pushed hard to stay with them, managed to stay within 20 feet but seemed to be losing ground. The last 100m I found my last bit of wind, closed hard and managed to pass both racers within the last 50 feet. The guy in my AG saw me out of the corner of his eye and sprinted with me but I got him by 2 steps at the finish. A few people in the finishers area took issue with this and thought I was showing poor form. My opinion is HEY, it's a freaking race! If I can catch you and pass I will do it. I wasn't hanging on anyone's tail waiting for the last push to finish. I passed as soon as I could. This wasn't for a podium or a qualifier for another race but I was pushing myself and leaving it all on the course. I'm a considerate racer (I think) and try to do it with as much competitive hunger as I can. I beat last year by 10 minutes, so I'm pretty happy. What are your thoughts?

Poor form? You two were racing! As long you didn't hit or shove the other competitor, you were fine.

2012-10-21 6:39 PM
in reply to: #4462583

User image

Pro
KateTri1 - 2012-10-21 5:51 PM

My 10 year old son passed me at the end of a family fun run and I was Pisssed!!!!Laughing

HA!!!!!

I know my 14 year old son can trash me...and I'm pretty sure my 12 year old daughter is about to become the second fastest in the family next season.....but rest assured, if I ever find myself in a finish chute with them, and they try to pass me....they will get "the look"........I'll win. Laughing

2012-10-21 7:14 PM
in reply to: #4462621

Los Angeles

As everything, it depends.

This guy is still racing until the end, nothing wrong with that. Even though Lance is pissed.

This guy lets the champion have her moment, very classy but really he didn't have to do it.

2012-10-22 9:45 AM
in reply to: #4462608

User image

Veteran
Panama City, FL

This has happened to me in a local 5K a year or so back. I was the "victim" of being passed in the chute and right at the timing gate/threshold. I took no offense to it. But, race officials talked to the "offending" runner who literally passed me, shouldered past me as we were going across the mat.  Our shoulders literally touched etc. 

They explained to him that it was dangerous to do that going through our "gate" as there was a funnelling/of the running path going through the gate and could have tripped one or both of us. I think their beef was a safety issue. Again, I took no offense to the pass, but the officials who I assume have way more experience than me thought it was poor form as well.

2012-10-22 9:57 AM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

oldrunner - 2012-10-21 10:51 AM Rule of thumb, in my opinion, is if there is a finish line chute you hold your position. If you are a pro or someone looking to win their age group, sure blast away. A 30 year old blowing by a 50 year old at the tape looks cheesy. And yes, it's not about competition it's about etiquette.

Totally disagree. What does age have to do with it? Can I ban 12-year-olds from sprinting past me because I have 20 years on them? There is no "respect your elders" clause in USAT.

It's a race. Of COURSE it's about competition, by it's very definition.

2012-10-22 10:02 AM
in reply to: #4462067

User image

Champion
Philly 'burbs
Left Brain - 2012-10-20 10:55 PM

Still......I'm not diving for anything that I don't get paid for.  

Note to self... don't choose Left Brain when picking teams for the BT softball tournament.

Edited by mrbbrad 2012-10-22 10:03 AM

2012-10-22 10:06 AM
in reply to: #4462438

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas
BrianRunsPhilly - 2012-10-21 3:34 PM

This year I got into sprints in two of my races. The first one I won and barfed once we crossed the finish The second I got beat by a step. Both times we gave each other high fives for pushing each other to the limit. Everyone watching us was cheering like mad because we gave them a good show.

i was thinking this.  i ALWAYS sprint it in to try to look good.  i feel like for people standing around it is more fun to watch some "racing" since they don't see everything out on the course.  i sure love to see it.

2012-10-22 10:07 AM

User image

New user

It's a race....I remember in high school cross country our coach always said to pass as many people at the finish as you can...no matter what place you are in...no matter how fast or how slow you were.   It is about digging deep and giving something the other person could not give.  Now if you had passed and told them you were going to kick their ____ maybe there would be a little sportsmanship issue. 

2012-10-22 12:11 PM

User image

Veteran
the Sipp
brucemorgan - 2012-10-21 1:06 PM

This is exactly how I see it too...a sprint is a race to the finish IMHO, no matter how you cut it.

2012-10-22 12:55 PM
in reply to: #4461945

Extreme Veteran

trifellow - 2012-10-20 8:17 PM Wow! An interesting way to cop a complement..

Wow! An interesting way to get the "Butthole of the Year!" award, but here ya go.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Etiquette Question Rss Feed  

of 3